Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Models vs. Performance

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
Sircameron
Name: Cameron

Re: Models vs. Performance

Post by Sircameron »

You can always divide your maps up.. i.e instead of 1 map being the entire town make multiple maps for "town"-"east/west/north/south" maps.. Then use teleports to/from each of them.. Same with buildings.. Yea you'll have more loading screens but performance will be better.. That way instead of having 100 models on 1 map you could have 25 models on 4 maps.. Might as well make good use of the teleport system.
Runescapedj
Name: Michiel
IRC Username: Sandboxdj

Post by Runescapedj »

Yes, let's make a forest which you walk through in 10 seconds from 1 loading screen to the other
Or you'd have to make it less detailed or for better pc's, I think it really is important to make models change to less detailed versions when farther away, I hate loading screens, it kills the speed of a game and throws you out of the world you were in
I understand it for a big city or a new part of the map, but multiple maps in 1 city/area?
Sircameron
Name: Cameron

Post by Sircameron »

You can always texture walls to give the illusion of heavy forests, buildings, landscapes.. To lighten the load.. We do have animated textures..
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Post by kddekadenz »

I agree on RunescapeDJ. Loadingscreens should be very rarely.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
Runescapedj
Name: Michiel
IRC Username: Sandboxdj

Post by Runescapedj »

Thanks kdd, but unfortunately it is many loading screens or much less models, I don't know what you should choose... many loading screens takes away the feeling of being in 1 world, while much less models make the game look less good...
Sircameron: I think textured walls could only be used when you can't reach them, so that you don't see that they are just textured walls (so only for really far away), else it would look extremely ugly