Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Models

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
stefos
Contributor
Contributor
Name: stefos

Models

Post by stefos »

I created a model in obj format and have imported it into PAS. What I would like to do is make this model into a platform so the player can travel on it, actually this is the problem I want the player to travel in it as it has a roof and walls. I want the player to enter the train model and not have to stand on the roof. Is this in anyway possible ? using objs or any other model format compatible with PAS ? ;) Thanks
Why not create your own cool comics with Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker

Visit Comix Sandbox Here http://www.comix-sandbox.com
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Re: Models

Post by chocolatepie33 »

It probably wouldn't work too well, I don't know what mode (e.g. fps, rpg, etc) you're using, but you could have two maps, one of which is the outside of the train and the other the inside. You could use /vscroll to scroll textures and provide the illusion of movement. If you want an actual moving model, you could try to make an outer shell of the train which isn't clipped (and you can go through) while the inside floor of the train is the moving platform model.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
stefos
Contributor
Contributor
Name: stefos

Post by stefos »

chocolatepie33, thanks for that, your second idea maybe the way to go it has given me another idea. First is there away of linking one cliped and 1 non cliped object together and both still hold onto their own properties, so animation of the floor would also brig along the walls and ceiling ? if this is possible I could build a 2clip walls along the track to stop the player leaving the train while in motion ? or would I have to animate both models ?
Why not create your own cool comics with Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker

Visit Comix Sandbox Here http://www.comix-sandbox.com
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Post by kddekadenz »

Sandbox has no detailed collision boxes yet only boxes and cylinders. I hope this feature was merged with Tesseract.
Then you would need in fact only one model.
Oh and you would currently need more than 2 models. You would need 6 ones (4 walls, floor, ceiling).
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

kddekadenz wrote:I hope this feature was merged with Tesseract.
Why would dynamic lighting come with detailed collision? Of course, that'd be a great feature, but the only cube engine-related stuff with detailed collision were the Lua-based cube engines (e.g. Syntensity and likely Octaforge).
stefos wrote:First is there away of linking one cliped and 1 non cliped object together and both still hold onto their own properties, so animation of the floor would also brig along the walls and ceiling ?
read here and look under md3, you may be able to use the md3link command to get that done.
Save the wiki!
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Post by kddekadenz »

chocolatepie33 wrote: Why would dynamic lighting come with detailed collision? Of course, that'd be a great feature, but the only cube engine-related stuff with detailed collision were the Lua-based cube engines (e.g. Syntensity and likely Octaforge).
I saw this in a video showcasing the features of Tesseract.
I didn't know there exist Lua-based cube engines - I know some Lua in fact :D

EDIT: The Syntensity engine has some cool features and seems to be powerful. However it is no longer developed.
I would like to see more guys developing Sandbox - that would increase speed and quality.

2nd EDIT: Syntensity really has some interesting features. I do especially like the mapmodel collision detecting, the rain, the way modding is handled (it could be simpler though) and the bullet physics. It would be cool if some of this features would be merged with Sandbox. Also there are some cool, but useless features, as a ingame mediaplayer and webbrowser.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

actually, turns out Syntensity uses Javascript and can utilize Python scripts as plug-ins. I'm not so sure about Octaforge, it definitely uses Lua for its scripting (instead of Cubescript, from what I can tell), but I'm not sure about what it's made of (e.g. C++ and Javascript, just C++, or some other combination).

Also, can I see the video you saw?
Save the wiki!
DreamBliss
Name: DreamBliss

Post by DreamBliss »

I honestly know very little about this but I am an ideas guy.

If it were me I would cut up the train model into pieces. I would have my walls (front, back, sides) for each car, as well as my floor and ceiling. Since there is no collision detection outside the bounding box, this would give each piece simple collision with the player. If you wanted a lot of extra details for the interior you would have to design it in such a way that it is inside the surface for collision. To have the details outside the surface would call for wall details (front, back, sides) as well as ceiling and floor details, and these could have no collision.

I would take my train bits and import them into Sandbox. Then I would put everything together. I don't know how you would assign the properties of a mover to these bits, but that would be the next step. They all have to move together at the same rate of speed. I don't know if there is any way to link them or merge them in game as one item with multiple parts.

I do know that movers bounce off map geometry. That means you will need to have map geometry to the sides in some way of whatever path you want this mover to travel. I think it may also work with noclip, but you have to ask someone more knowledgeable about that. If it does work with noclip then your task is very simple. Design your track, noclip to either side of the train/cars along the path, the mover will now travel along the path. Don't know how it would handle curves and such.

If noclip would not work, then you would have to have some way that the map model is constrained by map geometry, so walls, maybe a slot in the ground where the track is, you have to be creative here. You may have to sacrifice some realism for functionality.

I hope that gives you some ideas. Good luck on your project! If I learn any more on this sort of thing I will put up a video. I'm struggling through collision issues myself, but in my case its a set of spiral stairs. Have to experiment and see what works.
- DreamBliss
State what you want for your reality,
But let the universe fill in the details.

My Forums
http://spiritualexplorers.zymichost.com/index.php