Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

How impor into PAS a .obj model and .mtl texture?

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
Neofito
Name: Neofito

How impor into PAS a .obj model and .mtl texture?

Post by Neofito »

Well, I keep working with the textures, and now I'm trying to import into PAS a model with .obj extension and the asociates textures (I think that are difined in the .mtl file)
What I'v done is: in the same foder are the tris.obj and tris.mtl files and also the images for textures deffined in the .mtl file, and in the .cfg file I've gone with this code:

Code: Select all

objload tris.obj

objmtl * tris.mtl

mdlscale 30
When I add the model into PAS the model is added but the textures are missed. I suppose that something is wrong in the .cfg file; or maybe .mtl files don't work with PAS?

Thanks in advance.
sayrken
Name: Tom

Re: How impor into PAS a .obj model and .mtl texture?

Post by sayrken »

Hmm i don't think PAS supports .mtl format
Try

Code: Select all

objskin * trin.mtl
instead of the objmtl

If the texture still not shows up then you need to change it into a .png or .jpg format
Neofito

Post by Neofito »

Thanks for answer.

I guess that yo mean objskin tris.mtl, and it was my first option, but didn't work.

Since I'm ussing different textures for different parts of the model it would mean make a texture map, or is there any direct converter from .mtl to .png??
sayrken
Name: Tom

Post by sayrken »

sorry for the typo. Im not 100% but i think blender can handle .mtl, maybe you can convert it there. Simplest must be to do a new texture map in tattoo or some other texture program.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

I believe that Sandbox doesn't use the .mtl files for the .obj format, as mtl files are related to materials in 3D modelling programs. What you would want instead is an exported texture skin in either .jpg or .png format. What program are you using?
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
Neofito

Post by Neofito »

chocolatepie33 wrote:I believe that Sandbox doesn't use the .mtl files for the .obj format, as mtl files are related to materials in 3D modelling programs. What you would want instead is an exported texture skin in either .jpg or .png format. What program are you using?
I'm using Misfit 3D Model, also have installed Blender (but the interface owns me :cry: ); I've to say that I'm totally new with 3D softwares. I've been able to create materials/textures groups with Misfit and when I open the model .mmd3 or .obj with Misfit the textures are displayed in the Viwer but, haven't found the way to export them to a .png file (maybe something is wrong with the program running in Windows7 64 bits viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4138&p=33686#p33686 or maybe I'm doing something wrong :roll: ). How can i get the .png file via Misfit or Blender?

Thanks in advance.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

I'm not quite sure at all about misfit, even a google search doesn't pull up any reliable results.

if you want to take a gamble with blender, take a look at this video for starters and viewtopic.php?f=24&t=807 for a Sandbox-related version (though it uses an older version of blender)
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
Neofito

Post by Neofito »

Thanks, I'll try( I guess I should) got with blender; basic features I mean :mrgreen:
gametechish
Name: William Province

Post by gametechish »

a .mtl is a txt file I would asume you could change it a little to make it a config file to use
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Post by kddekadenz »

Obj is plain text, too ;) Pas does not need the .mtl file.
Also, I created a tool to help one with creating the configuration files for obj models: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4207&start=0
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox