Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Installing to all users

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
Triggerfish
Name: James

Installing to all users

Post by Triggerfish »

Hello all,
I currently teach a video game design class at the middle school level. We're going to be using Platinum Arts Sandbox Water Wars edition as part of my class, but I'm having trouble installing it to all users. This used to not be a problem with windows XP, but now that we're using windows 7, I can't figure out how to do it. I have admin access to my classroom and I'm looking to get this installed for all of the student accounts. Most of the software we are currently using gives that option (to install for all users) in the setup, whereas this just installs to a default location.
Any help anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
James
Triggerfish
Name: James

Re: Installing to all users

Post by Triggerfish »

Update on this as I'm still having the issue.
1. When I install the latest water wars edition, it prompts for a location to install to. If I install to a location that all students have access to (I created a folder that appears on all desktops) then they are unable to save their maps.
2. The error that occurs says "could not write map to packages\base\fps\nameofmap.ogz"
3. If I install to the desktop for a single user such as myname\desktop, it has no problem writing the map or loading it later.
4. Is there a way to install for all users of the machine? Many of the programs we use such as Microsoft's Kodu have that as an option during the install and then work fine for all of the students.
5. This is definitely a permissions issue.

Update:
I think I just solved it by messing with the security settings on the folder. Apparently they replaced the "all users" from windows xp with "interactive" in windows 7? I set interactive to be able to modify and it now seems to save. I guess I'll find out Monday if that actually works for students.

One thing I'm concerned about: Since it is all coming out of the same folder, won't they be able to access/mess with/delete each others maps? I'm asking since with Kodu for example, it saves all of their work to the documents for that particular user (again, with a prompt during the program install to install for all users of the machine). I'd hate for a student to work on a texturing and modelling project only to find out that some kid from another class either accidentally deleted it, or stole it for their own.

Again, thanks for the help all. If I get this figured out I'm sure I'm going to have some more questions later, but I just have to get started at least.

And man, I wish that the chainsaw had been replaced for the water wars edition. Kids shooting water at each other I can get away with, kids chainsawing each other I'm thinking may not go over so well with the administrators (and the kids really like shooting at each other far more than just racing around like the school edition).
Ghostman Gaming
Name: Tyler Mangino
IRC Username: ghostman1996

Re: Installing to all users

Post by Ghostman Gaming »

I also teach a class in video game design. I think it is better to have the students put their games on flash drives instead of on the school servers. On the flash drive they can take their maps home and work on them there to. If you still wish to keep it on your school server you can also if your server has it put the file into a class work pick up folder. Then just have the students save the program onto their individual account space. some of my students did that also.