Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Adding Multiple Textures onto a Model.

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
GR1M
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Luke
IRC Username: Gr1m

Adding Multiple Textures onto a Model.

Post by GR1M »

I wanted to load multiple textures on a model but don't know how, some one tell me?

The list of textures i have are -

Shirt texture
Shirt Logo texture
Face texture
Pants texture
Hair texture
Another hair texture to make it look dark at the tips

I'm using a obj model.
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo
Radder

Re: Adding Multiple Textures onto a Model.

Post by Radder »

First unless your really want lots of extra high detail texture on your obj object their is really no need to have multiple texture loading.
But if you do go that route, then have you made multiple uvs, one each for the texture you want to load?
Radder

Post by Radder »

I'm not sure if Sandbox supports multiple uvs on the same model file. The main reason to load multiple textures on a model is for extra high detail as each texture as more uv space which gives you more pixels per texture. So unless really necessary keep it simple with just one texture uv for your obj.
If you still want to go the multiple texture loading have you created a uv map for each texture you want to load?
GR1M
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Luke
IRC Username: Gr1m

Post by GR1M »

No i haven't created one yet.
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo
Radder

Post by Radder »

If you have time watch the first tutorial on making uvs for a simple model in Wings3d. Plus Google creating uv maps for game characters. There are lots out there. You will have to setup several material groups (one for the head, legs etc) unwrapped them and then put them all on one UV map. Then use a 2d or 3d paint program to texture the map. Take a look at some of the texture files for the various models in Sandbox and you will get the idea... Once you get use to it, It's not really hard just tedious at times.
offtools
Name: offtools
IRC Username: offtools

Post by offtools »

hi,

as i understand it, textures refers to meshes, if you need two or more textures you have to split your model into different meshes (parented to the same skeleton). in the "uh/chars/man" model we have three meshes (head, body, legs) with three different textures assigned. i'm not sure whats the maximum number of meshes used in a model, will have a look. hope that helps a bit.

and yes ... read other ppls config files (md5.cfg / anims.cfg) especially geartroopers "mrfixit" from sauerbraten is recommended. anyway, you should download the sauerbraten documentation, you will find a special section for models there.

offtools.
Radder

Post by Radder »

Grim ,I am been keeping things simple as it is easier to uv map one object then create a single texture map and with a 1024 texture image size you should be able to get plenty detail in the charactor for Sandbox. In the long run it is learning by doing. There a number of ways to plan, design, model, one object or several objects,texture with one uv or several uvs,animate with bones etc. In the end it's how you are going to use the model inside your game that is the overall deciding factor on how to plan, model, texture and animate.

offtools, that is a good method too. :)