Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Unique map sharing problem (can't get friends to see my map)

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
kurosh

Unique map sharing problem (can't get friends to see my map)

Post by kurosh »

Here's the problem in a nutshell: I made a highly detailed map to play and edit with friends, but when I enter the map with my friends, they can only see the oldest version I saved, not the newest version.

Now before you try and answer my question, let me go into detail on what I think is wrong and what we've tried...
(also, I use a Mac OS X version 10.7.5)

-I originally downloaded version 2.8, thinking that the newest version of anything is the best to use. I made just a couple edits like a giant tower and a grassy hill. Then I saved that map and called it, "MercadiaTest". After messing with the game and having a hard time doing much with it, I looked online for tutorials. The most information and videos I found were for version 2.7.1. That version looked a lot easier to use and again, most the reference material I could find was for version 2.7.1... so I downloaded it (now I have both versions downloaded). I thought I would just continue using the same map that I started in version 2.8, so on my desktop I created a folder called, "Platinum Arts Sandbox" and put both the "sandbox" folders for versions 2.7.1 and version 2.8 in there. I opened up version 2.7.1 and loaded the map and continued building...alot.

Hours and hours of work later, I tried to get some friends into the map. I couldn't figure out how to get a server working on the Mac (even using the wiki info), so I had my friend using a PC make one. He did and I sent him all my map files of "MercadiaTest". There were files that ended in ".ogz", "-art.cfg", "_305615.BAK" and "_305615.cfg.BAK".

Now here's where things get interesting: we can be in the same maps together, whether they are preloaded maps or any map he's created. The problem is that whenever we try to load my map, we get the following errors: we both are in the same space in the game, we can see each other and everything, but what we see is completely different. He can only see the stuff I made and saved in version 2.8! All he sees is that tower and grassy hill, but what I see is a castle, town, forest, etc... and once again I say, we're in the same space and time and can interact with each other, but we see completely different things.

So here's a couple things we tried: I tried loading my map (MercadiaTest), then I tried saving it under a new name (both while version 2.8 stuff was on the computer and again with all 2.8 stuff off the computer). It saved just fine and I could load it back up just fine, but there are NO NEW MAP FILES SAVED ANYWHERE ON MY COMPUTER! As a matter of fact, no matter what I do, change the name, start a new map and save it under a different name... I have never seen the game make any more map files, such as "MercadiaFinal.ogz".

I am baffled that the game can save a map and yet have no record of it anywhere. I've done searches that check the whole computer and those saved maps are nowhere to be found. If only I could find those files, I could email them to my friend and using his server, we could play the game.

I've even deleted all Platinum Arts Sandbox files from my computer, re-downloaded version 2.7.1 and somehow all my saved games are still there, but when I go try and find the files, whether it's in the fps folder (sandbox>packages>base>fps) or just doing a search in the "finder" for the whole computer, there's nothing. Even the new map I just made and saved as "A" is nowhere to be found.

So PLEASE, anyone, what can I do to just play this map I made with my friends? I really don't want to log on with my friend and pretty much have him build it again and then send me the saved files and connect. It's already built, it's done. Even if I started over on my own, I can't find any map files to send him.

Thank you,
Kurosh
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Re: Unique map sharing problem (can't get friends to see my

Post by Hirato »

Sandbox uses your home directory for its user files, such as your maps and things.

Since you're on a mac I don't have a clue where that is, sorry.
I'd look under a folder with a name like "Library" and work from there.
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
kurosh

Post by kurosh »

Okay,thanks, I just did that too. I also went to my "finder" which is basically a search engine for every file on my computer. If type "sandbox" into the field it will show me every file on my computer with "sandbox" in the name AND what directory to find it in. The problem is that EVERY map I create in the game now has no file record ANYWHERE on my computer. Now there's no file with "Mercadia" anywhere in the title (even though I can load it and play it by myself) and all the other maps I make, well the same thing happens. It's as if sandbox is getting these map files, and saving them somewhere, but they're invisible, lol. Sounds dumb, but I seriously have no idea where the game is loading these maps from. All I need is to find the map and send a copy to my friend, so we can jump into the same map together.

Does anyone have any more ideas?
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

Make sure you are searching hidden files too. Maybe it is making a hidden folder? I know sometimes in Linux that's where data is stored so it might be the case on Mac too since they are both Unix based.
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
kurosh

Post by kurosh »

So I took your guys' advice again and just tried searching hidden files. The only hidden files I found that had anything to do with sandbox were a folder called "Trashes" next to the launcher (by the way, that file was empty) and another reoccurring file that was only labeled ".DS_Store". I didn't know what that was so I didn't touch it.

Once again I've failed to locate any of the maps I've created and really the biggest point is that I can't play the maps I've made with friends (but can load/play on my own).

You guys have any other ideas?