Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Installation of PAS 2.8.2

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
johnno56
Name: John

Installation of PAS 2.8.2

Post by johnno56 »

My machine in Linux Mint 18 (64bit).

Download and installation went without a hitch. Running it was a different matter...

Executing via the "Games" menu produced nothing. Opened a Terminal and executed 'sandbox' and was presented with the following error...
"/usr/local/bin/sandbox: line 132: ./bin/sandbox_client_64_fps: No such file or directory"

I checked the 'bin' folder and all the 32 and 64 bit 'sandbox_client' files are present and all are owned by 'root'.

Can someone offer a solution please?

Much appreciated.

J
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Installation of PAS 2.8.2

Post by Mike »

I've recently started using Linux after mainly working on Windows and I'm having the same problem. I'm going to see if I can get some help from Hirato since he is the Linux expert. Also I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but does 2.7.1 work for you? Thanks for your post and rest assured I'm looking into this!
-Mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

Many thanks for looking into this problem, Mike. Much appreciated. Actually, I have not tried 2.7.1, but will download and test it and get back to you...

Cheers

J

Live long and prosper.
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

Ok. Downloaded version 2.7.1 .... unfortunately the exact same error... I need MORE coffee... lol

J

Live long and prosper.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

I had the same experience. I'm going to send Hirato an e-mail. I feel like I'm missing something so small!!
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

Many thanks.

J

Live long and prosper.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

Good news, I got some tips from Hirato to try. I'll be messing around with it hopefully today and get back to you.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

Okay so I got it to work. It might be as simple as installing libsdl1.2-dev, libsdl-mixer1.2-dev and libsdl-image1.2-dev and then trying the ./sandbox_unix script. Please let me know if that works.

If not try this in the sandbox directory:

Code: Select all

cd src
make clean all install
cd ..
./sandbox_unix
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

The three lib dev files were all ready installed and the latest versions. Performed the "make clean all install" and THAT seems to have done the trick. PAS is now running. Is there an explanation as to why the problem existed in the first place? Just curious.

Many thanks to ALL involved in assisting with the solution to my problem!!!! Much appreciated. Well Done!!

J

Live long and prosper.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

I don't know for sure but my guess is that there were files the Sandbox binary needed compiled in order for it to run. I'm assuming it was the SDL library files. If this is the case then hopefully I could just include them with future linux updates. I'll have to experiment. Thank you for your patience and feedback with this issue. Also I never did the "install" because I wanted to keep the steps as basic as possible to replicate the solution, but can you now type "sandbox" in the console and have it boot into Sandbox or do you have to use the launch script? Thanks so much!
-Mike