Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Problem Exporting File

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
William
Name: William Folker

Problem Exporting File

Post by William »

After hours of toying with this thing and finally looking it up on Google, I have combined the objects with my pistol on Blender. However, now when I try to export them, after going through the "triangulating" process dealy, it tells me "Model has a face without a texture map". I'm terrible with Blender and the fact that I got this done is amazing ... so if some one could help me ... tha'd be great.

http://opengameart.org/content/sig-p220

If one of you want to open this and try to make it into a folder or somthing fully made, that would be EPIC!!! but telling me how would be just as amazing.

Should you choose to make a folder with it being a mapmodel all made and ready my email is william.folker@hotmail.com
Last edited by William on December 17th, 2009, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes yes, I know, I am a pretty big time noob, thank you VERY much for your patience :D
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Problem Exporting File

Post by Mike »

Have you checked out the tutorial on the wiki yet? If you still have trouble I'll point your post to some modelers. Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
William

Post by William »

I did have a look at that for a bit. I just have a lot of trouble with all the functions of Blender but at this point it's the only program I know anything about exporting things :(
Yes yes, I know, I am a pretty big time noob, thank you VERY much for your patience :D
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

There shouldn't be many Blender functions involved. http://sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/index. ... to_Sandbox

Daniel_San said you don't even have to do the export to triangles part though I haven't tested it myself. Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
William

Post by William »

I have the folder in .blender, but now my problem is that it won't load any of it. It keeps telling me that there is a problem and that I need to check the console.
daniel_san
Name: Dan
IRC Username: daniel_san

Post by daniel_san »

Hey William,

You need to have python installed for the export scripts to work, as they are all written in python. Check the blender console window when opening blender and it should say compiled with python version ****. You need to have whatever version of python it says in that console window.

http://python.org/download/

I'm guessing you're using the latest stable version of blender (2.49a/b) which requires python 2.6.2. Download the exe and install.
Triangulating your mesh is not a necessary step like it says in the wiki, as the model formats ,md3 and md5 are being triangulated when exporting.
Hope this was of some help. If you have any other questions you should hop in our IRC channel and id be glad to help you out.

-daniel_san
William

Post by William »

I already have Python installed, I tried putting that folder in with all that stuff that was reading Python's files, but it still won't do it.
daniel_san

Post by daniel_san »

You need to put the files, not the folder itself in the hidden scripts folder. Then md3 should show up as a selection when you go to file > export.
If you used the blender installer the scripts folder may be located somewhere else. This link may be helpful.

http://www.katsbits.com/htm/google_faq. ... =&ucat=12&
William

Post by William »

ALRIGHT!!! GOOD NEWS!!!! I finally got the shape in there!!! HAZZAH!!! lol

But now I have another problem. I tried to put on the textures that came with the file but because there are three of them I'm not exactly sure how to do that. I've got one in there but it's not on there for some reason ... so yeah .... NEW PROBLEM lol, thank you very much for getting me through the first problem though :)
daniel_san

Post by daniel_san »

Nice! Good to hear my rambling posts were of help. lol

No but seriously good to hear. The texture problem should be a somewhat easy fix. Open up an md3.cfg from any other map model in the models folder.
Take note that all should have a line of code as follows:

md3skin name skin.jpg

just make note of whatever your objects names are in blender.
lets say you have 3 objects named box, sphere, and pyramid
you could select all 3 before exporting, and to texture them you would just use the md3skin command.

so your md3.cfg would look something like this.

md3skin box box.jpg
md3skin sphere sphere.jpg
md3skin pyramid pyramid.jpg

an easy way to change your objects name in blender is by selecting your object (in object mode) and press n on the keyboard.
that should bring up your objects properties, as well as a text box to change your objects name. Hope this helps and take care.

-daniel_san