Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

How To Make Video Games Article

The news hub -- read this stuff first!

Board Rules <-- Please read before posting.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

How To Make Video Games Article

Post by Mike »

Before I had thought about writing a book on video games and actually completed a lot of it but ended up getting caught up in other projects. I was thinking perhaps it'd be a better idea to write articles on it. I could have an article on how to make video games from concept to release and perhaps even on mapping tips, promoting your work, etc. My main question is, if I were to put the work into doing this, would anyone read it? Also what kind of articles are people interested in? Let's chat about it :)
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Re: How To Make Video Games Article

Post by arcones »

Yes, yes and yes!

It's a good idea, especially considering a lot of people prefer reading article sized packets of information (I still prefer books :P ). Honestly, some of the most important things are the basics (game design document, picking engines, free/not free, etc) are things that can be overlooked. That's what I would like to see :)

Could we assume that your writing with Sandbox in mind?
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

I'd try to make it without Sandbox in mind actually. As awesome as Sandbox is, it isn't the answer to all video games such as if you wanted to make a 2D game obviously it doesn't fit as well (though we have the sidescroller mode so depends what you want) but I think you get the idea. I've taught Game Design for so many years that I'd like to more generally relay what I've learned and of course learned through my own projects. In article form it gives me the ability to update easily and I could eventually compile them into a book as well for people that prefer that method though I'm sure most would choose the free route.
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
northstar
Name: steven

Post by northstar »

agreed... yes yes and yes... a good idea...

it reminds me of the guy, oh decades back, that wrote the bible in a newspaper type form... its an interesting idea... i personally like things in short bytes, with a good search engine, to read only what i need to know at the moment, so i can jump right back into the game (so to speak)...
stealthpanda
Name: Stealthpanda

Post by stealthpanda »

Its a great idea mike, I personally would like to see an article about the basics of writing with scripting, such as cubescript:D
Current projects: an unamed rpg
jkordick
Name: Julie

Post by jkordick »

yes, I am tech teacher who just tried Sandbox with my students this year. It was my first attempt at video game design. I would love to see articles, (books can get outdated quickly). I am always looking for quick, reliable information when trying to figure out how to do something.
grumplstink

Post by grumplstink »

:D Yes fantastic idea Mike, this would help, regardless of which games platform people use. Most of ones time is spent just working out the basics and delving into good game design practice.
The "nitty gritty" would then be broken down to "games platform specifics". Can't wait for this Mike mate "bring it on"... :D
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

@jkordick did you see the video tutorials in the help section? The c3 ones? They should help quite a bit. Also my tutorial covers a lot of the basics.

I'm a little surprised that with the over 1k people on fb and over 1k people in the mailing list that this got few responses. It is against my better judgement a bit to go with the articles since I won't be making the money I'd be if I put it in book form but I've always disliked making people pay money for something, for some reason I feel guilty, but I also like helping people so I think I'll post the articles anyway. But what I'm referring to are non Sandbox centric and focused on game design in general. I think we already have enough info on the basics of SB but if there are areas not well covered enough with that let me know. We could also use help in that area because the time we spend on documentation is the time we aren't spending developing and it is basically Hirato and I doing this in our free time.
Josh_McH
Name: Josh

Post by Josh_McH »

Another author wanting to write, and write and write and write. Does it ever stop?

Ok, finally an individual that wants to put forth tutorials, that is asking how to do them.

Don't write, stop your sentences. Your sentences are not needed.

I'm an engineer. I publish many articles on how to make this or that work. I am taught not to use sentences. DO not waste time, and get the machine running NOW.

99% of folks will scoff at this idea, until presented with how wonderful a concept it is. When learning this concept as an intern, I thought I would go crazy, trying to get my articles published. But soon I got the drift of it, and now I love it.

Contact me when you want to understand this only way to teach tutorials. Until you learn it, you are just wasting your time and mine with your tutorials. War and Peace has already been published, yet author after author write tutorials, because all they know is the sentence. PURE TRASH.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

I'm a bit unsure of what you mean. Is the machine Sandbox because it is already running. Also I'm not writing tutorials I'm talking writing articles about the game design process. I am interested in knowing more about what you mean.