Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Hi

Introduce yourself to the rest of the community here.
smallbear
Name: ash

Hi

Post by smallbear »

I've been meaning to teach myself game programming for a while now, in the past I have played with various versions of Alice and got the basics down, but I never went any further.

I found Sandbox after trawling through Wikipedia and similar using that as a search term - trying to find games that allow free choice and proper interactivity.

I see great potential in this program, but at this point the bugs are keeping me from getting ahead. Hopefully this won't remain the case, because it is nice to have something accessible and in a sense encouraging for the beginner. I can't see myself learning C or anything, but I can see myself getting into storylines and perhaps designing some interesting games one day, who knows.

By the way, if someone could tell me how to add a custom map, that would be helpful. I downloaded dark tunnels, but I can't find a maps folder and the loader in-game just asks for a name, doesn't have a file browser.

And just in case it's useful, to anyone reading this who's interested in modelling, give Sculptris a look, if you haven't heard of it already.

http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Re: Hi

Post by arcones »

Hey there!

Welcome to the Sandbox forum! Since I'm the author of Dark Tunnels, I suppose I should answer you question ;D

Open up your root Sandbox folder and double click the "my_stuff" folder. Go into packages, base, (and FPS if you're using 2.6-) and place the map files there. Then go back to the main SB folder and double click on "Click_Me_to_Start" and go to load map, my maps. You should see it there ;D Thanks for downloading!!! Keep checking the topic for updates, as I'm working to develop it into a full game :)

I'll have to take a look at Sculptris a look again, I've needed to find a good 3D model creator.
Arcones
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
smallbear

Post by smallbear »

Thanks, I wouldn't have figured that out on my own. The only problem now is that instead of seeing your textures I get the text: 'No Texture' everywhere. I double checked and both files are in the same directory - there are just the two files right, the ogz and the cfg file?

Re: Sculptris, it's great, but it will crash sooner or later, luckily it saves what you were last working on by default. Here's a place with loads of free 3D stuff:

http://freeartsoftware.com/survey3d2d-d ... hp?srt=101

( I had no idea Maya was now free for personal use, and there's loads of others, too).
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

It's likely Arc used some of his custom textures, which you would need to download and add to packages/arcones to use.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

Actually I didn't.... It'll depend on which version smallbear is using, and which version I made DT in. Think about it, I made it in 2.5, and if sb is using 2.6.1 the textures would be off because they've been removed.

Smallbear, are you using 2.6(.1) by any chance?
smallbear

Post by smallbear »

I'm using 2.3
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

That in and of itself may be your problem.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

to expand on arc's post: sandbox 2.3 and 2.6.1 are very different. One way of that is in the textures included: 2.6.1 removed a lot of textures from 2.5 while adding new ones. this means some textures have been replaced with others.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!