Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

northstar

Introduce yourself to the rest of the community here.
northstar
Name: steven

northstar

Post by northstar »

hello... i'm new to all this, starting from scratch... but i have a fast learning curve... 58 or so, lost count years ago... part of the woodstock generation... i'm re-downloading right now because my program won't save (shrug) i'm patient...

i've spent years playing games that never seem to be just right... sooooo... the next logical step would be to create my own, i know what i like... liniar but not too liniar... easy but not too easy... leasurly but with purpose... save where you want... good guys, bad guys, princesses, dragons... saving the universe... an end movie that really shows my accmplishment... i want it to take me someplace, a world of adventure to immerse into... etc etc...

just spent 40min taking google out of my registry so i figure i have the patients... see you round the amusement park (smile)... stev
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: northstar

Post by Mike »

How do you know it isn't saving? Are you getting an error message? Also what version are you using? Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
northstar

Post by northstar »

yes mike... and when i reopen it starts from 'looks like this is your first time' again... 'could not write map to packages\base\fps\test.ogz' is the message, and yes i tried all three ways to save... i'm in vista using 2.7.1...

as long as you're here (smile) how come it keeps kicking me out of 'login' to forum too... trying to post takes about 15min to stay logged in to post... it keeps saying 'team... delete all forum cookies'... anyway... if i can get past the save problem, i can move along... seems pretty easy... i looked at UDK and its pretty neat too, but sooooo resourse heavy, and not too hard either, the tools might be useful...

i'm on pst in usa and i live on solar power exclusivly, so i only get on during the am... so if i dont post back in a timely manner you'll know it was probably cloudy in nevada (smile)...

thanks for responding mike... seems pretty quiet around here...
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

I'd like to say that it sounds like you have a corrupted configuration file (find it inside the my_stuff folder). With 2.6, a problem with those files made the "start from the intro" thing happen every so often with everybody. My best guess might be to redownload/reinstall. Theoretically, that could fix the file (or put it in if needed).

As for the forums, yes, it's been extremely quiet recently. Likely school is one factor (I believe this is a lot of high school and college kids, plus some adults), along with everyone else probably doing their own thing (e.g. game-making). Honestly, I haven't seen any of the regulars for a good while now. Arcones, Leo, Rune... it's just scary if you ask me.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
jSoftApps
Name: J.R.
IRC Username: jSoftApps

Post by jSoftApps »

@chocolatepie33 It's basically you, me and Hirato that are active regulars on the forums now. I do know that Leo and Rune are around because they always end up messaging me on steam and I do see arcones on steam occasionally.
jSoft Apps Software Innovations - App, Games and More!
Visit our Website!

jSoft Apps is now on indie db!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

chocolatepie33 wrote: As for the forums, yes, it's been extremely quiet recently. Likely school is one factor (I believe this is a lot of high school and college kids, plus some adults), along with everyone else probably doing their own thing (e.g. game-making). Honestly, I haven't seen any of the regulars for a good while now. Arcones, Leo, Rune... it's just scary if you ask me.
Yup true. Although for a good couple of weeks, it was really quite (as in, no one posted). So I just didn't visit that often. And when I do, I usually don't log in :P
jSoftApps wrote:I do see arcones on steam occasionally.
Not quite as active as I used to be :) Focusing more on school this semester.

And welcome to the forum northstar! I hope you enjoy your stay!
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
northstar

Post by northstar »

yup... indeed... it appears that it is trying to save to 'packages', yet 'my stuff' is empty except for a 'placeholder.txt'... yet... load from 'my stuff' lists all the 'packages' maps... hmm... well so it goes, i can still practice, but but but!... (smile)

thanx guys...
northstar

Post by northstar »

hey guys... well save is working (thx) and i have been busy gathering and learning tools... finially have a little sunshine today... been searching the tutorials, seems a little dated sometimes, but we trudge on... should be pretty easy for an end-user... but i do realize i'm standing on the shoulders of giants (smile)...

i only wonder if i'll have to transfer it to cube 2 when it comes time to get the fights etc done... well, i just found out about blend maps, so i'll figure it out, and i havent even opened movies... just gathering textures and models and such so i can get rid of the textures i cant use and build my world in just my stuff... seems only arrd has no problem with sharing... then get my own cfg so i'm not starting on line 4125... i like organized (smile)...

thanx for the help guys, i'll get back to you when i have something to show...
northstar

Post by northstar »

ok... i've cleaned off my desktop from all the downloaded files and folders from my support programs... dont know how many times i remember saying 'awwwww... i broke it' (chuckle)... and i'm ready to delete all my testing folders and move the data file dummy to my main folder... hey, thanx for the blend video, great timing... and much much luck in your endevours, i'm sure its muchly appreciated (smile)...
northstar

Post by northstar »

having much fun... tutorial done and a few crude blender objects, textures etc... my hope is to get it in all my textures and objects, but... still having trouble with blender and md3... characters and trees are a tuffy that i just may have to concede to... but i kinda dont accept defeat gracefully (smile)... just about to script my rocks to the rockbag,,, well... one brushstroke at a time... having much fun guys, congrats on a great game!!
stev...