Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

An introduction

Introduce yourself to the rest of the community here.
chin88
Name: Chin

An introduction

Post by chin88 »

Hello everyone. Just want to say I'm very excited to have found a game making program like this that is so easy to use for someone who cant code. I am taking on a somewhat ambitious project to make a port of the classic DOS rpg Ultima VI as a fan project. I had previously modeled the entire map in 3DSMax but having read through some threads realized that it's a good idea to recreate the map in Sandbox instead of importing chunks of map models and assembling the map from those because of collision issues. playing around with Sandbox a little bit, I think it wont be too much trouble to do so and am now begining.

I look forward to learning from and sharing with you all as I go on this forum.

Chin88
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Re: An introduction

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Hi, I'm CP. I've got quite a few suggestions and notes for you:

1. Depending on what you want to get done in Sandbox, you'll have to learn to code. Thankfully, Cubescript is relatively simple.
2. I understand that what you're doing is a "fan project", I'll just remind you to be careful with what you do with the finished stuff you have. Copyright issues. Think about it.
3. If you need help, there's here (the forums) and the wiki. And the IRC channel.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
chin88
Name: Chin

Re: An introduction

Post by chin88 »

Hi CP,

If Cubescript is anything like what's in the packages.ini file then it seems simple enough, somewhat self explanitory. Not so intimidating like the c++ I was *trying* to learn in school.

I understand that the fan project thing treads close to sensitive fuzzy copyright lines. I suppose there is people in this forum who might inform me on how to tread carefully on this topic. I have no intent on selling any of the work or directly copying any of the textures from the game. My intent is to use this to learn how to use Sandbox and if it ever gets to be close to impressive all I would like to do is email it to Electronic Arts till they're blue in the face and give Richard Garriot the go ahead to reimagine Ultima's golden age. (I Never was a fan of UO)

I've already began to use the forums and the wiki, now would be a good time to learn to use irc (all these years I've never used it :D )