Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Ronnie's Tips on Creating a Game

Learn more on how to use Sandbox, or submit your own tutorials or resources.
RonnieNeeley
Name: Ronnie Neeley

Re: Ronnie's Tips on Creating a Game

Post by RonnieNeeley »

siimvuss wrote:what I want to say is:
@Ronnie
What you wrote so far is mostly good... Except for the part that you will have to plan 100% of stuff before you start making anything... You should plan most of the stuff, but best ideas always come while development IOW when you are making something. That´s why I would recommend to plan most, but not into all fine details and If sb comes up with a great idea while in development consider it.
Also, What I would add to Ronnie´s list of tips is: I don´t recommend deciding things yourself, instead you should read what criticism people give you and if it is reasonable, then do sth to make it better, also if you don´t listen to what people say and think of everything yourself: "I think it is a good idea, then it is a good idea" is not they way you should go.
Well, chances are, people are going to do less than I recommend, so if I say "A majority", they will do less than that. If I say "Plan 100%", they might do... 80% or so. Which is a decent amount of planning.

But when I speak of planning, I don't necessarily mean every specific map detail and such, I mostly mean in the ways of game mechanics and the point of the game. If you don't have a good over-all idea and understanding of your game, things start to get shakey.

I will re do some of this now, because I agree with what you said, I just wanted to get the rough draft down.
@other people
Why is it that all of the topics become some pointless chat (SPAM!!)? Ronnie makes a good tips page and wants to hear some constructive criticism, but you start to talk about pointless stuff in the topic, and if sb does give a good answer no-one will find it, because it is hidden in spam.
THANK YOU.

I am starting to resent this forum because of all the idle chit-chat going on. I've seen important topics get pushed off the "Recent Posts" section because of pointless "Forum Games". Now, forum games are fine, but when there are more people participating in forum games than anything remotely Sandbox related, that is where I see a problem.

And yes, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. After all, these tips are for you guys, I already know this stuff, so I'm obviously not doing it for me. I want to help Sandbox move past the "Look at my game about getting across the lava!" to games people actually want to play.
RonnieNeeley
Name: Ronnie Neeley

Post by RonnieNeeley »

A quick update:

I'll update this if it is convenient for me, but seeing as there really aren't any serious titles being made in Sandbox (and the ones that are seem to be well off), I don't see working on this at the moment beneficial to anyone really.

I don't want to sound harsh, but that is the sad reality.

Don't take it as "I'm done with this", I really wish to help the community, but there is really no one to help at the moment.

(Plus, I have to dedicate most of my free time to Project TS and my personal life.)

Anyways, for now I will re-direct you to siimvuss's great topic on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1424
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

Actually, I've read through this and Siimvuss' tut/tips and I find it extremely helpful. I'm creating something right now, so it's perfect timing for me. Just wanted to let you know I appreciate this.
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Maybe you and siimvuss could combine both guides to make a super-guide...
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
InHumanUnit
Name: Ian, Haiku, I got alot ;)
Location: Toyko, Japan. Currently in Illonis, Round Lake in America for secret purposes

Post by InHumanUnit »

The God Guide of PAS Guides.
XEON BOX GAMES - XBG is a blast from the past of a pirate mast to a cars thats fast.
You dare challenge me to Halo:Reach? You must die!