Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

in need of tutorial!

Learn more on how to use Sandbox, or submit your own tutorials or resources.
kilantolshi
Name: John

in need of tutorial!

Post by kilantolshi »

One thing which I am still quite confused on is the aspect of 'attributes'. I know they are the last 4 0s you see (0 0 0 0) at the end of a mapmodel... but through my searches I've only found what a few of these actually are/do. If possible, could somebody list what each attribute slot controls, and what the various inputs there do for the mapmodels?

Also, I see a number of notes in some of these tutorial and help forums that say to look at the *.cfg file of certain maps for help. When I open up such files (in notepad) they come up blank... which is why the above request is being made :)
DrChef
Name: Luis

Re: in need of tutorial!

Post by DrChef »

the last four attributes are (in order):

-trigger type
this is the type of interaction you have with the model
this page has a list of all the types- (scroll down)->http://sauerbraten.org/docs/editref.html

-the level trigger tag
this ties a script written in the .cfg file to the model, if level_trigger_1=[...] is written in the cfg file, placing the number 1 here will make that code run on this model

-radius
the size of the sphere for interaction with a model, the larger the number, the farther away you can trigger a model

-color
applies a color onto the model. press F3 to easily edit the rgb values

are you sure? try opening the village.cfg file, that has some scripts worth perusin'
:D
kilantolshi
Name: John

Post by kilantolshi »

That was actually helpful! Thanks! Now I just have to figure out how to script it so hitting a lever ties to opening a gate...

and yes, I'm sure... all my *.cfg files that came with when I downloaded sandbox appear blank, though all their scripts appear to be operating on the corresponding maps...
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

I think the trigger command would work, it goes something like this (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Code: Select all

level_trigger_# = [trigger #(2) 1 ] // switch
level_trigger_# is the switch, trigger #2 is the "door" or gate you're trying to open. the 1 specifies a value of true, which could mean activated. For this to work, the switch needs a trigger type of 8, and the gate a type of 11.

again, this might be wrong, it's been a while since I've used this.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!