Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

From Wings3d to Sandbox, 4 Flash tutorials

Learn more on how to use Sandbox, or submit your own tutorials or resources.
Radder

From Wings3d to Sandbox, 4 Flash tutorials

Post by Radder »

Edit: 11-20-2010
Since making these tutorials. I found that Misfit does a better job of making sure your normals are correct when converting to a md3 file.
1. Load your obj file into Misfit. ( viewtopic.php?f=24&t=316)
2. create a new frame animation (it's under the animation menu -start animation mode).
3. give it 1 frame of animation ( you don't need to move the model)
4. save your obj as a md2 file. It will triangulate the model for you.
5. When converting your md2 file to a md3 file with the compiler (it's it the tutorial) there is now "no need to "rebuild the normals" as in loading a 3DS file as the tutorial states.
Also you do not need to triangulate the model from Wings3D or save it as a 3DS model file as Misfit will load a obj and triangulate it upon export. It will triangulate an obj model to use in the game too if you go that route...

Hi all.
This is my way of saying thanks to Sandbox's developers and all who take part in giving us so much fun and learning...

I completed all four tutorials in the Series "From Wings3d to Sandbox" The series goes from UV mapping in Wings3d to bringing the final model into Sandbox's game engine.
Now there all lots of other software that can be use to create models and animation for Sandbox but since Sandbox is free, I thought I would use free software to create content for Sandbox.

I will also make a tutorial on creating normal maps for those who want to add greater realism to their models.

Remember though if you ever use free software for commerical and even some non commerical use always be sure to read the license of said software.

First tutorial covers Uv mapping,exporting to a 3ds file and then coverting the 3ds to a md3 file format for loading in the game engine.

Edit: I made a statement in the tutorial about loading the quad polygon file instead of the 3ds file but I checked I did load the 3ds file. The texture map was made when it was a
quad polygon model in Wings3d thus the quad lines in the model in Tattoo . Disregard that one that statment. I will upload a corrected version tommorrow

Second tutorial covers 3D texture painting in Tattoo 3d. ( I have put a link to Tattoo 3d in the forum post "Good free programs to use with Sandbox" under Tutorial/Resources

Third tutorial covers writing the md3.cfg file.

Fourth tutorial covers loading the finished md3 model into the game engine.

I'm not a professional modeler or texture artist but do have fun at it. The flash tutorials might be a little rough around the edges but having good infomation even wrapped in
a plain brown bag is better than no information. I have done my best to be accurate but if you see something that is not right, please inform me.

The tutorials are made for the beginner but might have some information that would be helpfull to others.
Unzip the files first and then to play the flash video just double-click the browser icon (htm).

I have included the pottery files and content in the last zip file. All pottery files and content are free to use.

The links are to a free hosting company so you will get a few ads but not bad.
Links below:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ywtmlynz4zj/Wings3d.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/file/m3m3zojmgjy/Tattoo.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/file/nzwglyvtm ... eating.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/file/10jq2td2mt0/Modelload.zip
Last edited by Radder on November 20th, 2010, 6:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
GR1M
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Luke
IRC Username: Gr1m

Re: From Wings3d to Sandbox, Flash tutorials

Post by GR1M »

Thanks for sharing this it was very helpful and informative!
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo
Radder

Re: From Wings3d to Sandbox, Flash tutorials

Post by Radder »

I have compeleted the last two tutorials in the series. The top post has been updated and now contains the two new tutorial links.
A tutorial on making normal maps is needed for all who wish to give a greater sense of realism to their models. I hope to complete that one soon.
Obsidian
Former Staff
IRC Username: Katana

Re: From Wings3d to Sandbox, 4 Flash tutorials

Post by Obsidian »

Geez, you are trying to take over this forum aren't you? :P

Topic stickied, as this is a valuable resource for other users.
うるさいうるさいうるさい!

github: https://github.com/damianb/
GR1M
Support Team
Support Team

Post by GR1M »

Yeah Obsidian is jealous :lol: ... jokeing
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

Thanks so much for posting these! I haven't had a chance to look at them yet but maybe they'd be good for the wiki? Anyone can create a username and add to it. Take care!
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
GR1M
Support Team
Support Team

Post by GR1M »

You going to make a tut about how to make normal maps?
Radder

Post by Radder »

Give me a day or two for making the normal map tutorial. I have been busy...
carter472
Name: Adam

Post by carter472 »

sorry i have a question cause i kinda tried to do the converting thing in tutorial 1 however............ the compiler said error about the file not being a md3 file.i just downloaded the program so........... was it my problem that went wrong somewhere?
Jekcheck
Name: Jake
IRC Username: Jekcheck

Post by Jekcheck »

thanks this really helped alot :D