Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Exporting maps

Learn more on how to use Sandbox, or submit your own tutorials or resources.
sword_guy8
Name: Arian

Exporting maps

Post by sword_guy8 »

Hi all. I'm very new to this. My goal is to make a very simple game in the style of MegaMan Legends, but a lot bigger. I want to model a real-life town using Sandbox to create the topography (and maybe Blender for buildings and objects). I like the simplicity in the controls of the Legends games. So, my question is this: Can I change the way the character moves, and change the interface to be designed for a controller (like the PS or N64 controller)? I want to make it so moving the view up and down is done by pressing and holding a button or two, and the character stops moving to look around. Moving the view left and right can be done actively, but the view should be level. Also, I want to make it 3rd person all the time. Are all of those things programmable in Sandbox, or would I be better off taking a map and migrating it to another program? For now, I just want to know what's possible, not how to do it. While I'm at it, can the files for things like Google Earth topography (or World Wind, etc.) be imported into Sandbox?
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Re: Exporting maps

Post by kddekadenz »

1) I think it's possible to use a controller, but you may have to edit the source. Hirato possibly knows more.
2) You need to insert into data/defaults.cfg:

Code: Select all

if (= $thirdperson 0) [thirdperson 1]
3) You can export your worlds with /writeobj
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Re: Exporting maps

Post by chocolatepie33 »

1. yes, I believe we had a working joystick patch from a while ago. Look into it.
2. Like kdd said, edit the configuration, you could possibly remove the first/third person toggle and set it up so that there's only third person.
3. Sandbox can export via /writeobj (like said), but cannot do imports. Closest to properly importing is the use of mapmodels, which cannot be modified by Sandbox.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!