Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Motion Sickness watching tutorials.

Learn more on how to use Sandbox, or submit your own tutorials or resources.
Ghastly

Motion Sickness watching tutorials.

Post by Ghastly »

G'day. I got into 3d modelling almost 2 years ago and I've lately been thinking it might be fun to make a game. The only problem is, the last time I did any game programming was on the Atari 2600 in 6507 machine language and I know nothing at all about modern game creation.

Searching on the internet for easy ways to make simple games I stumbled upon Sandbox. It seems like it would be an ideal way for me to play around with the models I make. I've been trying to watch the tutorials but I seem to have run into a slight problem. I have a lot of problems with first person perspective games. Playing them can be hard enough, but watching another person play them makes me experience motion sickness. I've tried to watch a tutorial but since all the editing appears to be done in first person mode I find I get very sick to my stomach watching them, especially since the tutorial makers seem to like to pan all around what they're creating to show it from different angles. I don't know if anyone else out there experiences this problem. I'd take a Gravol but then I'd just fall asleep. :lol:

Are there any tutorial series that don't have a lot of extraneous camera movement?
Wind Astella
Name: Nik Mirza
IRC Username: windastella

Re: Motion Sickness watching tutorials.

Post by Wind Astella »

Idk what to say since the ideal editing view is in first person mode. You can switch to thirdperson mode by typing "thirdperson 1" in the console. (enter the console by pressing the "~" key". I'm too can feel what you meant when I'm making maps. Brothers LOL
Ghastly

Post by Ghastly »

It's not too bad when I'm in control of the camera because then there's a connection between my actions and what my eye sees so my brain is able to interpret it better without inducing vertigo. But when someone else is controlling the camera, like in the tutorials to my brain it is as if I'm in some sort of tumbling free fall and I get very ill. I have to "watch" the tutorials by not looking at the screen so they end up becoming audio books which isn't exactly the best.

I figure a text tutorial would probably be best. I can find video tutorials easily enough on YouTube but I haven't been having much luck finding a text based tutorial repository. Is there such a repository? Does anyone sell a hardcopy or PDF book that details the functions of Sandbox and how to use them? I'm asking these questions here rather than the Help forums because my questions are really more about tutorials than about how-to functionality so I figure this would be the best place.

A book like on of those Sam's 24 Hour books would be perfect for the vertigo challenged artist such as myself.
Wind Astella
Name: Nik Mirza
IRC Username: windastella

Post by Wind Astella »

The best written place to learn about PAS is this http://sauerbraten.org/README.html & http://cube.wikispaces.com/ . PAS is a fork of Cube 2 Engine. So everything you'll learn there are applicable to PAS. That was the best written tutorial/reference i can point you if wanted to start mapping with PAS or any Cube 2 forked engine. I started by learning the history and root of PAS. Good Lock Bro.
Defunctul
Name: Nick

Post by Defunctul »

On a serious note Ghastly, you should see a doctor and check out if there is a problem with your inner ear. I had something similar and it was very..scary :(