Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

DMSP water wars

Chat and ask questions about Water Gun Wars here!
LordGray
Name: Graham

DMSP water wars

Post by LordGray »

Hi All. I am having some strange issues with running DMSP. On old PC loads fine. Laptop with windows 10 starts to load then hangs at loading map. Task manager shows .exe not responding. Any ideas very much appreciated.
Just like to add for crawler value. A class of unresponsive kids have become totally driven and keen with using this software.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: DMSP water wars

Post by Mike »

I don't have much experience using Windows 10 but I don't remember hearing of any problems or having any problems with my laptop that has windows 10. I'll have set it up again to test sometime. What if you run it as admin? Maybe you could try running in compatibility mode Windows 7? That's what we use at school/work and is on one of my home computers so I know it works well.

Regarding your class, next week I should have a newer version of D.'s Sandbox renamed MAGE and it is a lot like minecraft but free and open source and currently with 30 pages of items to play with in the creative build mode. It's super easy to create your own mods too through the lua scripting. I really want to add lua to Sandbox someday too :)

Let me know how things work out. Also perhaps it'd be good make sure your video drivers are up to date, maybe the current drivers can't handle a rendering issue? Take care!
-Mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
LordGray
Name: Graham

Post by LordGray »

Hi Mike,

Thought I'd feedback now I've finished the course for water wars in school. You'll be pleased to hear it was very well received creating motivation in a despondent class. As with the issue mentioned (may help if you try) I have found that the issues seem to occur if I use a laptop with windows 10 to run server (even set as advised as windows 7 compatibility). When I use this laptop I am able to use software but I'm unable to save any map. If laptop used to run as server, laptop can connect (connect local host) but PC can't. PC runs on XP and software and saves fine. PC as server and I can connect using laptop.

With regard to MAGE I'll try have a look as Minecraft very popular with pupils.
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

I'd love to hear more about how your class went and even see some of their work if possible. What did they create? I'd love to hear both pros and cons of how the course went.

I'm a bit behind but because I want to make sure everything is set properly for the first release but MAGE should hopefully be released in the next two weeks since I have Christmas vacation. It will start very simple but it is already way beyond default Minetest.

Your Win 10 issues are strange. Have you only tested with that laptop and no other Windows 10 computers? I can't think of any reason you wouldn't be able to save a map, does it give any error? It is not saved your my_stuff folder? I haven't had a chance to test yet and I'm not sure when I'll be able to due to being maxed out with workload. With the connection issues could it be due to the Windows Firewall?

Thanks for all the feedback! I hope you and your students had a blast using Sandbox :)
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!