Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

My first game!

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
TheLupineOne
Name: Callum

My first game!

Post by TheLupineOne »

Hello. I am new to Sandbox, and am currently creating a game. It is a maze where you must collect all the Moneybag mapobjects scattered around the maze and return to the start area as fast as you can. My problem is I have no idea about Sandbox scripting! Does anyone have any scripting tutorials?
Clownfish
Name: Brian Busse
IRC Username: Clownfish

Re: My first game!

Post by Clownfish »

Hi TheLupineOne,

Welcome to the world of Sandbox! :D

Your game concept sounds fun.
My problem is I have no idea about Sandbox scripting! Does anyone have any scripting tutorials?
Officially we don't have a scripting tutorial. However you can do the following:
(Best help near top of list)
  1. (#1) Study Hirato's Village map script and use it as an example to model your 'Maze - Collect Money Bags game' (This is my highest recommendation). If you play the 'village' map you'll notice you need to go around and collect 'apples' to win. This is very similar to what you want to do. (If you are using the 2.3 release of Sandbox, then come here and study this file: '..\PlatinumArtsSandbox2.3\packages\base\village.cfg'. Open this file with a .txt editor like 'notepad' on Windows. Scroll down below '//aliases' in this file to see how Hirato's script works.
  2. Also come here to our main FAQ and see a simple example of how to make characters talk with text in your game: http://sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/index. ... AQ#Editing
  3. Come here for another cubescript reference: http://sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/index. ... Cubescript
  4. I also recommend studying this page closely: http://sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/index. ... ing_Basics
  5. Being aware of these 'Mapping Taboos' will save you a lot of trouble: http://sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/index. ... ing_Taboos
  6. Notice my forum post on 'Step-by-Step Tutorials with Pictures/video': viewtopic.php?f=8&t=101
  7. Post a reply/request in my topic on 'Step-by-Step Tutorials'. I'll see what I can do.
What operating system are you using? (Linux, Windows XP or Vista, Mac OSX)

Have a nice day! :mrgreen:

-Clownfish
TheLupineOne

Post by TheLupineOne »

I'm using Windows XP.

So far, I've looked at the Village map, but have yet to examine its script. Where do I find it?
Clownfish
Name: Brian Busse
IRC Username: Clownfish

Post by Clownfish »

Hi TheLupineOne,
So far, I've looked at the Village map, but have yet to examine its code. Where do I find it?
Follow these steps to see the code of the village map.
  1. Open up "My Computer"
  2. Go to this folder on your pc: C:\PlatinumArtsSandbox2.3\packages\base
  3. Look for this file: village.cfg
  4. If you don't see village.cfg and you only see village files without the .cfg, then you will need to make the extensions visible on your files so you can see the hidden .cfg. (Let me know if you need help with this step)
  5. If you can see village.cfg, then hold your 'Shift' key down, and 'right click' on the village.cfg file.
  6. Choose "Open With..."
  7. In the window titled "Open With" be sure to check the box titled "Always use selected program to open this kind of file"
  8. Choose wordpad from the list (notepad is also ok)
  9. Click OK button
  10. You will now see the contents of the village.cfg file.
  11. Scroll down to the line that says "//aliases". Everything below this line is the custom script that makes up Hirato's village script, and apple hunting game.
  12. Study how this works.
  13. Make your own new map.
  14. Look for it's .cfg file and edit it also.
  15. Try to translate Hirato's village script into the game you want in your new maps .cfg file.
If this is the first time you have done any game scripting or coding don't worry. Take your time studying this village game script.

Let me know how this is going so far.

Have a nice day! ;)
-Clownfish
TheLupineOne

Post by TheLupineOne »

I've found the script. However, for every time I've saved my map, there is one set of files. How can I stop this phenomenon happening?