Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Mini-Game Series for Sandbox

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Re: Mini-Game Series for Sandbox

Post by arcones »

Ah, good point. Should we go into a bit more depth character wise?

And how detailed do we want this to be map wise? Large and super detailed, small and super detailed, or both, but not so detailed?

3rd person, or 1st, or both?

These are just some things that I think about when considering Mini-Games.

Also, I checked out rosestorm, but couldn't find much in it to help me.
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
siimvuss
Name: S
IRC Username: S

Post by siimvuss »

I think that we can have First person or third person toggleable like in FPS mode...
About maps I'd like it to work with all kinds of maps... So sandbox users could create their own maps and more maps = more fun... Which of course makes AI programming harder, but I think we can handle it with waypoints of some sort etc.

So based on this I think we could make a separate launcher, base our game on FPS mode, just modify it to fit our needs, make some kind of main game, where you can play some maps alone, some coop, and where you can buy more maps and possibly upgrades, and also have a section where you have maps that you have made or have downloaded somewhere.

What do you think, does this sound good?
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Where are AndyLangel, Leo and Venima when we need them? (actually, I saw Ven on here a while ago, PMed him, he didn't reply). The plan so far sounds great. I could start working on some plots if you want.

If you're wondering about Ven:

Code: Select all

Hey, welcome back
Sent: July 14th, 2011, 5:53 pm 
To: Venima 

Wow, is it really you? Good to see you're back. Plan on staying long? Arc would be happy to see ya.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
siimvuss

Post by siimvuss »

Don't know about others, but Leo is almost always in IRC :D
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

Andy quit Sandbox a while back if I remember correctly. I talk with Leo most of the time on Steam (Cork too). I've occasionally chatted with Ven, so yeah, I would like to see him back here :)

@siim, sounds great! However, I'm slightly bothered by the idea of waypoints, as I don't believe the current AI in Sandbox use those for actual pathways. (?)

So would it be best to take what we can AI wise from RPG mode and try a port to FPS? I mean, programming from near ground up would be a pain. I think on all other accounts it sounds great.
siimvuss

Post by siimvuss »

Maybe we can get some AI from Sauerbraten... I believe their bots react to pickups in similar way they should in our case react to waypoints...
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

Okay, I'll take a look at Sauer as well. (I've been meaning to for a while)

Should we have custom mmodels, things like that? I'm willing to do textures (I've released 2 packs, and I have one un-released pack). They've come along well, so it wouldn't be a problem, plus, we'd have our own assets.

If everything else sounds good, could we start mapping?
siimvuss

Post by siimvuss »

About maps... I think it would be really cool, for coop maps not to be possible to complete on your own (not all must be like that), for example an area that can only be accessed when one player jumps on another, where he can find a trigger that opens a door or sth similar and then the other player can also pass...
Also I think that we could have maps with many different difficulty levels... Some easier, some harder, so everyone can find sth to play.

With that said We can start mapping...

I'm also gonna start working on the separate launcher and the new menu, which would group the maps somehow.
siimvuss

Post by siimvuss »

I have made the launcher, I will start working on menus tomorrow.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

siimvuss wrote:About maps... I think it would be really cool, for coop maps not to be possible to complete on your own (not all must be like that), for example an area that can only be accessed when one player jumps on another, where he can find a trigger that opens a door or sth similar and then the other player can also pass...
like in the mario and luigi RPG games (superstar saga, partners in time, bowser's inside story)?

I also have to point out that for that to work,we'd probably need some sort of specialized collisions so that the actions look realistic, not with a foot going through a shoulder.

Also, I could try to make some models or textures, just point me in the right direction of what might be needed.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!