Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Mini-Game Series for Sandbox

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
siimvuss
Name: S
IRC Username: S

Re: Mini-Game Series for Sandbox

Post by siimvuss »

What I just realized is:
We will have an awful lot of trouble if we want to make the mini-games gamemode as we are doing it currently. I think that a much better way would be to create a new launcher for it, like there is for rpg mode etc. That would make things much easyer, because we could delete things we don´t want in the menus and all that. We will have to redo some of the work, but I think that in long terms it will be good for us.
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

Yeah, I was just doing this for the moment until we got the batch file working... AndyLangel got one working for RPG mode (he switched FPS) but I never heard how. I guess I can just create a copy of everything and start messing around XD :D

EDIT: Is there a separate menu for each mode? B/c RPG doesn't have things FPS does...
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

UPDATE: I've updated the front page, and I've gotten some new ideas. Anyone interested?
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

chocolatepie33 wrote:Modifying the mode sounds nice... get the best of all three (whoops, 4, always forget moviecube) in the new mode.

FPS: entities
SSP: pickups and enemies
RPG: spells
MCube: "actors" (bots)

@Arc: #3 sounds good. But I have something to add: buyable levels? Get x-many coins to buy the next level if you're stuck, like on S. Spielberg's Wii game "Boom Blox". Saw that on a demo. I hate getting stuck on levels in games. After y-many tries (your pick), you get the purchasing option.
Well, unbeknownst to most of us, CP probably had the best idea for buying levels... I'd just make it a little different.

There would be a "central map zone" wherein all the teleporters bring you to a different map. But there's also a shop in the "CMZ" which will allow you to buy things. If you buy something, it would (possibly) automatically place you in that map or replace the CMZ with a new CMZ which includes the recent level purchased. There could also be a fee to play certain levels.

Code: Select all

You have 360 coins
You walk to a new level and attempt to play, but it requires you to pay 50 coins.
Once the coins have been payed, you lose those 50 coins and enter the level.
The only problem with that is there is no EASY way to make sure all the coins you picked up in the other levels would be brought back to the CMZ. So it would also make sense to have a "bank" (essentially the CMZ itself) where all the coins are located. However, that only works if the player picks up all the coins in each level and would therefore change each time. So would it be easier to have multiple CMZ's that are copies of each other, or CMZ's that aren't and continually have more coins? I vote for the second (even if it's just me that's voting :P )
siimvuss

Post by siimvuss »

Hey, Arcones have you done anything with this project or has it died? I think its a good idea and we could work on it again maybe... I kinda left the sandbox community, but I'm willing to come back now :D
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

YAY! You're back! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Good to see you again, although I hate to tell you that this project could be considered dead... but there are a lot more projects going on, I'd look for Kid Matt's new project, and Cork279's work (he's great at music. Trust me.)
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

I'm still willing to work on this, concept wise for the present. I'm in the throes of developing Dark Tunnels, so I can't spend too much time developing MG, BUT! Cork put a link for it on AEStudios' site, so I guess I should get back to it soon.

And welcome back!
siimvuss

Post by siimvuss »

So, lets go over what we are trying to do again.
Will we create a separate launcher for mini games?
The mini games will include:
Co-op game, where you have to work as a team and run to finish before the bot touches you.
Any other ones?
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

At the moment I don't think it's necessary to create a launcher. There will obviously be the over-arching SP game, and specifically co-op maps if you have the time to host a server.

But will the maps have a storyline, or should they just be individual maps, with no clear plotline?

I think it would be worth it to have a CMZ (read the long post up above ;D) that allows you to buy certain things, which will affect your character. If we need to, we can go into the RPG side of scripting/programming and borrow from that, or if all else fails, simply use RPG mode. I'll take a look at it today.
siimvuss

Post by siimvuss »

Well, I think we should make a launcher... then we can freely edit everything, without messing up the working parts, also if the mini games mode has sth like a shop then we could build the map buying etc into the menu, but if we just add it to FPS orsth, then it will probably annoy people who dont want to use minigames mode...