Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Exporting md3s from Blender

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
freeze10108
Name: Matt

Post by freeze10108 »

Hello,

I'm currently using Sandbox as, well, a "sandbox" of sorts to see if I want to make a game with it. As of right now, I'm having a little bit of difficulty in getting my md3s export correctly. I've followed this tutorial, but I run into problems on the first step after it says to "Make the name skin.jpg", which I have done, but it doesn't seem to make a file anywhere. I then though that maybe it would appear when I exported my model, but the "skin.jpg" still didn't show up. Is there something I forgot to do?

BTW, I'm running Windows XP with Blender 2.49a. :)

EDIT: I'm also willing to switch to my Ubuntu Jaunty partition if it makes instruction giving easier for someone. ;)
freeze10108

Post by freeze10108 »

I don't know the policy for double posting, so if it's against the rules, sorry for the double post. Maybe someone could just tell me how to make a "skin.jpg" like the ones that are included with all the objects?
offtools
Name: offtools
IRC Username: offtools

Re: Exporting md3s from Blender

Post by offtools »

hi,

just for short, there's a more detailed tuorial here:

http://cube.wikispaces.com/Blender+Animated+Md3+Export

for working with texture in blender you need to open the "UV Image Editor", split the screen for that to have booth views, model and uv image.
in the image editor you can make a new file, open an exisiting. theres also a menu for saving your image if you modified it (painting).

hope this helps a bit.

offtools
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

skin.jpg is the image file which you use to place on the model to "color" it. Look at the models in our packages/models folder and look at the skins. In blender though you set what the name of the skin will be so that it matches with the 2d image you create. Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
freeze10108

Post by freeze10108 »

Thank you both for responding! But, I found out that the technique I was looking for was called "texture baking", which I used to pull the textures off of the model I had already textured with Blender. Cheers! :D