Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

3d plant studio

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
VieEnRas

3d plant studio

Post by VieEnRas »

I was curious about this. I came across this program a little while ago and I was wondering if it would be usable?

http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/PlantStudio/index.htm

It's a simple click-through plant creation and you can export as .dxf and .3df which is importable with blender. (I have successfully created a plant and exported it as a .dxf, imported it into blender, but I am still trying to learn export from blender for use in sandbox.)

I was hoping maybe someone else who is more advanced than myself might be able to give it a spin to see if it might be useful for sandbox since I'm still learning? You know, just in case I do something wrong and write it off as 'unusable' when it can be used. I mean, there's a bunch of pre-made plants for download too (http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/PlantStudio/exchange.htm.

Edit to add: I guess PlantStudio also exports as .obj which can be used straight from the plant program to sandbox? Again, it's not going for me at this moment, but I'll keep plugging at it to see if I can't get something to work.

Second edit to add:
I got it to work finally! Hurrah! The .obj export works just fine though I had to save without colors and create a skin myself - as well as the obj.cfg.

But here's a quick test plant:

So yes, I guess this is a workable program for still plants. Animated ones, I have yet to try.
Last edited by VieEnRas on December 8th, 2010, 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
VieEnRas

Re: 3d plant studio

Post by VieEnRas »

Could someone help me figure out how to color the skins so they're not just one color? Or could someone point me in the direction of learning how to make skins?
Last edited by VieEnRas on December 8th, 2010, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.