Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Linux Server and edit questions

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
xanathon

Linux Server and edit questions

Post by xanathon »

I am considering PAS as the engine for a project I have in mind and have some questions I would like to ask.

First: the server should run on a linux root server I own. Is it possible to install just the server parts of the software onto the rootserver, as I do not need the client software and resources there?

Is it possible to dispatch (new) textures or other assets to the clients automatically when they log in? Or can this only be done by providing downloadable files?

Would it be possible to restrict editing to parts of a map or the editing of a part of a map to single users. E.g. (not an overly realistic example btw): I have a map of 10x10 squares of some size. A user should be able only to edit "his" square.
On another note: would it be possible to give edit rights only to parts of a map, for example make "finished" parts of said map uneditable?

Thanks in advance for your time and effort to answer these questions, I guess more are likely to emerge. ;)
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Re: Linux Server and edit questions

Post by arcones »

Is it possible to dispatch (new) textures or other assets to the clients automatically when they log in? Or can this only be done by providing downloadable files?
No, you would have to provide downloadable material files yourself.
Would it be possible to restrict editing to parts of a map or the editing of a part of a map to single users. E.g. (not an overly realistic example btw): I have a map of 10x10 squares of some size. A user should be able only to edit "his" square.
On another note: would it be possible to give edit rights only to parts of a map, for example make "finished" parts of said map uneditable?
Unfortunately no. You could have the map already sectioned up (aka big walls that separate users and their works) but still some users may not be responsible and build outside the allotted zone. For the other, it would be possible, albeit extremely tricky, to copy and paste finished parts of maps, to new maps and save them. Then create a code for said map to create a SP run-around environment of that map.
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
xanathon

Re: Linux Server and edit questions

Post by xanathon »

Thanks for the heads up. That is unfortunate.

I found Syntensity, however, already managed to install a server on my linux server and would guess that that system is far more flexible. It has push install of assets. Not for the faint-hearted, though... ;)

I do not say this to minimize the effort of the sandbox-team, just to give others looking for a cube based engine an alternative. Sandbox is just fine for educational purposes and it's learning curve is far less steep than Syntensity's.

Keep up the good work!