Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Extended OBJ Support in PAS.

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
Slayer

Extended OBJ Support in PAS.

Post by Slayer »

Hi there, I'm sure some of you may know that I am a 3D modeler. I use Google SketchUp for mostly all of my modeling. However, as far as I know, there are only 4 model formats compatible with PAS, and those are:
MD2
MD3
MD5
OBJ
SketchUp doesn't support MD2,3,5 export, so I'm forced to use the OBJ format, and most of my models use multiple textures, which as far as I know, OBJ's can only be loaded with a single texture in PAS.
I'm not a big fan of using multiple software to get a model into the appropriate format, and I'm not familiar with any other modeling software. For MD3's, there is configuration to load multiple textures as well as scale the model. What I'm wondering is, is this possible for OBJ files with the current release of Sandbox? If not, could something like this maybe be implemented in a newer release of PAS if possible? If not, I guess I could combine all of the textures I use into one .jpg file and remap my whole model.
I think support for scaling and multiple textures of formats other than MD3 ( I don't know if MD2 and MD5 have this option) would make PAS an even greater program. I guess I can say it would have more compatibility (?)

I apologise if this is in the wrong section, but, if it is, could a moderator please move it to the correct section? Thanks.
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Re: Extended OBJ Support in PAS.

Post by arcones »

I guess it's more of an idea and a confirmation of what Sandbox can do, so I'll leave it.
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
cork279
Name: Corey
IRC Username: cork279

Post by cork279 »

Ooh, just got an idea if it works. You could download blender, and convert it, if it's possible to import .obj files, then export as MD3/2 :?:
My latest track: Odyssey

Soundcloud - Youtube - ModDB
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

lol, he's tried that already ;)
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
owenisred
Name: Owen

Post by owenisred »

Slayer - im going to do a couple of tutorials soon on this - I would strongly recommend using Misfit Model3D instead of Blender if your unfamiliar with other programs (Misfit is a lot easier to use)

Id try to help you with you work flow if you want?
I'm taking modelling requests again - any models you want created,skinned or animated (or all 3) leave a post here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2704&start=0

My tutorial site - still under construction, but lots of good stuff there:

http://pasandbox.webs.com/
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

cork279 wrote:Ooh, just got an idea if it works. You could download blender, and convert it, if it's possible to import .obj files, then export as MD3/2 :?:
Yeah I tried that yesterday xD. Failed.
owenisred wrote:Slayer - im going to do a couple of tutorials soon on this - I would strongly recommend using Misfit Model3D instead of Blender if your unfamiliar with other programs (Misfit is a lot easier to use)

Id try to help you with you work flow if you want?
That would be nice. I personally hate Blender. Not really user friendly and a bit too complicated for me.
However, I quite like using OBJ's', so if something like this were added to PAS, I'd surely use it. ;)
owenisred
Name: Owen

Post by owenisred »

Sure slayer np - I'm not a fan of blender too, however I'm forced to use it occasionally if I need specific things animated (like cloth) On the other hand new blender is really pretty, and its growing on me :)

Out of interest - what models are you making in sketchup that cant be made in sandbox? From my limited experience with sketchup it seems to be mainly useful for boxy shapes, something that sandbox excels in :)
I'm taking modelling requests again - any models you want created,skinned or animated (or all 3) leave a post here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2704&start=0

My tutorial site - still under construction, but lots of good stuff there:

http://pasandbox.webs.com/
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

I'll tell you now, blender 2.57 is gonna go places.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
jSoftApps
Name: J.R.
IRC Username: jSoftApps

Post by jSoftApps »

I do recommend using blender 2.57, it practically does what autodesk 3ds max and maya do and it can export into md5
jSoft Apps Software Innovations - App, Games and More!
Visit our Website!

jSoft Apps is now on indie db!