Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

2.8 Wishlist

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Re: 2.8 Wishlist

Post by chocolatepie33 »

*BUMP*

Code: Select all

wishlist recap:

new music (cork + Chaze)
FPS: sp mode on startup
preview box fix
SSP advancement
ice + ladder material (unlikely? perhaps)
file cleanup (excess maps, etc)
remade eyecandy/demo maps
new creatures and models
	-playermodels:
		*cool androids
		*"Danbo" or something similar
		*ragdoll, such as the LBP one, or from Ragdoll Blaster...?
		*a variety of people (pirate, viking, ninja, knight (arthurian), elf/dwarf, superhero, orc, 
		*half-human things?
		*aliens?
		*whatever thing you would have as a playable character in a game (likely humanoids)
	-creatures:
		*mythical creatures (but when does a horde of dragons follow you?) 
		*pets (a cute dog that follows you around, perhaps?)
		*bugs!? (and other pests)
		*fish...? (I know we already have an animated one, but even then...)
		*things that follow you
	-models:
		*any creatures that don't chase you (calimer/mike's frog, that kinda stuff)
		*daily things, vases, that kinda stuff...
		*lots of foodstuffs would be nice
		*things that would be animated, or things that can't be simply made in PAS (e.g. curved stuff) 
minimap mod 
simple addition of custom content (I mentioned skyboxes)
water wars, "fps with the s" (thank you justanother1)
footsteps and other sounds
.3ds model support (unlikely by what Hirato said, but he may've been referring to the .max format)
dynamic model changing 
new water physics? (unlikely)
DEFINITELY a reworked help menu

3.0.0 stuff:

likely the above
new commercial-OK content (including lots and lots of new model replacements)

Other:

have I mentioned the logo?
new guis, maybe? loading screen and such as well?

AND... I think that's it for now.
I'm adding to that now, I recently discovered a Cube-2 based engine called OctaForge... looks promising, but it didn't work when I downloaded it, likely needed compiling. Anyways, there are some things I saw in it that I wanted to know if they could be in sandbox eventually. here are the screenies:

(see the ent icons? me likey)

(lower-right corner)

(real curves? who knows)

(cool glow, is that a texture or paint?)

site: http://www.octaforge.org/

EDIT: perhaps more realistic options for texture paint brushes (stars? REALLY?), and perhaps more heightmap mode brushes, if possible.
Last edited by chocolatepie33 on October 31st, 2011, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
kid matthew
Developer
Developer
Name: Matthew
IRC Username: Kid_matthew

Post by kid matthew »

The developer q66 is usually in the #Sandbox IRC Chat room.
Octaforge is pretty nice.
Also you can make ladders and ice. using geometry tricks.

Cheers,
Matthew
Lost Lands Work In Progress <3 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2522 <3
jSoftApps
Name: J.R.
IRC Username: jSoftApps

Post by jSoftApps »

I guess we could *cough*borrow*cough* some code with the author's permission.
jSoft Apps Software Innovations - App, Games and More!
Visit our Website!

jSoft Apps is now on indie db!
Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Post by Leo_V117 »

Not a chance. The engine that OctaForge is derived from was known as "CubeCreate". It was a fuse of C++ and Lua. Lua replaced the cubescript within Cube 2. Theres no chance of "borrowing" code from OctaForge as compatability between Cube 2 and OF is kinda low...
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

Leo_V117 wrote:Not a chance. The engine that OctaForge is derived from was known as "CubeCreate". It was a fuse of C++ and Lua. Lua replaced the cubescript within Cube 2. Theres no chance of "borrowing" code from OctaForge as compatability between Cube 2 and OF is kinda low...
Wait, really? Why haven't I gotten my hands on that? I've wanted to learn Lua but never got out of my Sandbox comfort zone... I planned on getting OctaForge soon though. Looks beast, and MUCH better graphically.
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Post by Leo_V117 »

Adittedly, yes... It has nicer graphics, and a really sexy menu. But, it isnt that stable for windows... Its stable enough, but... Not re-sizable. Kinda gets annoying...
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

Hmm, is it a Linux project? Because otherwise that really surprises me. For the most part I think all those Cube 2 spawn-offs are built FOR Windows with the added Linux support (and possibly Mac).

Sorry, meant to say mainly Linux with Windows build.
jSoftApps

Post by jSoftApps »

I never knew that.
Anyway, I have some more stuff to add to the wishlist (from the quadropolis wishlist
A fix for the selection gridlines appearing over game menus. Really annoying when browsing textures.
Better fog execution that makes transitioning from arid to condensed smoothly and less block-like. In simpler words, the fog shouldn't rotate when the player turns, and the smoothness should be configurable.
The fog should hide the geometry backed on the skybox in the distance instead of just fade it with the fog color.
A fix for the water caustics appearing on geometry that isn't in contact with the water material (or anywhere near it) when the player is in the water.
A fix for the materials always being above generated grass, resulting in weird results.
A fix for the water randomly tearing apart when in contact with the skybox edges.
A fix for the skybox's lower part tearing apart when a viewer is off the map's limits.
[UNLIKELY] Ability to bend materials the same way geometry is bent. That will desire a lot of rewiring since editing materials will have to be done outside the geometry's world.
Ability to specify jumppad/teleport etc sounds in map configs for added variety.
Full 3D rotation support for models in real-time. What more can one say about it?
Game updater to avoid the need to redownload the whole game and reinstall each time a "version" is out. People will be able to play with the latest sets of updates and participate in beta packages if they want to.
More crosshairs of higher quality.
Now, here's my personal wishlist

Wrinkle Maps. Particularly useful for facial and clothing wrinkles, additional texture maps are blended in to provide dynamic surface detail in areas of models which compress and stretch.
Material System. Source defines sets of materials that specify what the object is made from and the texture used for that object. A material specifies how an object will fracture when broken, what it will sound like when struck or dragged across another surface, and what that object’s mass and buoyancy are. This system is much more flexible than other texture-only based systems.
Deformable Objects. Physics-based animation simulates flexible hair and clothing and blends ragdoll physics with predefined animations.
Ropes and Cables can be dynamically shaken or broken by level events.
Inverse Kinematics ensures that characters’ limbs correctly react to environments, such as moving around obstructions and adjusting for uneven terrain.
Better AI (enemies run into walls continuously trying to find you)
Destructible Environment. I don't have to say anymore
And THAT was 2 hours of my day :mrgreen:
Visit our Website!

arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

My gosh. You know how long that would take right? Nevertheless, I have to agree. If we see any of this by say, 4.0 I'd be amazed.

From the Quadropolis site, I too have been wanting an automatic updater.... For quite some time. And NOT an SVN. Those would be two different things.
jSoftApps

Post by jSoftApps »

THIS however is a must-have

Material System. Source defines sets of materials that specify what the object is made from and the texture used for that object. A material specifies how an object will fracture when broken, what it will sound like when struck or dragged across another surface, and what that object’s mass and buoyancy are. This system is much more flexible than other texture-only based systems.
Visit our Website!