Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

2.8 Wishlist

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Re: 2.8 Wishlist

Post by arcones »

I agree. I would also like to have a ladder material such as Source has as well. Ladders that are slanted are a pain simply because I don't always have room for them.

Why can't we use straight ladders I ask you?!

:P
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
Captain_Ahab
Name: Richard

Post by Captain_Ahab »

It'd be nice to have Bullet Physics in the engine, but that'd take a bit of work. Maybe some code could be re-used from the intensity engine which began such a thing. It would also make adding objects a little bit more involved ( I assume as you'd need to also enter various physical attributes instead of just a model ).

A ray shot out of the top of the character model to test if it hits geometry or the skybox to determine if the character is inside or outside. Such a function could return a bool for use in other functions or scripts ( dynamic adjustments to gamma or glare to simulate going from sunny outside to dark taverns, and outside again... determine in character gets wet or stays dry when its raining, etc. )

particles affected by wind ( only for things that are 'outside' ) just as they can be affected by gravity
ability to attach particles to model tags and that have the option of emitting particles at the angle taken from the model ( this should allow for firey torches carried by characters/npc's and allow for hoses and water sprinklers ).

The ability to know what materials objects are made from ( for hit effects w/particles, sounds, etc. ) by using a method such as quake4's hitmaps.
http://www.iddevnet.com/quake4/ArtRefer ... tingModels
this could be kept in the unused alpha layer of the glow/spec/env texture, maybe.

better particle effects ( definable?) for when objects enter water material

for AI to 'look' ahead of where it is going and avoid obstacles and cliffs and other dangers
a flag to set AI behavior for water creatures to stay in water for fish, etc. as opposed to staying out of water for most other animals.

ability to call specific animations from scripting so that animated actions can take the place of descriptions in dialogs. Some of the various animations from 'Sims' can be used as examples.

more movement options besides 'run'
perhaps walk move half as fast as 'run' and is half as noisy
crouching allows players to avoid LOS of guards and crouching could cut speed by half and noise by half for whatever movement the player was doing.
Jumping from a crouch might be noisier but allow for higher jumps.

a sticky material that allows players/npc's to stick to geometry while using a 'climb' animation.
this could allow wall climbing and possible rope climbing ( geometry ropes ) without using the 1:8 'skinny steps' trick.
The PS2 game Okami could be used as an example for how such a material might work.
( tied to a climb skill in the rpg maybe? or to a hitmap for material types... rock would be easier to climb than stainless steel sheet )
Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Post by Leo_V117 »

Better particle effects are fairly simple. All they need are a series of new textures. And, I can get them sorted anyday.
Crouching would be a good idea, as would "strafing".
Hirato says Bullet wont be in PAS until around 3.0.0
That sticky Material would be pretty good. Valve was adding it as the fourth gel in Portal 2. One could walk anywhere, its still in the SDK... Just not finished. But, this material would need some long hours of coding. I mean, think of the camera...
jSoftApps
Name: J.R.
IRC Username: jSoftApps

Post by jSoftApps »

Captain_Ahab wrote: better particle effects
Who votes we should use my particle effects that I have so far?
jSoft Apps Software Innovations - App, Games and More!
Visit our Website!

jSoft Apps is now on indie db!
Captain_Ahab
Name: Richard

Post by Captain_Ahab »

I'd think water splash effects would be a bit more involved than just a texture change.
the size of the splash would be related to the size of the object entering the water, and the height of the splash would be related to the force of the object entering the water. I'm assuming that the particles would be affected by gravity.
Naturally, this should be a general solution that can handle eventual bullet and explosions in case a non-child-friendly form ever rears its head. ( Platinum Arts Mudpit? )

The code can already move the camera around, so it might just be a matter of camera placement relative to the character with constraints to prevent it from entering geometry...or just let the player move/rotate the camera to look around and keep that orientation relative to the player until the player changes it.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

jSoftApps wrote:
Captain_Ahab wrote: better particle effects
Who votes we should use my particle effects that I have so far?
If Leo's making more as well, perhaps both of them. Kind of like Blender: use Cycles, Freestyle or the Internal renderer it has currently. Leo, jSoft or internal particles. Either way, it would be cool.
Captain_Ahab wrote:It'd be nice to have Bullet Physics in the engine, but that'd take a bit of work. Maybe some code could be re-used from the intensity engine which began such a thing. It would also make adding objects a little bit more involved ( I assume as you'd need to also enter various physical attributes instead of just a model ).

A ray shot out of the top of the character model to test if it hits geometry or the skybox to determine if the character is inside or outside. Such a function could return a bool for use in other functions or scripts ( dynamic adjustments to gamma or glare to simulate going from sunny outside to dark taverns, and outside again... determine in character gets wet or stays dry when its raining, etc. )

particles affected by wind ( only for things that are 'outside' ) just as they can be affected by gravity
ability to attach particles to model tags and that have the option of emitting particles at the angle taken from the model ( this should allow for firey torches carried by characters/npc's and allow for hoses and water sprinklers ).
While that would take a lot of work, just think of the limitless possibilities that could happen, and the infinite ways each feature can be used. For example, maybe we could have a walkway with cubes that sink as you jump on them, and that walkway is on water or in space.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
jSoftApps

Post by jSoftApps »

I have havok if we want to try to use that
Visit our Website!

chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

true, but like I mentioned before... it's gonna cost people. Bullet may be better because it's open source.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
jSoftApps

Post by jSoftApps »

It only costs 100 dollars if you sell your game for more that 10 dollars
Besides, havok includes:
Physics
Animation
Behavior
Destruction (my favorite)
cloth
AI
Script

All in a 2 GB package :mrgreen:
Visit our Website!

Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Post by Leo_V117 »

jSoftApps wrote:It only costs 100 dollars if you sell your game for more that 10 dollars
Besides, havok includes:
Physics
Animation
Behavior
Destruction (my favorite)
cloth
AI
Script

All in a 2 GB package :mrgreen:
But thats $100 that we don't have. And it might be a little harder for us. Although, I admit... It would be nice to have an engine with the Havok logo in.

However, Bullet has all that too. And its open-source. :D Besides, we don't need AI, we already have it.