Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Ideas For The SB Community - Social Site, Video Blog, More?

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
java.x.beast
Name: Addis
IRC Username: javaxbeast

Re: Ideas For The SB Community - Social Site, Video Blog, Mo

Post by java.x.beast »

chocolatepie33 wrote:
Mike wrote:So I'm trying to get ideas together on what I can do to help advance the Sandbox community to make it as awesome as possible :D

I mentioned doing a social site a while ago and I want to take more of a look into it especially with the advancements in social networking software. If anyone else wants to help I'd really appreciate feedback and thoughts on what software would be the best and what features would be good to have, etc. These are the main social networking software options I've been looking at:
http://blackboxsocialmedia.com/social-n ... lications/

I think a video blog would be cool but should it also have some kind of gallery format? Also maybe there is a way to integrate it with the front page? hmm.

Resources Page - Maybe do it right on the wiki and link it from the main page?

Any other ideas to help the community grow/communicate are welcome :D

Take care.
-mike
Just out of curiosity... isn't THIS our basic social site?

For a video log, I'd like to see more of the changes Hirato makes in the engine, a "feature preview" kind of thing, I guess.

Also, what do you mean by a "resources page"? If it's like a page full of other sites where you can get content to use in Sandbox, then count me in. I have a ton of sites that people could use. An entire Google Chrome bookmark folder full of them, to be exact.
java.x.beast wrote:I suggest live video streaming using UStream, I think it was called. I use it to watch Lil Wayne/YMCMB live videos. It's pretty cool, you just need a good webcam and desktop recording software. You could do some stuff on it like trying out some maps that were user created and submitted. I don't think there are enough videos of Sandbox-created maps out there in the world. If you saw the Quadropolis site, the homepage is stocked with pictures and downloads of user-created maps. To help ease this in, we could create a brand new homepage. All the news that's on the homepage should go into a "News" page, except for the latest info, which should be displayed at the top, right under the navigation bar. I'm sorry for going on and on, but I have some pretty good ideas to help grow the Sandbox Community. If you want more info, I'm on the IRC alot. You can ask me there. Hope this was valid help.
Beyond the UStream stuff, I agree a lot with java's ideas, including the "user-submitted" maps and such. I'd love to see that. I'm not so sure about the new homepage, because PAS doesn't really need one, but I do believe a repository (OTHER than the forum's upload stuff) would be nice, maybe just a page where all the downloadable content can be stored IN ONE SPOT (not all over a million different forum posts) and organized well. I mean, we would just have content pages for maps, textures, models, music and skyboxes, sorted maybe by date created, version made with, creator, along with a description... Just like Quadropolis, but perhaps easier for people to find what they want, and easier to get to and download.

Personally, I think that BuddyPress (from your link) looks nice, but it's likely because I like Wordpress a lot. Of course, that's just my opinion.
Going farther on CP's idea. In order to make it easier to find the kind of content you are looking for, we could have separate sections/pages for each type of content. Example:

Code: Select all

Models
- Weapons
----Guns
----Swords
----Bows
----Staves
- Furniture
----Couches/Sofas
----Tables
----Chairs
- Cars
----Lamborghini
----Maserati
----Ferrari
----Porsche
----Bugatti ( I <3 Bugatti Veyron! )
- Armor
----Shields
----Helmets
- Electronics
----TVs
----iPods
- Characters
----Medieval
----Egypt
----Roman
----Modern
----Machine/Robot

Maps
- Modern Style
- Egyptian Style
- Medieval Style
- Roman/Greek Style
Etc, etc.

If we do this, I think we would have the most organized and coolest/best-looking website for a 3D Game Engine EVER!!
Hope this helped!

-Java
Age of Darkness
Maps: Image
Music: Image
Models: Image
Scripts: Image
Other: Image
Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
Visit the company page on ModDB: Vulcanis Entertainment
java.x.beast wrote: I got them moves like JAGger!!!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

@java: that may be too specific.

@all: another pro to the repository thing is that we control what does or doesn't go and/or stay up. With sites such as sendspace, links eventually rot and become useless. If there's something someone wants (e.g. Tyche's texture pack), then they could request it, let it be put up, download it, then they have it.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
sonia

Post by sonia »

I personally think that incorporating social media is very important, because everybody is using these sites and it's important to be up to date and use the newest stuff for gaining new users or stay in contact with the users.
I also like the idea of a video blog, although it makes a lot of work (but it's fun to watch!)
KSAICDPAS01
Name: Omar

Post by KSAICDPAS01 »

Did you talk to MIKE about this idea?
Last edited by KSAICDPAS01 on November 8th, 2011, 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KSAICDPAS01

Post by KSAICDPAS01 »

I don't understand this.
Last edited by KSAICDPAS01 on November 8th, 2011, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KSAICDPAS01

Post by KSAICDPAS01 »

I like this idea!!! I know 1 thing we should add, that is a built in mapmodel studio. That means we create the mapmodels, than put them in the game!!! Thanks Mike!!! :?: :arrow: :idea: :arrow: :D :arrow: :?: :arrow:
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

I have a rough version up for testing. Keep in mind it is subject to change drastically. I think I might be able to make it so you could potentially post files on there though I was going to have a separate site for that, but I might not need to. Let me know what you think :) Take care.
-mike
http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/game-design-community/
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

@Mike: This looks great! Is it OK to sign up yet?

@KSAIC: Lay off the spamming, mapmodels are made in 3D modelling programs. e.g Blender.
Save the wiki!
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

Omar instead of having three posts in a row please edit your single post :) @ Chocolate: Yes you can :) Obviously a lot of graphics are placeholders and/or aren't even there, I want to get the functionality in place first and then I can focus on looks.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

@Mike: Alright, Cool, I guess I'll be a tester of some sorts. ;)

EDIT: Done.
Last edited by chocolatepie33 on November 8th, 2011, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Save the wiki!