Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

How to create an .exe build of project?

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
ICD-DIMENSION-1
Name: Omar

Re: How to create an .exe build of project?

Post by ICD-DIMENSION-1 »

What are you all talking about?!?! :roll:
northstar
Name: steven

Post by northstar »

my original purpose was to make a free downloadable game to c/net to upgrade the free games section... its time i think... so, in time, i'll need to know how to package it all up with just my stuff and the engine...
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Post by kddekadenz »

Emma wrote:Okay. I didn't type my question correctly...

What I meant was, is there a way to put everything (the textures, sounds, mapmodels, maps, etc.) into that EXE so that everything is in that single EXE and when you launch it, it will be like you're launching the Launcher or BAT? This is a test to see if I can put it onto another computer without the folders and stuff (hidden, anyways)
You would need to edit the source code drastically.
Just copy everything (and delete what you don't need).
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
java.x.beast
Name: Addis
IRC Username: javaxbeast

Post by java.x.beast »

Couldn't you package the PAS Launcher exe and modify it so it opens up your first map on start? Just an idea...you might still need the folders but I'm not sure. My guess is there isn't a way to do this yet, at least to the extent of my knowledge.

EDIT: http://code.google.com/p/convert-folder ... xecutable/
You could try this and use the batch file CP instructed you to make as the shell file to run when the exe is started. Might not work, but it's worth a shot. I'll have to try it some time in the future.
Age of Darkness
Maps: Image
Music: Image
Models: Image
Scripts: Image
Other: Image
Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
Visit the company page on ModDB: Vulcanis Entertainment
java.x.beast wrote: I got them moves like JAGger!!!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

@java: did you ever see how Master Chef Ogro was done? I'd take a look at that if you can. Sounds sort of what like you're talking about.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
Littlejoe-42
Name: Joey

Post by Littlejoe-42 »

According to the above information, it is possible to open the gametype's .bat file, alter it, and convert it to an .exe file that opens your game directly inside the PAS folder.

I want to make a freeware game inside PAS, using only what's in PAS, and make it downloadable. Is it possible to make an installer that installs both PAS, plus the game's .exe and game information into someone's computer? Not only would people have the opportunity to play my game, they may never have previously discovered PAS.

I can see an installer that puts PAS into the C:/programs file, with desktop icons for both PAS and my game. Every time a new game is downloaded, the installer checks if PAS is already installed. If it is, it simply installs the new game information and puts a new desktop icon for the new game's .exe.

Unfortunately, I don't even know if this is possible.
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Post by kddekadenz »

Why you want to use a exe, if a bat works fine?
You could use the bat to start the map directly.

I don't know to install both on Windows with a script, but you could easily create such a script for Linux.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
Littlejoe-42

Post by Littlejoe-42 »

I think the end result you're going for is a standalone. I think I can help.

Just as said above, I made a .bat file that opens directly to my map, "TheLand" (see script below), which is easily convertible to an .exe with freeware.

bin\sandbox_fps.exe -r %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 -h1920 -w1080 -lTheLand -z24 -b32 -a4 -v1 -t1 -s1 -f2 -qmy_stuff %

Open your map in PAS, and enter all your player criteria for the game (ie: third person perspective, first ogre, ect). Close the software.

Make an original of your game's .cfg file, leaving the one the game uses for modification (ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP!). Open the .cfg file for modification. Go through it, looking for key bind commands. I'm a noob, but I found that if I simply deleted the key entry of "E" from the .cfg (leaving ""), it's impossible to toggle to edit mode. I assume this would work as well for other keyboard commands. (The only problem I forsee with this is that the players cannot use PAS themselves, since altering the player perspective in regular PAS results in what appears in your game. So, being able to play PAS cannot be a possibility in your game, though you could suggest players download PAS for themselves.)

Last, in order to make it downloadable, simply .zip your PAS folder, including a simple ReadMe.txt telling the player which file starts the game. PAS doesn't install, it just unzips the folder into your CPU, so creating a similar .zip file for your game should do just as well.
Littlejoe-42

Post by Littlejoe-42 »

I just tested PAS, and it's still possible to go to edit mode from the "esc" menu.

However, I'm thinking about the structure of my game. While I want to disable "e" (editmode), I also want to disable "esc" (gui menu), and replace it later in the same .cfg with a bind command that simply ends the game.

Can anyone help?