Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Platinum Arts Sandbox 3D Gamemaker Spring Mapping Contest!!!

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!

Rate this Topic 1-5!!!

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
100%

Total votes: 3

ICD-DIMENSION-1
Name: Omar

Platinum Arts Sandbox 3D Gamemaker Spring Mapping Contest!!!

Post by ICD-DIMENSION-1 »

:D I was thinking of having a Platinum Arts Sandbox 3D Gamemaker Spring Mapping Contest!!! Your map can be on whatever you want, but please include some spring stuff in the map!!! So what do you think?!?! Show Mike this Topic Please!!! :D
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Re: Platinum Arts Sandbox 3D Gamemaker Spring Mapping Contes

Post by kddekadenz »

Yeah, a quick 48 hrs mapping contest :D
But please not the weekend from April 20th-23rd, because there will be Ludum Dare!

EDIT: What's about a 'mini game' contest? The goal would be to program/map a game in Pas within 48 hrs.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

*sighs*

look, if you really want an official contest, your best bet would be to PM Mike about it. Personally, I agree, a contest would be nice. Like I said in my other post, a contest and other things could really bring the community together. Look at the Blender community. While it's a lot bigger, it's tightly knit together. They do a lot for each other.

Also, why do you need the "please rate this topic form 1-5" poll? Pointless spam.

Another thing: Mike might be too busy to put a contest on. I can think of a ton of contest ideas (anyone could), but there's also the deal of getting prizes and selecting winners. Have you ever thought of it that way?
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

chocolatepie33 wrote:*sighs*
look, if you really want an official contest, your best bet would be to PM Mike about it.[..]
That's not the best idea, he said yesterday that he has way too much PM's. Is he active on IRC?
chocolatepie33 wrote: [...]Another thing: Mike might be too busy to put a contest on. I can think of a ton of contest ideas (anyone could), but there's also the deal of getting prizes and selecting winners. Have you ever thought of it that way?
No prizes.
The winner gets selected by the active forum members and/or the participants.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

kddekadenz wrote:That's not the best idea, he said yesterday that he has way too much PM's. Is he active on IRC?
When did he say that? (yes, I noted the "yesterday", I just haven't seen a post from him about it). And I'm pretty sure he's on the IRC every once in a while, at the very least.
kddekadenz wrote:No prizes.
The winner gets selected by the active forum members and/or the participants.
No prizes...? That's no fun. I guess we wouldn't have to go for some crazy, wildly expensive prize. I mean, for the first Sandbox contest (or one of the first ones), I think the prize was just a cool userbar for signatures. We could do something like that.

As for the forum members thing, yeah, I guess that would do. if you ever look on competition shows (e.g. Food Network's shows), then there are usually 3 judges who are experts in the fields relevant to the challenge. I also want to point out that having contests set up by any old member doesn't sound right, you get what I mean? It's like they aren't official. If Mike, Hirato or Tyche (or anyone else with considerable authority) came up and said "Contest Time!", then everyone would be paying attention. Should a basic member (one who's quite new, at that) try that, most people would just mark it off as someone trying to be someone they're not, along with calling it useless spam. Now, if we had some kind of official contest admin, or a team, now that'd be pretty interesting... ;) 8-)
Save the wiki!
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

chocolatepie33 wrote: When did he say that? (yes, I noted the "yesterday", I just haven't seen a post from him about it). And I'm pretty sure he's on the IRC every once in a while, at the very least.
Actually he said this via PM, but he needed about a week to reply..
chocolatepie33 wrote: No prizes...? That's no fun. I guess we wouldn't have to go for some crazy, wildly expensive prize. I mean, for the first Sandbox contest (or one of the first ones), I think the prize was just a cool userbar for signatures. We could do something like that.
It is fun without, too, but I agree a symbolic trophy would be a good idea.
chocolatepie33 wrote: As for the forum members thing, yeah, I guess that would do. if you ever look on competition shows (e.g. Food Network's shows), then there are usually 3 judges who are experts in the fields relevant to the challenge. I also want to point out that having contests set up by any old member doesn't sound right, you get what I mean? It's like they aren't official. If Mike, Hirato or Tyche (or anyone else with considerable authority) came up and said "Contest Time!", then everyone would be paying attention. Should a basic member (one who's quite new, at that) try that, most people would just mark it off as someone trying to be someone they're not, along with calling it useless spam. Now, if we had some kind of official contest admin, or a team, now that'd be pretty interesting... ;) 8-)
I agree.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

1. I get it now.
2. agreed (about agreeing)
3. ditto.
Save the wiki!
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

Best way to get my attention is e-mail me at platinumarts@gmail.com My PM box is about full and there are so many forum topics that is tough for me to see them all. A mapping contest would be nice. I'm curious about what blender does to make their community more tightly knit. I really want to get Water Wars in gear soon so perhaps it could be related to that to help push it forward. Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Mike wrote:My PM box is about full
Just out of curiosity, how? Do you not delete anything, and are you constantly PMing Hirato or something?
Mike wrote:I'm curious about what blender does to make their community more tightly knit.
There are actually a ton of different Blender-related sites, but most of the major ones are connected together. But they do a lot; upload models and such for others to use (Blendswap), share images and stories and stuff (forums), help each other out (again, forums), and they even have their own magazine (BlenderArt magazine). There's also BlenderNation, which shows off demoreels and other things made by the members, and also tells people about the many contests held by different websites.
I also have to point out that BlenderArtists alone has sheer number power. Just checking now, there are about 400 members online, and...
Most users ever online was 6,654, 23-Oct-11 at 11:59.
Blender Artists Community Statistics
Threads 239,438 Posts 2,074,344 Members 105,765
I also want to point out that not all contests need to be mapping contests (as we do already have a relatively decent selection of eyecandy maps). I was looking through the contest archive section, and I believe I saw a logo contest and a trailer contest... which is ironic, because I did a mod of the old cubic PAS logo (see my sig), and I've been thinking that Sandbox could use a good trailer. Should Sandbox need any new things (e.g. new logo, trailer, loadingscreen, etc), we could hold a contest, and the winner's creation is the new thing.

OH, AND BTW: what's the difference between the new "Sandbox Projects" subtopic and the "Show off your work" and "Custom Content Submission" areas?
Save the wiki!
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

People just send me tons of PMs even though I tell them to e-mail me. Custom Content Submission is submissions into Sandbox itself. Show off your work is for people post screenshots and such and WIP and Sandbox Projects is for big team projects underway though maybe I really don't need it, hmm. A trailer would be nice and I'll start thinking on contests. Thanks for the insight on blender stuff, that's interesting. Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!