Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Creating Very Large Maps/Editing Them Quickly

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
redemptionstudios
Name: Eric

Creating Very Large Maps/Editing Them Quickly

Post by redemptionstudios »

Hi all,

I'm doing some tests for a possible upcoming project and had a few questions about the Sandbox Engine.

Q: As far as I know, the largest map size you can create in the Engine is 20, is that correct, and if it is, what are the performance requirements to have a map that large (with quite a few trees and buildings)?

Q: How can I measure map size in real-world units (square miles) or in other words, what is the map scale?

Q: Is it possible to create use a grayscale image to generate a heightmap for a map? Is there any other known techniques for editing very large maps without taking 40 years to do it?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Redemption Studios - A Small Independent Christian Game Developer
http://www.redemptionstudios.wordpress.com
inforedemptionstudios@gmail.com
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Re: Creating Very Large Maps/Editing Them Quickly

Post by Hirato »

the maximum map size has been 16 for quite a few releases.
size 20, if it even finishes loading, is very, very slow and heavy, even on the best of hardware.

I don't quite remember what the 'official' scale is, but I think they use a size 3 cube as a "cubic meter"

Also, we currently have no means of importing a heightmap as a brush or anything of that manner.
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
it9999
Name: Iain

Post by it9999 »

cubesize 4 is one cubic metre.
to run a mapsize of 20 normally you need 32 GB ram, 4Ghz 8 core processor, 8 GB graphics, 64 or 128 bit arcutecture and sandbox will need to be modified to be supported in these conditions.
mapsize 20 is about 1,600 square miles (4,096km^2) or 64,000 cubic miles (262,144 km^3)
I'm working on a project More info found here
Content needed. must be commercial friendly. You will be credited if you contribute
Click here if you want to fund the project. it will speed the development. I can hire people to help with development.
n.d.korte
Name: Nick

Post by n.d.korte »

I must be very stupid, since this is a program created to be easy for children, but I as an adult have some very basic problems.
Can anyone please tell me how I can change the map size. By default I start with a map worldsize 10, but I want a map far larger, as I gather 16 is the maximum.
Can I increase the world size from the editor? or do I have to do this before hand? and if so, how do I do this?
I'm very sorry, I really cannot find the answer anywhere, not even in the tutorials, so I gather it must be so basic and stupid that I am totally reading around it or something, but I really can't find it.

Thanks in advance!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

I don't know what version you're using, but I thought this might've been added as a button in 2.8... but if it's not:

use the command /mapenlarge in the console and that should do it for you.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
n.d.korte
Name: Nick

Post by n.d.korte »

That did it, couldn't find the button, but no matter. thank you very much!