Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Is it possible to make a 3D/2D hybrid?

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
anc
Name: anderson

Is it possible to make a 3D/2D hybrid?

Post by anc »

I was wondering, is it possible to make a 3D/2D hybrid with Platinum Arts? Something like Final Fantasy tactics, with 3D terrain and 2D characters.

Best regards
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Re: Is it possible to make a 3D/2D hybrid?

Post by kddekadenz »

Hm, I took a look at Final Fantasy tactics. It uses an isometric perspective to fake 3D.
You could do it (e.g. have a model plane the 2D sprites are assigned to), but not out of the isometric view (without modifying the engine itself). There is a sidescrolling mode and a FPS and RPG mode. Both are first person and third person. You can change the height by changing the dimensions of the bounding box of the players model.
Besides, why should you want to do a 2D game with a 3D engine? If it is because of your lack of modeling skills, go ahead and search for a modeler, learn modeling yourself or use free models (e.g. from blendswap.com or opengameart.org).
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Re: Is it possible to make a 3D/2D hybrid?

Post by Hirato »

It's a conscious choice of art-style.

Sandbox doesn't do sprites at present, and billboards don't really exist outside of the particle renderer.
Sandbox isn't really a good fit for such a game
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless