Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

hyperlinks?

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
cliftoncarver
Name: David

hyperlinks?

Post by cliftoncarver »

Is there a way to add hyperlinks or links in this platform? I am a teacher and I would love to have my curriculum be in a virtual world. It is a self-paced curriculum so students would progress through different units. There would be a 'cell house' and within it they could go to different areas in the house to complete different tasks. The task details would then be hyperlinked to a google document (or something similar). Does anyone else know of another way to do this? Second Life is too expensive and I am trying to get open cobalt to work but it is a bit buggy.

Thanks!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Re: hyperlinks?

Post by chocolatepie33 »

To answer your question: no. you can add text as a particle entity and in dialogue menus, but not a connected hyperlink. It would also be troublesome to have students copy down the link as well.

Quite a few of us here (when we were active, that is) actually have created school projects using Sandbox, just not of this kind of scale. I personally created a virtual version of a Greek city (a polis) which included a temple, agora, theatre and some other things.

Additionally, one flaw is that Sandbox's editor, if it's not disabled, could be exploited by students, unless it's a part of the assignment.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
cliftoncarver
Name: David

Post by cliftoncarver »

Thanks for your quick reply! I think I am going to have to go down the path of using Edusim/opencobalt --- opensim--- or wonderlab. Do you have any experience with these 'second-life' type platforms and to which one my be a better fit?
Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Post by Leo_V117 »

Have you ever considered using a cheaper, easier and much more powerful option?

Might I suggest enlisting the power of Retro and good old fashioned gaming to bring kids and their assignments into the same environment? I do know of a program that allows you to use a 2D environment to make pretty much any kind of 2Dimensional game you can possibly think of, as well as allowing the potential of a 3D environment as well, allowing your "secondlife" appeal...

It does require programming skills of a sort, and a lot of patience, but the software would allow you to send your students directly to the document without the serious expenses. As well as making the whole learning experience both fun and memorable.

If you're interested, give Game Maker 8.1 a try. I'd be willing to help you out with anything you may need, and as far as I know, it only costs $45 ( Last I checked... There's GM:Studio, too... But that's pretty expensive. )