Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Foreign Dimension

Section for submitting new content to Sandbox, such as maps, code, etc.
Kids are also more than welcome to submit their work with parental permission!
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Foreign Dimension

Post by Mike »

Yep just cut out what you don't want. Use G + mousewheel to make a big grid size and plow away :D Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
GoBologna120
Name: Tim
IRC Username: GoBologna

Post by GoBologna120 »

I've started working on a gameplay version of Foreign Dimension. I should have some screenshots in a little bit. Let's call that first map a graphics demo, okay? :D
Yay. ^_^
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!! What did you have in mind for the gameplay? Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
GoBologna120

Post by GoBologna120 »

I'm creating a platforming level with a lot of teleporting. Oh! And there's walls made of water. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Now you can have a demo. Constructive criticism is welcome.
http://host-a.net/GoBologna/FD_Gameplay_Demo.zip
Let's hope it works without any problems this time. :lol:

EDIT 2: The link now contains an updated version. It's almost finished. I'm just working on details now. If you guys want me to work on scripting and stuff, just let me know. Man, it's amazing what you can do with 3 textures. :mrgreen:
Yay. ^_^
GoBologna120

Post by GoBologna120 »

I'd appreciate some feedback. :(
Yay. ^_^
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

I have some really busy weeks coming up so my responses might be a bit delayed but I'm going to check this map out this weekend :D Take care.
-mike
GoBologna120

Post by GoBologna120 »

Okay. Thanks.
Yay. ^_^
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

I really enjoyed your map! I thought you did a lot of stuff well:
1) It started off easy and progressively became harder. It wasn't a complete slope, as some parts were easier later on, but it kept me on my toes.
2) I really like the amount of variety, I never knew what to expect. Also those jumppads that send you all over the place were really well coordinated and done! I also really liked the rainbow bridge and the waterfall hallways.

Suggestions:
1) Does it have an ending? I might have forgotten to put it in SP but when I reached the end I wasn't 100% sure it was really the end. Also are you aware of how to change from one map to the next through triggers? Check out the mapchange map and mapchange.cfg , just in case you ever do any sequels :D
2) At one point in the level you allow the player to walk around the walls and see everything below. I wasn't quite sure where to go for a bit, which I personally don't mind too much, but some people get upset when they are unsure. This is directly before you jump down to where that lava is.

Overall great job, I really love the atmosphere you've created. Take care and keep up the good work!
-mike
GoBologna120

Post by GoBologna120 »

Well, I'm not sure how I should approach creating an ending. In my mind, I have a few different options. I could switch to a new map, have the player collect some sort of valuable treasure, or make a path looping back to the beginning. Maybe a combination of some of those ideas? ;)

As for walking around the walls, I didn't intend for that to be part of the gameplay, but I might play off that a little in a later version. Maybe an alternate ending? :mrgreen:

Let me know what you think.
Yay. ^_^
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

There are a bunch of options. You could have a gui pop up (invisible or visible model with dialog, such as some happy dude) that says congrats you beat the level or whatever, or just have it appear on in the console through the echo command, end the level and have it go to another level (such as is done with the mapchange as mentioned), or you could use particles 10 I believe to write THE END in particles, or a combination of these :D

Oooo alternate ending, sounds interesting. If you need any help with any previously mentioned stuff let me know :D Take care!
-mike