Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

RPG dialogue Development Enviroment

Section for submitting new content to Sandbox, such as maps, code, etc.
Kids are also more than welcome to submit their work with parental permission!
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

RPG dialogue Development Enviroment

Post by kddekadenz »

I spend an afternoon in creating a development enviroment for the dialogue system of the RPG module.

I created this for shorten the scripting process of Kelgar, but I want to share it with you.
This is a Beta, please give feedback.

Online version
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Re: RPG dialogue Development Enviroment

Post by chocolatepie33 »

looks pretty good so far, initially I thought it was a testing environment but now I realize that it's the other way around, where you can actually input the desired output to get the required input. Nice. It'd be a pretty interesting system if you could use drag-and-drop templates to set up a conversation or inventory system. This last idea is a bit of a joke, but you could have tips and such thrown in, maybe explanations of what things do, the explanations could be turned on and off as needed, but that would help a first-time user learn about the way the RPG dialogue system works.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

The current version of Scratch does not have an object duplicate function :(
I could do sort of a help button, which toogles help. It could be shown when hovering over sth.
Jordan Ashby
Name: Jordan
IRC Username: Jordy

Post by Jordan Ashby »

That's awesome, thank you so much. That really helps keep things strait for a newbie. A brief help section about linking responses with each other would be nice. Took me a bit to get that one but over all it's well thought out and very helpful. I'd be happy with a simple help file briefly outlining it.
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

Thank you :D
Originally I wanted to do an enviroment with graphical nodes you can drop and connect.
I dropped this idea back then, because of the restrictions of the framework I used (Scratch). The new version of it does include object cloning now, though, so one should be able to implement my original idea using it. Sadly, I currently have not enough time to.
Jordan Ashby
Name: Jordan
IRC Username: Jordy

Post by Jordan Ashby »

That would be awesome I was thinking of making something that simply color codes cubescript with Notepad++ or CodeBlocks (both open source and awesome). I'm in to making things easy. I also like writing and once I understand things a bit more I plan on writing in depth scripting tutorials about all the things that I think beginners like me might get confused about ... Yeah, I don't know who decided that 24 hours was enough for one day cycle, especially for a student.
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

I will not do the node thing. It would be really helpful, but I have other priorities.

I usually use the color code stuff being compatible with C++, since the languages are kinda similar.
Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Post by Leo_V117 »

Was this written in flash? If so, why?
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

Nope. It was written in Scratch: scratch.mit.edu
It's a framework designed in fact for children, but it is useful for adults to create quickly prototypes, too.

It would be cool to have a dialogue enviroment written in Javascript and HTML5, since that would work on most computers without requiring additional work to port it.
Alternatively one could use FreePascal/Lazarus together with a 2D graphics library.
Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Post by Leo_V117 »

Why did you not use Java? That's pretty easy to learn, and I'm pretty sure it's cross platform.