Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Kid Friendly

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
klimyriad
Support Team
Support Team
Name: liam

Re: Kid Friendly

Post by klimyriad »

Yea well it is because more adults want there own games
Firstspace the attack Progress. Image
Maps= Image finishing the town of hisal map.
Models and textures Image Just started finding these.
Menus, script's and other stuff. Image
Venima
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Tombstone
IRC Username: Venima
Location: Somewhere in the eternal planes between the living and the dead

Post by Venima »

I'm generally a good problem solver, not only that but I have been a forum admin before so I know the possibilities. Lets see...

I assume the forum can't only be visible to people who's age is x or above? Instead of there being a group. That way kids who are younger don't even know about it.

Otherwise I do have a rather good idea, now not all adults will need this forum since not all of them want to make "non-child friendly" projects. So how about if, to get to the forum, you must be in a certain group, and to get in the group you must pm an admin requesting access to it.

From this we can add in things that are required in the pm, like current occupation and where. (e.g. for me it would be Student @ Colchester Institute, Essex, England or perhaps just have the Occupation)

I would think kids would be too scared to try requesting access to it even if they wanted to.
Tombstone's Tournament round 2 has begun! Tombstone's Posting Tournament

Try out my: CFG Easy Text Editor (Note: still in beta)

-----Venima
Kanduras

Post by Kanduras »

shrug. If you just want to scare off kids. its easy

tell them its full of the lovey dovey stuff like holding hands and cooties... er sorry. was a little to easy ;)

but easy way. state in reply to the pm that you will want a video conference with them to have a visual age verification. If they are willing to do this. skip it and let em in, as probably an adult and not scared to show thier mug to you. If not willing, chances are its a minor trying to access and you just scared em off ;)
Runescapedj
Name: Michiel
IRC Username: Sandboxdj

Post by Runescapedj »

I don't wanna make a personally video, I don't think many people want, so not many will be able 2 access it, maybe not even Mike or Leo etc.
Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Post by Leo_V117 »

Uh... Most forums have a Age Prevention Security Code in place. Mine Does... It means you have to register and be above a certain age to access certain content. That means you need to be in the "Member" Group on the forum, Theres Members, then theres Members who have been allowed by me to access the content.
Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf »

I'd just like to say that whatever you guys decide I'll support it. I do think that the Drivers License and video conference ideas might be a bit too far. But some simple disclaimers and some kind of age restriction on signup/entry into that particular forum should do fine. In the end it's up to the parents to judge what their children may or may not know and in reality, if a "kid" changes his profile's date of birth, what can you do anyway? Chances are that anything you put in place is going to be invaded at some point and if someone wants to get in, there's very little you can do against such an occurrence. It then falls into the hands of the parents to A: scold the child for getting around the parent's rules (which is how we normally treat the situation) or B: educate the child on what they've seen or C: take one of the previous actions and put better limits on the child's internet settings.

I myself am an adult and have been considering projects that may not fit into every parent's dream. Not because I'm a bad person but because when I roleplay (or game in general) I want to be in a world where I feel comfortable, which is the point of downloading Sandbox in the first place...to make our own worlds right?

So I think whatever we can do to cater to both sides of the battle line should be done. I do agree with Obsidian and some others posting before me, that you have a forum here with everything prepared so just make some modifications. That's really the best and most economical way to solve the problem.

Hope my opinion helps, good luck guys and let me know when you get it setup.
Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Post by Leo_V117 »

Oh yeah... I set the age restrictions for members to 12+ and theres a download section that contains all the projects and that can only be viewed by members.
Runescapedj

Post by Runescapedj »

That's a good idea, maybe you can change the download section in 2 groups, 1 with stuff that everybody may download (child friendly) and 1 with 12+ stuff
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

I'm sorry, but I don't think 12 and up should be allowed.... I'm still pretty sure the original idea was 18 and up. Older material, yet contained by the same rules as this forum... So I don't know what was going to be different (maybe a bit more bloody stuff?? :shock: ) or what would change, but it wasn't supposed to allow 12 year olds. Just some thoughts. 8-)
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
Runescapedj

Post by Runescapedj »

So you think you're 2 young for it 2? And Leo and Me 2?