Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Mini-Game Series for Sandbox

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
siimvuss
Name: S
IRC Username: S

Re: Mini-Game Series for Sandbox

Post by siimvuss »

so I want to know how many people and how much time are willing to work for this project. Also I want to know what anybody can and is willing to do.

So ill start:
I have some experience in programming, so I can help with coding.
I have A LOT of experience with sandbox, so I can do maps, put the whole thing together etc.
I have some experience in modeling, so I could make some models, if needed.

The time I´m willing to spend depends on who and how help me. If you only say like "Hey, its fun idea, ill help! I don´t know anything about anything tho and I don´t have much time!" then I´m not willing to spend my time either and I´ll just work on my UDK project instead. But if people who actually have some skills and time, then I´ll help a lot more.

I´m not able to help from 15th to 13th of june tho, because My class won a free trip to France :P

Can´t really see anything else necessary at the moment so this is it.
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

siimvuss wrote:so I want to know how many people and how much time are willing to work for this project. Also I want to know what anybody can and is willing to do.

So ill start:
I have some experience in programming, so I can help with coding.
I have A LOT of experience with sandbox, so I can do maps, put the whole thing together etc.
I have some experience in modeling, so I could make some models, if needed.

The time I´m willing to spend depends on who and how help me. If you only say like "Hey, its fun idea, ill help! I don´t know anything about anything tho and I don´t have much time!" then I´m not willing to spend my time either and I´ll just work on my UDK project instead. But if people who actually have some skills and time, then I´ll help a lot more.

I´m not able to help from 15th to 13th of june tho, because My class won a free trip to France :P

Can´t really see anything else necessary at the moment so this is it.
Yep, I already started and have a pretty fun map with some teleporters and jumpad's and platforms. It's hard if you don't control your rc right so it's kinda a challenge.

I'm gonna continue with some more maps and connect them.

Siimvuss, do you want to create our own individual Mini-Game Serie's? Or all work on it together?
Epic! :D
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
siimvuss

Post by siimvuss »

no lets work on it together, just I made this announcement, because it seemed as a good idea to me, but it seemed fading, like noone was intrested anymore. So I tried to give it a little punch to keep it going :P I don´t even wan´t to be the project leader or anything, just wanted to know how willingly would the project go :P
Runescapedj
Name: Michiel
IRC Username: Sandboxdj

Post by Runescapedj »

I can maybe make some maps, but I think this project needs coding most, where can I help?
siimvuss

Post by siimvuss »

well this is the TO DO list:
1)Make a new gamemode
2)make the bot follow player
3)make it so that if bot touches player then player dies
4)make bot "smart" so it doesnt fall down anywhere
5)make it easy to change difficulty level (aka bot speed, maybe even more bots?), can be done with a slider, Rune´s idea to make the bot faster every time sb dies could be selectable feature
6)maps
6.1)maps should be challenging, there could be single player and multiplayer maps, multiplayer maps should have things like one player jumps on another to reach a platform (which he otherwise wouldn´t be able to reach), then pull a lever etc and then a bridge etc will appear and the player who stayed behind could come too
6.2)bot(s) should be able to reach players iow not get stuck, like not being able to get over some hole etc
6.3)maps could have (don´t have to) checkpoints, so when you´re almost done and then fail, you wouldn´spawn at the very beginning, but nearer.
6.4)also keep in mind that the map must be beatable, so I´d recommend making some safespots and the place where bot spawn should be a bit away from the place where players spawn.
7)need to code map start, some ready time, so bots wouldn´t instantly capture players instantly. Like 10! 9! 8!.........3! 2! 1! GO!
8)need to code map end, so that when all players finish then sth will appear on your screen like: "Woot! You made it!, It only took you x minutes and y seconds" and then close the map.(a nice feature which could be selectable could be saving your replay :P)

This is all I can think of atm, if you have anything to add then say :P
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

siimvuss wrote:no lets work on it together, just I made this announcement, because it seemed as a good idea to me, but it seemed fading, like noone was intrested anymore. So I tried to give it a little punch to keep it going :P I don´t even wan´t to be the project leader or anything, just wanted to know how willingly would the project go :P
Runescapedj wrote:I can maybe make some maps, but I think this project needs coding most, where can I help?
There's not much coding to do so that's fine. But mapping would help.
@Siimvuss, I'm going be absent for a bit, but I'll still work on maps and stuff. I'll send them to you if you wanna preview them! I've already got one 96-97% done, so that will be the first one I'll send.

I was thinking map packs and I love those ideas!

Making a new game mode... Would it be possible to copy FPS and change some stuff that way it'd be more for the Mini-Games then regular FPS? (btw, what do you think for a mode name? Mini-Game? :) )

This sounds good!
siimvuss

Post by siimvuss »

I think that mini-game is fine unless anyone can come up with a better name.
Your absence is not a problem, cuz im leaving tomorrow anyways. It´s nice to know that the first map is almost ready.
More about the mode...I haven´t paid attention to how the game modes are coded in sandbox, so i´m not familiar with it. Tho It should be rather easy to add a new mode, isn´t it? I was thinking about switching in the menu like banana relay? Tho if thats not possible we could always make a new launcer like for moviecube or cartmode.
I don´t know if you have permission to edit the svn? if you have then it would be great and we could put it in SVN when I get back. I haven´t still gotten my svn download working :S
Also if by the time we get something done someone could host a server? I have tried myself, but with no success because I don´t know how to forward ports. Then we could try it in multiplayer too :P

Anyways, I´m gonna look into the code when I get back, but atm I had an idea about the AI:
The bot should locate the player nearest it and move towards him, until it wither hits the player or another player is nearer. Of course it should avoid obstacles, mainly not getting stuck behind a little wall.
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

Well, I haven't tried anything with the svn as I don't have it (tho considering what it has now, I might get it :) )

I don't know how much different Mini-Games would be from the other modes... If we just wanted them to play, then that wouldn't be to create... and if they wanted to edit just have them type /edittoggle in the command console...
siimvuss wrote:Of course it should avoid obstacles, mainly not getting stuck behind a little wall.
Oy, I hate that 0_0

I believe Klimy has gotten some good success with servers so I'll ask him about that. But until we get the mode working, it would be fun to have map pack downloads. That way, you can download one pack and get a certain few maps :)

Another thing I just realized would be great:
Respawn points or save's.

I've already got a couple respawn points in my map and they're strategically placed, so you have to complete a section before you can reach the next respawn point. I'll send it to you once it's done.

Now, about the saves.... Would it be a good idea? Like at the beginning of the map, you can save and that way if you have to shut down SB, you can pull it up and just go right to the save...
Here are some ideas for levels:
1. You can't go on to the next level until you beat the one before.
2. You can access every level, but you can also start from the first one as well.
3. The levels are locked except for the first one and you can save progress at the beginning of each map. (once you beat the series, you unlock the next one and the first series is completely unlocked forever :) )

I think the 3rd one would be best. The 3rd would kinda make you want to finish the series, so that you can go back and play any game you want.

Sheesh, I've got a lot of ideas. How about achievments?

"What's a life??" when you finish the level without dying.
"Golden Bliss!" when you finish the level while getting all the coins along the way.
"Timed Terror." when you finish the level under x amount of time.
"Ultimatum." when you finish the level while doing all of the above. :P

There could be more of course, but it would be fun to have those. Exp points, coins etc. All would contribute to a good series! And each series has to have it's own plot possibly.

Finally, the mode... I think we can take as much time on this one as we need since we can publish the maps by themselves. That'll keep everyone happy while still allowing time for creating the mode. But I don't have any experience with C so I can't really help except for functions with CubeScript once it gets to that stage. But I think we should copy and/or modify an existing mode (preferably FPS). What do you think?

Woah that's a long post :D I hope you'll read it :lol:
Last edited by arcones on June 14th, 2010, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reason???? Because I can! :D
Runescapedj
Name: Michiel
IRC Username: Sandboxdj

Post by Runescapedj »

I've read it, maybe you can make it just like an rpg with xp and with that xp you can upgrade your speed (so you can jump futher 2) and jump height (to jump to higher platforms and futher as well (of course, but like 75 % of the speed thing (speed thing is mostly for achievements))), and maybe you can make levels beatable with nothing upgraded, but much harder than when you replay levels to get xp, and much xp for achievements, really nice idea Arc!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Modifying the mode sounds nice... get the best of all three (whoops, 4, always forget moviecube) in the new mode.

FPS: entities
SSP: pickups and enemies
RPG: spells
MCube: "actors" (bots)

@Arc: #3 sounds good. But I have something to add: buyable levels? Get x-many coins to buy the next level if you're stuck, like on S. Spielberg's Wii game "Boom Blox". Saw that on a demo. I hate getting stuck on levels in games. After y-many tries (your pick), you get the purchasing option.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!