Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

programming/level design

Discussion of things not related to Sandbox
chocobot

programming/level design

Post by chocobot »

hi :!:

when i grow up and go to university i want to study something that has to do with programming or level design. so first I have to find out which I enjoy most, problem is I don't know anything about programming and I don't know where to start :(.

most of you know how to code stuff, so how did you start?

should i first do html then javascript and then something else? or can i jump to something like lua without any other knowledge?

thanks in advance!
Dannyboi
Name: Danny

Re: programming/level design

Post by Dannyboi »

Well im havent been on very long but I personally like the wiki! Check it out its got lots of info and it will help you out!! If you dont understand any of it theres plenty of people here that will help you out! Dont be afraid to ask for help.

Thanks
Danny
I'm BAAAACK!!! >:D
chocobot

Post by chocobot »

Dannyboi wrote:Well im havent been on very long but I personally like the wiki! Check it out its got lots of info and it will help you out!! If you dont understand any of it theres plenty of people here that will help you out! Dont be afraid to ask for help.

Thanks
Danny
i checked the wiki and the cubescript part but didn't understand a lot of it :P

ps: if you mean the normal level editing stuff, i know how to do that, its just the programming.
Dannyboi
Name: Danny

Post by Dannyboi »

Ha I didnt understand alot of it at first but you should work on the savetheprincess map and larn how to change what she says to what you want. But like I said dont be afraid to ask for hlep on anything.
I'm BAAAACK!!! >:D
Obsidian
Former Staff
IRC Username: Katana

Post by Obsidian »

Well, first off, learn the basics. It's dull, yes, but it is rewarding in the end. For true programming languages, you'll need to know all about if/elseif/else conditionals, while and for loops, integers versus booleans versus arrays, all of that stuff.

As for languages, just pick one! Most of them are easy to learn. I started with Visual Basic 6, myself. It was an evil language, but I learned programming basics from it. After that, I discovered PHP and took to it with success...I guess that's why I'm the board technician, I know all about this web development stuff. Been working with PHP/XHTML/CSS/JS for over a year now, maybe a year and a half.
うるさいうるさいうるさい!

github: https://github.com/damianb/
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

I think Dannyboi made a good point. Check out the save the princess example in the FAQ and start by modifying what she says. Then try to add even more text and play around with how it works. Then when you get more advanced look at the village example and go from there. Everyone starts out where you are, start small and keep trying :) Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
chocobot

Post by chocobot »

ok thanks all :D
chocobot

Post by chocobot »

http://cube.wikispaces.com/Cubescript+Tutorial

would that be a good way to learn cubescript along with looking/editing code already used in maps in sandbox?
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

Also this is a good one!
http://www.clearcrystal.co.uk/cubescript_1.html

Take care!
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
chocobot

Post by chocobot »

Mike wrote:Also this is a good one!
http://www.clearcrystal.co.uk/cubescript_1.html

Take care!
-mike
that one seems nice!

i did a quick look and so far it seems awesome with small pieces of code instead of big blocks.