Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Scripting

Discussion of things not related to Sandbox
johnno56
Name: John

Scripting

Post by johnno56 »

I have been following the comments made to others about programming / scripting, and have notice something familiar. Most of you will advise to "edit" an existing piece of code instead of providing the code for us. That is when I recalled an old Chinese proverb: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

It's too easy for we noobs to use code that we did not create. Sure, it gets the job done. But how much do we learn?

Although I do not fully understand the syntax of cubescript, I do understand the flow and the logic from previous qbasic programming.

Now where did I put my text editor?

J
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
Dannyboi
Name: Danny

Re: Scripting

Post by Dannyboi »

Ha. Good one, well then you might be able to answer a question for me. Whats a good way to learn to script??
I'm BAAAACK!!! >:D
Obsidian
Former Staff
IRC Username: Katana

Post by Obsidian »

What we intend, when we say "edit this", is experiment with it. You learn from the errors, you know. ;)
うるさいうるさいうるさい!

github: https://github.com/damianb/
Dannyboi

Post by Dannyboi »

Ok.

Offtopic: I downloaded the coop edit patch does this mean the beta server for it is available now?
johnno56
Name: John

Post by johnno56 »

Danny,

To answer your question of, "What's a good way to learn script?", can be both simplistic and complex.

The simple way is to read and practice the examples that you would find in documentation - Books or manuals of Cubescript. Wiki pages will give you a taste of the various commands etc.

The harder way, which I believe is the most beneficial way, is to do as suggested. Edit and existing script. For example, change the text that a character would say. Run it and see. Make changes to commands and conditions and see what errors that produces. It will be a steep learning curve (not easy) but will be the best teacher.

Note: BEFORE you make ANY changes, ALWAYS make a copy of the file you are about to change!!!! Will save many headaches.

Hope this helps.

J

ps: If I locate any books etc, I will let you know.
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
Dannyboi

Post by Dannyboi »

Thanks for all the help J.

Thanks again

Danny