Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Questions/Help

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
Altec
Name: Isaac Benjamin

Questions/Help

Post by Altec »

Hello!

Firstly I would like to apologize if my questions have already been answered. I did take some time to comb through the forums and view the Frequent Questions with no avail. Also I would like to say how awesome this program is. I have always been into computers, I have always hated programing though...It truly is like having to learn a whole new language. Anyway.....

I am running Mac OS X 10.6.1 I don't even own a windows computer. My main problem with sandbox are trying to figure out how to get my own textures and models into the engine. I saw the tutorial about getting textures in there but it was for windows...also I still can't figure out the model part. I spent over $280 on Game Models and Textures at a very high quality. I am aiming to make a Mirrors Edge/Half-Life 2 game, although it will be freeware! Anyway, I have been practicing mapping in sandbox, but really want my own models and textures!!!

Thanks for the help, it will do me much good. I look forward to your responses!

Concept art for the game a buddy of mine drew:

Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Questions/Help

Post by Mike »

Check this out for starters:
http://sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/index. ... to_Sandbox

For textures, they are added in through the maps art.cfg If you want all the maps have it available then you can add them in through data/default_map_settings.cfg It is generally better to add them at the bottom of the list so that it doesn't mess with the textures already put in your maps. Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

supported model formats
  • obj
  • md2
  • md3
  • md5
supported texture formats
  • DDS (DXT1)
  • DDS (DXT3)
  • DDS (DXT5)
  • TGA
  • JPG
  • PNG
  • BMP
  • XCF
  • BMP
  • GIF
  • XPM
  • and whatever else is supported by sdl_image
as far as adding them into sandbox goes, this should not be very different to using windows, the directories are naturally elsewhere, and you'd be using your own native text editor in place of notepad.
and good luck, very few of us use OSX, so we might not be able to aid you any further
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
Altec
Name: Isaac Benjamin

Post by Altec »

Thanks for the help guys!

I will try to get started on my maps now, I will post some screens of it when I can. Thanks again!