Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

models

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
siimvuss
Name: S
IRC Username: S

models

Post by siimvuss »

I have a question...
I have some models which I downloaded from here: http://www.md2.sitters-electronics.nl/index.html
But when I try to load them in sandbox they show up as a empty object :( Can anyone tell me what the problem might be and how to fix it?
Radder

Re: models

Post by Radder »

For right now you can load them into Sandbox using the obj file included in the downloaded models.
Follow this tutorial:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=293
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updates on the tutorial since written:
Now we have a my_stuff folder so you do not have to put your new folder under the packages default folder anymore
You do not need to change image files to a jpg files, just rename the auvBG.png to skin.png as the tutorial describes in changing names.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also you can add these lines to the obj.cfg file.
mdlspec 40 That controls how shiny or dull your mapmodel is. Lower numbers = duller in appearance... so 40 has some shine to it.
mdlscale 1000 That controls how large your model is. Higher number the larger in size your mapmodel. 1000 would be well, fairly large.

Open up the obj's mtl file and remove this line:
map_Kd auvBG.pcx (Remember each model will have it's own map_kd line in it.) Whether this line needs to be remove or not I did not test to find out but it's pointing to a file format that Sandbox does not support.

It will not affect the correct loading of your mapmodel.

Edit:
I posted a picture of my folder pilaar with the files so you can see them.
I also just converted the obj to a md3 after but the above will get ya'll going. later this weekend will update the post to include the coversion to md3 files.
I believe the license allows you do this kind of modication but read them to be sure...
Attachments
folder.jpg
pillar.jpg
siimvuss

Post by siimvuss »

I did almost everything your guide said.... But it didnt work :(
Maybe its because they didnt have a .mtl file?
Radder

Post by Radder »

Yes, if you miss a step it will not work. Inside the his modelpack1 folder is where the mtl files are located, I got the pilaar model obj file and the .mtl file from his first model pack folder.
Go back and check each step and be sure to include the mtl file inside your Sandbox folder that you created. The picture of my folder shows you what files are needed.
Make sure your cfg file has the right extension which is obj.cfg

If you were using the md2 file by mistake, yes, they do not have a .mtl file.
siimvuss

Post by siimvuss »

I had the md2 and obj file in the same folder... but there was no mtl file...

update:
I checked the other folders... Only some of the models included in that modelpack had mtl files :S

But still... I cant get it to work :(
Radder

Post by Radder »

Unless we are not looking at the same modelpack (modelpack1). I rechecked and all obj files have a mtl file with them. Anyway, when I first got Sandbox it took awhile to sort out mapmodel loading out, from obj files, md2 files and md3 files.
The reason the md2 files don't work is that internally they are pointing to a pcx texture file and a path for the files to be located in. I working to see if I can correct that so you can use the md2 file.
siimvuss

Post by siimvuss »

In modelpack 1 there were mtl files on all of the models but I wanted to use modelpack 19 for halloween :D

I tryed to load pilaar in sandbox but there must be something i do wrong because it doesnt load in sandbox :S

Could you upload your files so i can see what do I do wrong?
Radder

Post by Radder »

I tested the obj files without having the mtl file and you do not need them. I like keeping a mtl file with my obj files but it is not needed for Sandbox.

I loaded the model "hang2" from modelpack19 (gross looking for sure) into Sandbox using these files.

Remember to place the hangtwo folder I'm sending you in your

my_stuff\packages\models folder

I tested it and it loads the model correctly. Hopefully this will show you what your are doing wrong.

Edit:
Also when you are in edit mode at the command prompt make sure you type this correctly:

mmodel hangtwo

If you don't you will just get a empty box.
Attachments
hangtwo.zip
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 118 times
siimvuss

Post by siimvuss »

Ty very much for your help... Without your tutorials I would´we achieved nothing... But the main problem why i couldn´t get models loaded was that I am soooo idiot. I placed the folder "models" into my stuff, but not my stuff/packages! :D
Last edited by Obsidian on October 24th, 2009, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed self-censored profanity; if you feel the need to self-censor, please just omit it instead
siimvuss

Post by siimvuss »

I have one question... Whenever I try to change the mdlscale then my model shows up as a empty box... Does anyone know whats the problem? And is it even possible to change the size of the .obj model?

***EDIT***

I realized what I did wrong... If you want to change the models size then type this into its cfg file

Code: Select all

mdlscale 100

note: the number behind mdlscale means the percent of its original size... The default value of the mdlscale is 100... For example if you type mdlscale 50 then the model is 2 times smaller, if you type mdlscale 200 its two times bigger...
Hope this helps someone :D