Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

More tutorials

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
siimvuss
Name: S
IRC Username: S

More tutorials

Post by siimvuss »

As probably most of you know Sandbox has a tutorials list here: http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/in ... rials_List
I think that tutorials are extremely important for starters, so I was thinking that everybody could write their tutorial requests here, so they can be added to the wiki and I or sb else could write these tutorials.

So what tutorials would you like to see?
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Re: More tutorials

Post by chocolatepie33 »

If anything, I'd aim for info like how to use RPG mode (Hirato has one up, but that's for SVN), how to build a realistic building (the base is usually a different texture than the main part, tips like that), and (maybe) something on C++ so users can adapt PAS as needed. Heck, we could always try to teach people how to make the stuff seen here:
http://sauerbraten.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

I'd also like to see some stuff on how to maximize fps, or recommendations on what to use (hardware-wise) when using Sandbox.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
shred
Name: shred
IRC Username: shred

Post by shred »

hello :)

my sons use sandbox quite a lot and are pretty good at creating some amazing stuff(for their age) but we have tried to hollow out a pyramid and it always deforms. we have tried many approaches to achieve it but always it always goes wrong, the wiki has a listing for hollowing out a pyramid but there is no information.
so...if anyone can point me to a tutorial we will be very happy
thanks in advance cos im sure many people have the answer to this
jSoftApps
Name: J.R.
IRC Username: jSoftApps

Post by jSoftApps »

@shred: try using the smallest cube size (G + scroll wheel) That's how I did it
jSoft Apps Software Innovations - App, Games and More!
Visit our Website!

jSoft Apps is now on indie db!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

chocolatepie33 wrote:Heck, we could always try to teach people how to make the stuff seen here:
http://sauerbraten.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

I'd also like to see some stuff on how to maximize fps, or recommendations on what to use (hardware-wise) when using Sandbox.
That takes hours of work, plus the dedication to see a project that big go through. I would love to see something like that come to Sandbox as well, I just know from experience, that maps with super amounts of detail run badly on lower end computers (like mine) even with EVERYTHING off. (Skycastle 2 being the main one I tried out).

@Shred, jSoft is correct. When using a large G-size, and then switching to a smaller one to hollow it out, the geometry will go wacky (further information can be read on that on the wiki). Use the same G-size if possible when hollowing it out (I wouldn't use the smallest cube size though, that's super small...)
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
shred
Name: shred
IRC Username: shred

Post by shred »

thanks for replies :D
i have messed about with some of your suggestions and stumbled on a solution that works for me, it all seems a bit random but im sure there is a method in the way you lay the four blocks, whether left to right then drag towards yourself or right to left or any of the other possible combinations (not sure though) ,to determine which side to start boring into the pyramid and therefor how to place your doorway so it faces the way you want it to. anyhow , if where you start makes it deform, press undo (ctrl+z) and try coming in from another side and it seems that one side will work for sure, regardless of the grid size, sorry for the long winded re-post but i think this might help someone else ;)
jSoftApps
Name: J.R.
IRC Username: jSoftApps

Post by jSoftApps »

@shred: you don't have to push ctrl-z to undo, you could just push the z button. Glad you figured out a solution.
jSoft Apps Software Innovations - App, Games and More!
Visit our Website!

jSoft Apps is now on indie db!