Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Age of Darkness - RPG by Vulcanis Entertainment

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use our gallery?)

Which name sounds better?

Poll ended at October 11th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Legends of the Dark Ages (LotDA)
29%
Age of Darkness (AD)
71%
Battle of Time (BT)
No votes
"Your suggestion" (post any names you think might be good and I will consider them)
No votes

Total votes: 7

java.x.beast
Name: Addis
IRC Username: javaxbeast

Age of Darkness - RPG by Vulcanis Entertainment

Post by java.x.beast »

Just to let you guys know, I've completely changed the the whole idea of the game, including the name. I realized that I could not build a game of the idea I had when I first started. My team and I have finished most of the storyline and have decided that it's time to start bringing our ideas to life. We started our first map, the city of Valdalia, around a week ago and have finished the main hall.

I am pleased to announce that the project has been coming along pretty well. We expect a small demo to be out shortly ( by the end of October ).

Thanks to all that have been supporting us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------EDIT----------------------------------------------DATE: October 2, 2011-------------------TIME: 3:22-------

At the request of BlackGulf, I will release a small bio of the game. VERY SMALL.

BIO:
You are a guy. You fight. You time travel. The End. :shock: :shock:
LOL, no I'm just kidding. :P

REAL BIO:
You are a science fanatic trying to figure out how to go back in time and save the world from some of the most dangerous and cruelest villains that have infected society with the miseries of greed, hunger, lies, and jealousy. Just to name a few. One day, you find out how to time travel. Before you could turn the machine off, it sucks you inside the portal's time vortex and spits you out into England during the 1500s. You have to train in old-fashioned fighting techniques. You later go on a journey to travel through each of the "Dark Ages" to fight the greatest villains of all time in order to save mankind's future. You travel to different eras such as: 10,000 B.C. (Yes, I got that from the movie), Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, Feudal Japan, WW1 Era, WW2 Era, Western Era, and Modern Era (Like GTA). You must go on a life-long journey to change the future of Mankind by changing the past of Mankind.

HOPE THIS HELPED!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------EDIT----------------------------DATE: October 7,2011--------------------------TIME: 5:44-----------------

Hey guys, good news. Because of the release of PAS2.7, my team and I are now able to resume work on AD! I am currently teaching the rest of my programming staff how to code in Cubescript. So far, things have been going as planned. I have started a new map, which will contain a prison and maybe some other stuff too. I'll continue to update you guys on our progress.

Thanks for all your support guys! Have fun with PAS!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------EDIT---------------------------DATE: October 11,2011-------------------------TIME: 5:44--------------------

Hey guys, I just thought that people might want to see some progress instead of just my text...so I have some screenies! It's a pub/tavern in one of my unnamed towns. I call it "The Horned Wolf". Thanks for all the views on my thread and here are the screenies!

Sorry but the screenie of the inside was too big so... LINK:
http://i54.tinypic.com/o9lh02.jpg
The black-ish thing is the bar. Where the people have to walk up to to talk to the bartender and buy a drink.

CEO of Vulcanis Entertainment,
Addis Regassa
Attachments
Another outside pic. Again, notice the HUD
Another outside pic. Again, notice the HUD
The outside view. The cobblestone is the road. The brown rocks are the (dont walk here) zone. Notice the HUD
The outside view. The cobblestone is the road. The brown rocks are the (dont walk here) zone. Notice the HUD
Last edited by java.x.beast on October 11th, 2011, 7:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Age of Darkness
Maps: Image
Music: Image
Models: Image
Scripts: Image
Other: Image
Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
Visit the company page on ModDB: Vulcanis Entertainment
java.x.beast wrote: I got them moves like JAGger!!!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Re: RPG Project - Apocalypse of the Gods

Post by arcones »

While I admire the amount of dedication you seem to have if you're going to continue this for 10 years, I'd recommend starting out small. Work on your mapping and scripting skills, and get to know the engine WELL. Once you have the advanced topics under your belt, move on! Start with concepts and prototypes of maps, models, ideas, etc. Find others who seem interested, but don't expect them to stay around for a long haul of 10 years. That's just a lot of time for any person to spend on ONE game, especially if they want to move on to other games.

Like I said before, start with something small, a proof of concept, just to show that it can be done, and trust me, others will definitely want to help then. As it is, with a bold statement of 10 years, that will scare most potential helpers away.

I'm not trying to gainsay you, I just want to provide and offer help. After all, that's what I'm here for ;D

Arcones
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
jSoftApps
Name: J.R.
IRC Username: jSoftApps

Post by jSoftApps »

I agree, It's smart to start with something small (I learned that one the hard way :) )
jSoft Apps Software Innovations - App, Games and More!
Visit our Website!

jSoft Apps is now on indie db!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

As did I, that's why I offered that advice. If you take a look farther back in the Show off our work section history, you'll see my old ghost, The Land of Terak, floating around :D

I made one map that was never finished and just quit. Perseverance is necessary, but for a project that could take an entire decade and into my late 20's, is beyond my game development scope.
RonnieNeeley
Name: Ronnie Neeley

Post by RonnieNeeley »

Well I wouldn't say that is totally true, Tritium is the first game I've started, and thus far the only one. We've been going over one year strong on it. Yes, making an MMORPG is challenging, but if you are dedicated enough, there really is no "pro" to starting something small first. Starting small is mainly a dedication issue; it's easier to finish something small than large.

It's refreshing to see someone so enthusiastic and realistic towards their goal. I'd say your best bet is to work out most of the game, and then make a small demo of the game. More developers will join your team if you have something to show for yourself. Personally, I'd rather help with something established than make something from scratch.

Here is a little guide I wrote up a while ago, it may be helpful to you: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1559

Good luck!
java.x.beast

Post by java.x.beast »

Thanks Ronnie. That guide was really helpful. I expect a demo map to be out around the time of the 20th of September, or the 20th of August. There is a factor of the game I haven't quite decided on yet. The size of the world. How many maps should I use? I was thinking around the area of 4 or 5, maybe 6. I also need to get used to Sandbox, which might be a little over a month. I'm a fast learner. I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me how to make a slanted roof for my buildings?

I currently am trying to get one of my best friends that I've known for 5 years to help me with this project. He is very interested already, I just need to convince him to join the PAS community. If he does, I know he won't quit on me and he'll also be a great coder since he already knows some java.

One more thing, I wanted to get in touch with you Ronnie, I sent a chat invite by the name of "the.hackables.hack@gmail.com". I wanted to know if you accepted and what time you could be on. Maybe we could work out some sort of schedule.

Thanks.
Age of Darkness
Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

java.x.beast wrote:I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me how to make a slanted roof for my buildings?
Use Q and scroll. It's important to note that each cube can be slanted down 8 times till it hits the bottom. You'll see what I mean when you try it. That's very useful for detailing.

Ronnie, you're completely correct. But on the one hand you've started strong, and with a solid base of ideas and concepts. As with any project though, you're bound to get discouraged, especially the larger the project is. All that I'm saying is that with a projected development time of 10 years, it'll be easy to get discouraged if you think you're not going to finish it for a decade. Heck, I'm developing Dark Tunnels, and it's not always easy, despite the progress I'm making. Simply because I look forward at what I still need to do and go, "Oh dang..."

But if you set realistic goals, then you have a strong chance of finishing your project. I don't want to see this project die (as so many other Sandbox RPG/MMO projects have), and so I wanted Java to understand that 10 years can be a long time when developing a game, even with the help of friends. I hope that makes sense :P

EDIT:
I'd say your best bet is to work out most of the game, and then make a small demo of the game. More developers will join your team if you have something to show for yourself.
Yeah, that was kinda my point as well.
java.x.beast

Post by java.x.beast »

Sorry if I mislead you Arcones, but the development time isn't ten years, it's around one year hopefully, but with constant updates to the game. Ten years is supposed to be how long we follow up on the game and fix any bugs there might be.
Age of Darkness
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

Ah, okay, that makes much more sense. Thanks for the clarification, and I hope this project goes well!
java.x.beast

Post by java.x.beast »

Thanks, Arcones.
Age of Darkness