Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Possible solution to common teleport issue

Learn more on how to use Sandbox, or submit your own tutorials or resources.
Orrellgav
Name: Gav

Possible solution to common teleport issue

Post by Orrellgav »

OK I have gone right through the previous posts re teleporting and note a lot of people have the same issue I have

You have a map (lets say called town) with a house on it.

You have another map called house

you want to enter the house through the front door (leaving townmap and going to start point in house, near front door)

You may then want to exit map house by the front door, or the back door and, depending on which you use, you woudl need to start at the front or back door of the house in the town map.

There doesnt appear to be any clear answer as to how to do this.

I think the way to do it would be to set a variable (called dest - maybe) when you exit the town map. this would be set to either 1 or 2 depending on whether you enter through the front or back door of the house.

Once the house map is loaded you actually start the map somewhere else - where you cannot see. immediately you hit a teleport which checks whether the variable dest is showing 1 or 2 (or any more for that matter)

depending on the value of dest the teleport will send you to teledest 1,2 etc (front door/back door etc)

I think that would work, I just dont know where in the CFG it records which teledest value to use, so it can be made to change.

I think thats right and would just like finger pointing in the direction of that part of the cfg.

Or telling I am well off the mark!

Cheers dudes!
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Re: Possible solution to common teleport issue

Post by Hirato »

This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
Orrellgav

Post by Orrellgav »

Thanks, where woull I find an example of the coding needed for this? I have been diong it in FPS mode and need to expand the whole set up, but what I have found seems to relate to FPS only then.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

I'd recommend looking on the wiki, Hirato used to have a tutorial there for using the SVN rpg. Might still be there.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
Orrellgav

Post by Orrellgav »

Hmm not quite getting this.
I have made the maps, the level trigger things work fine in FPS but dont in RPG (I think that is as it is, but if not argghhh! what am I doing) IM not sure if I woudl be better making my game in FPS and just stripping out some of my ideas. In FPS (where I can make the triggers work) can you still have inventory, mulitple weapons, and (and this is crucial to my game) a variable that increases with certain actions, decreases with others and decreases over time, that will affect your character. Like adrenaline. and can this be shown on the HUD in a meter. Im tryign to get as much doen each time before i come back with another question
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

I think that 2.7 is supposed to be coming around in a few weeks, might wanna wait for that to be out, then you can use the RPG from that, I'm not sure how far along Hirato will be with it by then.
Save the wiki!
Orrellgav

Post by Orrellgav »

how much will be transferable? If I can copy my maps over I can spend the time polishing them up, trouble is I am sooooo impatient, I think Ill keep tryng and rework it when 2.7 comes out. Cheers
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

I'm not sure about reverse-compatability, as I think 2.7 will have new textures and models to follow the new "commercial" policy (commercial meaning we shouldn't have models and such that have a non-commercial license). The actual map should be alright, but you would have to re-texture some things and use different models.
Save the wiki!