Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Concept and Questions

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
Richcat
Name: Rich

Concept and Questions

Post by Richcat »

So I have a concept for a game similar to Wurm Online, but with some major exceptions. I am wondering for those that know that game if this software is capable of helping to produce such a creation... Main features is MMO ability and players change and build the world... other then the base resources and a base structure the world would be entirely player built and lived in. Main point of the game would be a large social enviorment with various activities to kill time. Would like to have more char development then Wurm and alot less of a grind... Also being able to mix in some arena PvP combat. Any thoughts to if this is the right software for me to attempt this would be appreciated.
Runescapedj
Name: Michiel
IRC Username: Sandboxdj

Re: Concept and Questions

Post by Runescapedj »

First of all, to create a MMO with PAS, you need lots of experience with coding, so I really don't suggest it, and building in the world, isn't possible, you have to make 2 (nearly) the same maps to do that, and load the other map, that way you can slightly change things (just make one, save, then continue building, and save under a different name, and you have 2 slightly different maps). PvP is possible, and so is character development, but to have it more than once in 1 server, I don't think it'll be that easy...
Richcat
Name: Rich

Post by Richcat »

Thank you for that input. As this is my first experience with creating a game could you suggest a style of game to start with that will help me with learning the basics as well as good probability for success? This is something i would really like to get into but sadly cant afford to go to school to learn it so must teach myself.
Runescapedj
Name: Michiel
IRC Username: Sandboxdj

Post by Runescapedj »

Well, I can't code, and without coding, you can make a jumping game, a platformer, you can maybe help other people with building maps for their projects.
This is an example of a jumping part in my map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAeMDXCg85E&NR=1 1:53, the map can be downloaded at viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3011
The first thing you can learn, is just how PAS works, with lighting, how to make realistic looking things, stuff like that, just mess around making maps.
Another tip from me is to start working with squares, and add detail later.
Some editing things are: Q+scrolling, G+scrolling, selecting some stuff, press H and then scrolling, X ,C ,V, the F numbers (For example F2), find them out yourself ;).

EDIT: And yes, this is advertising for my own map ;)