Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Dark Tunnels

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use our gallery?)
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Re: Dark Tunnels

Post by arcones »

Hey guys, I have some beef, mainly with the RPG mainframe itself. I really don't like the way it's set up and if I can't get a hold of it, I will still pluck along. However, I believe there may be another solution and if that solution works, it would mean a drastic improvement, not only in gameplay but coding ability and opportunities.

Essentially I would move all my Sandbox maps over to Unity 3D and end up learning C# with help from numerous sources and friends. That would allow me to personally work on the scripting and do exactly what I want to do. Meanwhile I'll still try to understand RPG coding, but I don't know if I'll use it.

That's all for now guys, thanks for the support!

Arcones
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

arcones wrote:Hey guys, I have some beef, mainly with the RPG mainframe itself. I really don't like the way it's set up and if I can't get a hold of it, I will still pluck along. However, I believe there may be another solution and if that solution works, it would mean a drastic improvement, not only in gameplay but coding ability and opportunities.

Essentially I would move all my Sandbox maps over to Unity 3D and end up learning C# with help from numerous sources and friends. That would allow me to personally work on the scripting and do exactly what I want to do. Meanwhile I'll still try to understand RPG coding, but I don't know if I'll use it.

That's all for now guys, thanks for the support!

Arcones
The mainframe? Is that like, the folders and scripts and such? I kinda hafta agree with ya. However, I believe quite a few people (hirato, wildflower, java.x.beast + KM) are working on different tuts for RPG scripting. Might wanna try with them first.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Post by Leo_V117 »

@CP: Dude, and dont forget me and ESB! Working my rear off to get RPG Script to work in that. 8-)

@Arc: As I said on Steam, thats a very intelligent thing to do. But you're gonna have a LOT more work to do. I mea, ESB will be released in a couple of weeks, and that'll have a full addition of RPG Script, and a bunch of hands-on, user-created tutorials for RPG. 8-)
java.x.beast
Name: Addis
IRC Username: javaxbeast

Post by java.x.beast »

@CP + arcones: Yes, I am working on video tutorials. Although due to technical difficulties, I will not be able to make it audio. It seems I have misplaced my headset. :/ In order to make up for this, I have been working harder on the tutorials. I'm currently working on it as I speak right now. I hope my share of the tutorials will be out in a week. I don't know if Matt has had the time to start though. I'm also making a separate website for it, like ESBTuts.

@Leo: Who would forget ESB? It's probably the best non-PAS-staff-made product for PAS. I hope you find a way around NET Framework, because I can't download it because I can't install VSP 1 (same reason as Visual Studio). I really look forward to using ESB. Thanks for the major contributions to PAS!
Age of Darkness
Maps: Image
Music: Image
Models: Image
Scripts: Image
Other: Image
Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
Visit the company page on ModDB: Vulcanis Entertainment
java.x.beast wrote: I got them moves like JAGger!!!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

chocolatepie33 wrote: The mainframe? Is that like, the folders and scripts and such? I kinda hafta agree with ya. However, I believe quite a few people (hirato, wildflower, java.x.beast + KM) are working on different tuts for RPG scripting. Might wanna try with them first.
Yeah, but like I said, I'll continue to give this a look while I determine if I can use Unity. I know that others are working on tuts, and that's the reason I'm staying put for the moment, not moving immediately.
Leo_V117 wrote: @Arc: As I said on Steam, thats a very intelligent thing to do. But you're gonna have a LOT more work to do. I mea, ESB will be released in a couple of weeks, and that'll have a full addition of RPG Script, and a bunch of hands-on, user-created tutorials for RPG. 8-)
Yes, I realize it'll be hard. The difference is, while I'm working pretty much solo with Sandbox on DT, there are Unity developers out there, who are looking for projects to help with. That said, there's a better chance I can get help for the Unity engine than the Sandbox engine. Plus, someone mentioned this a while back on the DT ModDB page, "Are you doing this in Unity? You should really this in Unity."
java.x.beast wrote:@CP + arcones: Yes, I am working on video tutorials. Although due to technical difficulties, I will not be able to make it audio. It seems I have misplaced my headset. :/ In order to make up for this, I have been working harder on the tutorials. I'm currently working on it as I speak right now. I hope my share of the tutorials will be out in a week.
I look forward to it Java! I would really like to stay with this engine!

@All: Even if I did use Unity, I would by no means leave Sandbox. After all, it's incredibly easy to build with, I know it fairly well, and there's a great community! Plus, I have other projects that are being developed with it! Thanks for the input guys!
InHumanUnit
Name: Ian, Haiku, I got alot ;)
Location: Toyko, Japan. Currently in Illonis, Round Lake in America for secret purposes

Post by InHumanUnit »

arcones wrote:
chocolatepie33 wrote: The mainframe? Is that like, the folders and scripts and such? I kinda hafta agree with ya. However, I believe quite a few people (hirato, wildflower, java.x.beast + KM) are working on different tuts for RPG scripting. Might wanna try with them first.
Yeah, but like I said, I'll continue to give this a look while I determine if I can use Unity. I know that others are working on tuts, and that's the reason I'm staying put for the moment, not moving immediately.
Leo_V117 wrote: @Arc: As I said on Steam, thats a very intelligent thing to do. But you're gonna have a LOT more work to do. I mea, ESB will be released in a couple of weeks, and that'll have a full addition of RPG Script, and a bunch of hands-on, user-created tutorials for RPG. 8-)
Yes, I realize it'll be hard. The difference is, while I'm working pretty much solo with Sandbox on DT, there are Unity developers out there, who are looking for projects to help with. That said, there's a better chance I can get help for the Unity engine than the Sandbox engine. Plus, someone mentioned this a while back on the DT ModDB page, "Are you doing this in Unity? You should really this in Unity."
java.x.beast wrote:@CP + arcones: Yes, I am working on video tutorials. Although due to technical difficulties, I will not be able to make it audio. It seems I have misplaced my headset. :/ In order to make up for this, I have been working harder on the tutorials. I'm currently working on it as I speak right now. I hope my share of the tutorials will be out in a week.
I look forward to it Java! I would really like to stay with this engine!

@All: Even if I did use Unity, I would by no means leave Sandbox. After all, it's incredibly easy to build with, I know it fairly well, and there's a great community! Plus, I have other projects that are being developed with it! Thanks for the input guys!
Can I make a suggestion?
UDK, it has lots of tutorials, its pretty simple, its kewl, it has lots of people, ect. I also use it too, every now nad then.
XEON BOX GAMES - XBG is a blast from the past of a pirate mast to a cars thats fast.
You dare challenge me to Halo:Reach? You must die!
Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Post by Leo_V117 »

InHumanUnit wrote:Can I make a suggestion?
UDK, it has lots of tutorials, its pretty simple, its kewl, it has lots of people, ect. I also use it too, every now nad then.
UDK: Is not simple.
UDK: Is not cool compared to Unity3D.
UDK: Is slow.

@Arc: Dont use UDK.
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

InHumanUnit wrote:Can I make a suggestion? UDK, it has lots of tutorials, its pretty simple, its kewl, it has lots of people, ect. I also use it too, every now nad then.
Yes you may, but I've already decided on Unity ;D Thanks for the input though!
Leo_V117 wrote:
InHumanUnit wrote:Can I make a suggestion?
UDK: Is not simple.
UDK: Is not cool compared to Unity3D.
UDK: Is slow.

@Arc: Dont use UDK.
Don't worry, I'm not :P
java.x.beast
Name: Addis
IRC Username: javaxbeast

Post by java.x.beast »

I've never heard of Unity3D. Do you think I should get it? Just to try it out?

-Java
Age of Darkness
Maps: Image
Music: Image
Models: Image
Scripts: Image
Other: Image
Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
Visit the company page on ModDB: Vulcanis Entertainment
java.x.beast wrote: I got them moves like JAGger!!!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

Well, Unity3D requires a 3rd party software/application to create the levels. You can't edit the levels in real time like you can with Sandbox.

So you'd have to use something like Blender to create levels. But! I found a bypass for this (it was my experiment). You can create the map in Sandbox, (without textures) and "write" the map file as an .obj file (/writeobj). Go to the my_stuff folder, locate it just to make sure. Open the file in Blender (sometimes it can be difficult, make sure to check the show hidden files button). Then you can export it into Unity3D.

Anyway, that's just to say, I would say go ahead! It's being used more and more in the latest games, so I don't see it becoming obsolete any time soon.