Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Spacecraft

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
johnno56
Name: John

Spacecraft

Post by johnno56 »

Hey guys,

I am running SB 2.7.0 on Linux and am interested in importing a spacecraft model. First of all, I am NOT creating a simulator. I am trying to make a game where the player locates a transporter to access a hovering spacecraft, perform a series of tasks, and escapes before destruction.

Does anyone have or know of a 3DS model (including skin) that I could use. The size is not important. The model is just decoration in the sky. The actual interior will be another map location.

I am not 100% familiar with the process of importing the model & skin into SB and would appreciate any step-by-step tutorial on how to do so. As I have very little experience in doing this, I would appreciate if the "jargon" would be limited.

Thank you for listening.

Regards

J
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
java.x.beast
Name: Addis
IRC Username: javaxbeast

Re: Spacecraft

Post by java.x.beast »

I don't think this topic belongs in the Sandbox Chat forum. It should be in the Support Section so that everybody can learn how to import models. I don't know much about models... you should wait for Leo or Eagle or some other experienced modeler to come on.

-Java
Age of Darkness
Maps: Image
Music: Image
Models: Image
Scripts: Image
Other: Image
Visit the company website: (In progress (Expected to be released in two weeks :uber:) 8-) :D 8-) )
Visit the company page on ModDB: Vulcanis Entertainment
java.x.beast wrote: I got them moves like JAGger!!!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

Java, have you seen this?

That's your answer for importing models. Anyway johnno, I don't off-hand know of any spacecraft models, but I would assume that Google might. I would consider searching 3D modelling sites in general as most of those have all sorts of vehicles (so your chances of finding the right one is probably good).
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

Java and Acrones,

Thanks guys for replying so quickly. I should have realized that I had placed my problem in the wrong area. Just after I hit "submit". Isn't that the way? Anyway thanks for the advice and the site link.

Regards

J

Live long and prosper.
justanother1
Name: Joe

Post by justanother1 »

You can find plenty of free models at www.sharecg.com. For a non animated model you can export .obj from Wings3D. You'll need a model that's UV-mapped and has a texture, and if it has a normal map or needs an Environment map (mirror/chrome) you'll need the codes from the Wiki in your xx.cfg file. Follow Wings3D tutorial in the Tutorials section.
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

Justanother1,

Thank you for the link (now added to bookmarks) and you suggestions for Wings3D. I think Wings3D will require an application like Tattoo to create the textures. This appears to be a windows program. Although I have Blender and Wings3D installed, I am a Linux user. But, I have downloaded Tattoo, and will try to get it to run on Linux using the Wine application. Allows Windows programs to run on Linux (but not all programs). Thank you for the info and suggestions.

Regards

J

Live long and prosper.
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

Justanother1,

I tried to run Tattoo, but unfortunately, Tattoo is one of those programs that will not run properly. I will continue to search for a compatible texturing program. I will let you know how I go. May be useful for other Linux users.

regards

J

Live long and prosper.
justanother1
Name: Joe

Post by justanother1 »

Doesn't Blender have a paint mode ..... Many times I've made a texture before I made the model. I use Paint.net, but you could use Gimp to do the same. I'll build and post an example today .....
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

Thank you, squire. Your blood's worth bottling!

I have used Gimp quite a bit (not yet fully proficient) but have never learned how to use it to paint models. Hence my request.

Regards

J

Live long and prosper.
Tony
Name: Tony

Post by Tony »

If this is to be a distant object faraway in the sky...
...perhaps a true model is not necessary.

You could fake it and paint it right in the map with the terrain cubes.
Or paint it onto a skybox in flat 2d.

Keep it far, far away from the camera, and if you place it in onto a skybox, it will even be located where you want, relative to the sun or moon, and move around the scene accordingly.

Just a thought =)
Rockin' the Web for All the Right Reasons
Image Mind Reading Mastered
Image Canonize Juan Valdez and his Burro