Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

2.8 Wishlist

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
Leo_V117
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Leo
IRC Username: Leo_V117

Re: 2.8 Wishlist

Post by Leo_V117 »

Want to know my wishlist?

Add:
  • - Bullet Physics
    - Dynamic Lights
    - "Surface" portals.
    - "Oil" material. (You can walk over it, but slowly... When you try to stop, you slide for a little bit. You cant jump when standing in it. And you can sink.)
    - "Flight" ability in RPG. (Able to fly freely like in editmode, only in RPG mode using a spell.)
    - Gravity modifiers. (Ability to change the centre of gravity in a level. Simply by placing an entity in the direction you want gravity to be affected.)
    • - "Surface" material. (Surface-based gravity modifier. Acts exactly like the fourth gel in Portal 2.)

Remove:
  • - RC (He's a little too old in my opinion.)
    - "Image" loadscreens. (I want animated ones. I beleive they're more-than possible in RPG.)
Change:
  • - Water texture. (Want something that refracts more light, maybe even an option that allows you to change the water in the menu.)
    - Lava Texture.
    - Default textures. (I mean the first slots, use my Dev-textures to increase creativity and make all levels uniformed. They work better in Unity and other engines if they're all similarly built.)
Theres my wishlist. If those are added, I think Sandbox would be more usable for games I make in the future. At the moment, Sandbox isnt that usable for things like Dragon Training: Fire Fury or Project: Regen. However, I will still be using it to make Reactor 17 and NLHH.
InHumanUnit
Name: Ian, Haiku, I got alot ;)
Location: Toyko, Japan. Currently in Illonis, Round Lake in America for secret purposes

Post by InHumanUnit »

Leo_V117 wrote:Want to know my wishlist?

Add:
  • - Bullet Physics
    - Dynamic Lights
    - "Surface" portals.
    - "Oil" material. (You can walk over it, but slowly... When you try to stop, you slide for a little bit. You cant jump when standing in it. And you can sink.)
    - "Flight" ability in RPG. (Able to fly freely like in editmode, only in RPG mode using a spell.)
    - Gravity modifiers. (Ability to change the centre of gravity in a level. Simply by placing an entity in the direction you want gravity to be affected.)
    • - "Surface" material. (Surface-based gravity modifier. Acts exactly like the fourth gel in Portal 2.)

Remove:
  • - RC (He's a little too old in my opinion.)
    - "Image" loadscreens. (I want animated ones. I beleive they're more-than possible in RPG.)
Change:
  • - Water texture. (Want something that refracts more light, maybe even an option that allows you to change the water in the menu.)
    - Lava Texture.
    - Default textures. (I mean the first slots, use my Dev-textures to increase creativity and make all levels uniformed. They work better in Unity and other engines if they're all similarly built.)
Theres my wishlist. If those are added, I think Sandbox would be more usable for games I make in the future. At the moment, Sandbox isnt that usable for things like Dragon Training: Fire Fury or Project: Regen. However, I will still be using it to make Reactor 17 and NLHH.
I second the Bullet Physics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9HaT23b-xc
I believe, i Spanish the word I want to say is...
Megusta.
XEON BOX GAMES - XBG is a blast from the past of a pirate mast to a cars thats fast.
You dare challenge me to Halo:Reach? You must die!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

@Leo: are you sure that most of those (feature additions) are actually possible with the engine? I can understand the removals, the changes are relatively nice ideas (I was planning on changing my water skin as well, maybe lava), the dev-textures is also planned by... Ahab, I think, plus that may be how it is in Sauerbraten.

@IHU: I believe virtually all of us here want Bullet Physics (except for jSoft, who would like Havok Physics)

EDIT: with those additions in mind:

Code: Select all

recap

even more new textures (justanother1's "Joes" pack would be nice)
preview box fix
SSP and KRS mode advancements
ice + ladder material (unlikely? perhaps)
remade eyecandy/demo maps

new creatures and models
   -playermodels:
      *cool androids
      *"Danbo" or something similar
      *ragdoll, such as the LBP one, or from Ragdoll Blaster...?
      *a variety of people (pirate, viking, ninja, knight (arthurian), elf/dwarf, superhero, orc, 
      *half-human things?
      *aliens?
      *whatever thing you would have as a playable character in a game (likely humanoids)
   -creatures:
      *mythical creatures (but when does a horde of dragons follow you?) 
      *pets (a cute dog that follows you around, perhaps?)
      *bugs!? (and other pests)
      *fish...? (I know we already have an animated one, but even then...)
      *things that follow you
   -models:
      *any creatures that don't chase you (calimer/mike's frog, that kinda stuff)
      *daily things, vases, that kinda stuff...
      *lots of foodstuffs would be nice
      *things that would be animated, or things that can't be simply made in PAS (e.g. curved stuff)

minimap modification (highlight dead enemies with a different color)
simple addition of custom content (I mentioned skyboxes)
water wars, "fps with the s" (thank you justanother1)
snowball fight mode
footsteps and other sounds
.3ds model support (unlikely by what Hirato said, but he may've been referring to the .max format)
dynamic model changing 
new water physics? (unlikely)
definitely a reworked help menu
Bullet physics
geometry library (e.g. templates)
more movement options
Octaforge Features (Unlikely)
new lava/water skins (which can be changed as wanted)
new default textures (something similar to Sauerbraten, with the tiled default ground tex, maybe Leo's dev-textures)
animated loadscreens

3.0.0 stuff:

likely the above
new commercial-OK content (including lots and lots of new model replacements)

Other:

have I mentioned the logo?
new guis, maybe? loading screen and such as well?

JSoft:

http://forum.sandboxgamemaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3098&start=50#p29760

Ahab:

http://forum.sandboxgamemaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3098&start=60#p29777

Leo:

http://forum.sandboxgamemaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3098&p=30231#p30175

FROM THE FEATURE TRACKER:

GUI or keybinds for waypoints
Mouse-based driving for KRS
Space vehicles
Perlin command for heightmaps
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
InHumanUnit
Name: Ian, Haiku, I got alot ;)
Location: Toyko, Japan. Currently in Illonis, Round Lake in America for secret purposes

Post by InHumanUnit »

HAVOK physics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SXJBMjWtaw
That is pretty good, I have to admit.
XEON BOX GAMES - XBG is a blast from the past of a pirate mast to a cars thats fast.
You dare challenge me to Halo:Reach? You must die!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

@IHU: did you read the posts on the previous page about paying for it and all that? You might want to.

@all: why does the "my maps" tab in loading maps always have built-in maps? I believe the should be blank when you use Sandbox for the first time. It would make sense.
Here's an example of what the "loadmap" menu could be like:

Built-In maps, playable: playable maps, such as Chaze's "Experimental Chambers". Can be divided into FPS, SSP, RPG (but that's already shown... /rpg/gamename)
Built-In maps, eyecandy: maps that are used for showing off Sandbox. I'd hope these are universal.
Tutorial maps: maps like the texanim tutorial, and similar.
My Maps: the maps that you make. When using Sandbox for the first time, there should be nothing there, unless you moved things in from older versions.
Game Mode: choose gamemodes, such as SP, Coop, etc (those are the only working two, I think... the others, I haven't really tried. They look broken.)
Save the wiki!
KSAICDPAS01
Name: Omar

Post by KSAICDPAS01 »

Here are a few ideas for PAS 2.8:

1. A built in mapmodel,texture,light,sound,music,entity,script,creature,rpg spells,weapon studio (Water guns, toy guns, paintball guns, and laser guns, sci-fi-weapons; all of the weapons listed are safe for kids. Make sure to make the studio easy for kids!!! :D

2a.

Mapmodel Rotation: This is how we can rotate mapmodels in the game:

2b.

Mapmodel Rotation: This is how we should rotate mapmodels in the future:

3. Weapons like: water guns, toy guns, paintball guns, and laser guns, sci-fi-weapons; all of the weapons listed are safe for kids. Oh you should make weapons like tasers, only they look sci-fi, and are made of electric lasers, and make it funny when used!!! Also make it safe for kids, and instead of a pain weapon, it causes extreme tickles and laughs!!! :lol: :D I hope you can turn a pain weapon into a :lol: weapon. :D Here is the link: http://www.taser.com

PLEASE REPLY TO THIS POST FOR MORE IDEAS. LINK TO POST: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3349
Tony
Name: Tony

Post by Tony »

The Game or Game-Maker itself is coming along very nicely.
We can already do *most* things we need to do.

To make this easy-to-use, I think mostly now we need a lot of models for the software users to have without needing to learn Blender or create, animate, and import those models. Learning one new software (PAS) is enough of a challenge and learning curve for the beginner or student.

As they become more proficient with PAS, then they can venture into graphics creation, model creation, skins, animation, textures, and all of the finer arts of creating content for their games. But, to get this into schools and provide a box-stock software that students can use to create stimulating and interesting worlds, we should provide plenty of assets for them to use, right out of the box.

We have plenty of great textures. A few more skyboxes would be good, especially open-source examples.
More character models for sure, and more NPC models.

A few more object models would be good, but I would put character models ahead of that in priority.

I have been working on creating a plethora of Item Icons for use as Inventory items. Tools, general items, stuff for quests and adventurers. These I shall contribute and hopefully they can be included in the distribution package. Again, to make it user-ready right out of the box to begin creating great quests. I have dozens of inventory item icons created now, and more almost daily as I find time to whip them up.

Now, that all being said, here are some things that I would like to see:

Some of this stuff is already possible, or can be worked around. I think a more straightforward inclusion in the main menu may help with some of this.

With more character models, it would be nice to have a choice of characters for end-users to choose from. In other words, a game-player could choose a boy-toon or a girl-toon, and have a choice of various characters to play in the game. Perhaps even a model-builder function where they can choose hair color, faces, body type (or race), of the avatar/toon. That's a lot to ask, but game players do indeed like to customize their toons.

A Bank. Again, probably entirely doable now with a custom GUI and some store type scripts. But a nice prototype or base model would be nice. RPG games usually have a bank for storing the toon's junk in.

I am still new here and getting up to speed on the capabilities of this software. I'm not entirely sure where we are on developing some of this stuff. But I'm trying to get caught up by reading everything I can find and practicing in the maps and scripting. I think the ability to choose player-toons is a big deal for game-users, and I think a bank script or stock-GUI would be really nice.

Thanks,
- Tony

--------------------------
An afterthought about the content...
To keep it simple for new users, and to keep the core software download to a reasonable size, we could provide a very basic set of textures and models in the primary package. And then have supplemental "Accessory Packs" to download for more content.

That way someone just checking it out is not overwhelmed by sensory overload, and the server saves a bit of bandwidth for each "tire-kicker". Then, if the user wants to pursue more in-depth world building, they can download the content packages. Which could be organized according to application (e.g. Skybox, objects, characters, icons, etc.), or by theme, or by specific stage/scene sets.
Rockin' the Web for All the Right Reasons
Image Mind Reading Mastered
Image Canonize Juan Valdez and his Burro
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Tony wrote:The Game or Game-Maker itself is coming along very nicely.
We can already do *most* things we need to do.

To make this easy-to-use, I think mostly now we need a lot of models for the software users to have without needing to learn Blender or create, animate, and import those models. Learning one new software (PAS) is enough of a challenge and learning curve for the beginner or student.

As they become more proficient with PAS, then they can venture into graphics creation, model creation, skins, animation, textures, and all of the finer arts of creating content for their games. But, to get this into schools and provide a box-stock software that students can use to create stimulating and interesting worlds, we should provide plenty of assets for them to use, right out of the box.

We have plenty of great textures. A few more skyboxes would be good, especially open-source examples.
More character models for sure, and more NPC models.

A few more object models would be good, but I would put character models ahead of that in priority.

I have been working on creating a plethora of Item Icons for use as Inventory items. Tools, general items, stuff for quests and adventurers. These I shall contribute and hopefully they can be included in the distribution package. Again, to make it user-ready right out of the box to begin creating great quests. I have dozens of inventory item icons created now, and more almost daily as I find time to whip them up.

Now, that all being said, here are some things that I would like to see:

Some of this stuff is already possible, or can be worked around. I think a more straightforward inclusion in the main menu may help with some of this.

With more character models, it would be nice to have a choice of characters for end-users to choose from. In other words, a game-player could choose a boy-toon or a girl-toon, and have a choice of various characters to play in the game. Perhaps even a model-builder function where they can choose hair color, faces, body type (or race), of the avatar/toon. That's a lot to ask, but game players do indeed like to customize their toons.

A Bank. Again, probably entirely doable now with a custom GUI and some store type scripts. But a nice prototype or base model would be nice. RPG games usually have a bank for storing the toon's junk in.

I am still new here and getting up to speed on the capabilities of this software. I'm not entirely sure where we are on developing some of this stuff. But I'm trying to get caught up by reading everything I can find and practicing in the maps and scripting. I think the ability to choose player-toons is a big deal for game-users, and I think a bank script or stock-GUI would be really nice.

Thanks,
- Tony

--------------------------
An afterthought about the content...
To keep it simple for new users, and to keep the core software download to a reasonable size, we could provide a very basic set of textures and models in the primary package. And then have supplemental "Accessory Packs" to download for more content.

That way someone just checking it out is not overwhelmed by sensory overload, and the server saves a bit of bandwidth for each "tire-kicker". Then, if the user wants to pursue more in-depth world building, they can download the content packages. Which could be organized according to application (e.g. Skybox, objects, characters, icons, etc.), or by theme, or by specific stage/scene sets.
I swear to God, you're a man after my own heart (as the saying goes). I found a great bunch of skyboxes (12) at md2sitters. The license(s) they use mean we can use them any way we want. I'll upload them soon, I think.

I must agree, we need a LOT of new character models. Whether they be humans, robots, animals, we just need more. I believe Leo has been working on that. BlendSwap has a great amount of .blend models that I believe we could use.

I would really like to see your icons included in the next version of Sandbox. The repository idea (expansion packs) is one I've really been wanting, specifically a single place to store all the expansion packs, where they can be safe and secure.

Banks are possible in the game. I've made them many a time before in FPS mode. I'm not real sure about how to do it in RPG, but it can be done. A bank model would be even easier to make.

Like I mentioned earlier, I can really agree with you on everything here. A lot of this stuff is possible, and really should happen. However, I believe Hirato is mostly working on advancing Sandbox's actual engine. Maybe, after a certain version is released, he can start focusing on the content of Sandbox.
Save the wiki!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

chocolatepie33 wrote:The repository idea (expansion packs) is one I've really been wanting, specifically a single place to store all the expansion packs, where they can be safe and secure.
Mike's plan thus far (from what I heard) was to utilize expansion packs for any community content created. That way Sandbox doesn't become a HUGE download. I believe that might be partially why the Sandbox Social Site was created.
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
Tony
Name: Tony

Post by Tony »

I realize that some of my ideas have already been addressed, or at least discussed. I'm still the new kid here, I am not privy to everything that has been covered. My observations probably seem pretty obvious, but rather than not, I'll toss'em out there anyway.

I am discovering new possibilities every day, as I work with this software.

The "Supplemental Content Packages" method is a good idea to keep a small footprint with the core download.

Even now, the base scripting folders could be made smaller and more efficient simply by removing a lot of the commented and unused bits of scripts. That could be cleaned up. Too much junk has been left behind as folks tinker with the scripts and then leave stuff in for their own convenience rather than keep two copies updated (one for development and one for distribution).

I understand that it is not just a simple matter of point-click-distribute. Like so many of the new maps included in 2.7.1 with missing textures, probably just a matter of setting the execute command for the new files, but it was missed. The files are there, and the contributor's copy of the map/game probably works just fine. I can see how that could be easy to miss.

That's just in the scripting bits, I have not even begun to look into the core engine code. And honestly have no desire to either. But if the scripting bits could be optimized, chances are that the core could be as well, to make this a leaner footprint for distribution downloads.

Documentation too, is something this project needs badly. Or more organization of the tutorials we do have, or something. Without good documentation for new users, it is easy to fall into a sort of -in-house project situation. You want more people involved, and using the product or contributing, make it easier for them to get into it by providing good information in an easy to find and easy to navigate structure of knowledge base.

I am not one to just point and complain, I shall endeavor to contribute where and what I can to make this a better project. This is a good project with good folks driving it, this is worth doing. And if we do it just right, we will gather more like-minded folks to get involved.

Cheers,
- Tony
Rockin' the Web for All the Right Reasons
Image Mind Reading Mastered
Image Canonize Juan Valdez and his Burro