Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

RPG Keybinds

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
Tony
Name: Tony

RPG Keybinds

Post by Tony »

Code: Select all

bind 1 [thirdperson 0]
bind 2 [thirdperson 1]
bind 3 [thirdperson 2]
bind @1 [thirdperson 0]
bind @2 [thirdperson 1]
bind @3 [thirdperson 2]
bind ?1 [thirdperson 0]
bind ?2 [thirdperson 1]
bind ?3 [thirdperson 2]
...is wonderful.
Now... How does one go about assigning an icon image to the hotkey button graphic in the HUD?

How, and exactly where? An example please.

I know the image path, let's call that "data/rpg/hud/items/tony/button.png"

Also, what other commands can we use in the binds? Any suggestions?
I was thinking movement speed or weight that will affect movement speed.
Camera distance or focus, or better yet, back the third-person view out even further.
Also, animations, so we can animate some of the available slots and use them for emote type actions of the character (e.g. Dance, Cheer, etc.) at the press of a hotkey.

Oh! Or, rather than using up 3 buttons for first-person/third-person/swivel views, how would we toggle one button through those same 3 choices?

Any examples would be great, and mostly a method to assign a graphic image to the buttons on the GUI.

Thanks =)
Rockin' the Web for All the Right Reasons
Image Mind Reading Mastered
Image Canonize Juan Valdez and his Burro
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Re: RPG Keybinds

Post by Hirato »

for the hotkey row at the bottom: it's as the changelog said, it's not very intuitive and a bit hacky - I will eventually add an interface for it

You have the following commands for now to set hotkeyed actions
hotkey_get index
hotkey_set_pending item use (use -1 -1 to cancel assignment)
hotkey_clear index

you'd set a pending action (ie, hotkey_set_pending 5 1) and then press a hotkey combination, it will then assign that action to the pressed hotkey and clear pending.
so far hotkeys can be used to quickly (d)equip items (eventually this'll extend into using them as well, eg books and potions) as well as navigate dialogue via keyboard.

The image used for this hotkey bar is the same as the one used in the inventory menu, using your path, the icon you'd set for your item/use would be "tony/button"
As for your bind invocations, only the first 3 are correct

Also, what other commands can we use in the binds? Any suggestions?
You can use just about everything - some like "sleep" are best not used though
I was thinking movement speed or weight that will affect movement speed.
movement speed is calculated from your agility as well as assorted other bonuses via spells and what not. since 2.7.1 the weight limit was doubled, but going over 50% linearly decreases your speed to a minimum of 1%
Camera distance or focus, or better yet, back the third-person view out even further.
you can use thirdpersondistance - the actual distance is computed based on your movement speed.
the third person camera really isn't that great though, generally people wouldn't want to play via it.
Also, animations, so we can animate some of the available slots and use them for emote type actions of the character (e.g. Dance, Cheer, etc.) at the press of a hotkey.
I'll eventually add an AI directive to the RPG for playing an arbitrary animation (mainly for cutscenes) - but I have no intention of making these triggerable via hotkeys, it's simply not in line with my goals for the RPG.
If you simply wish to test arbitrary animations, there is /testanims #

EDIT

forgot about the bind question, since free rotation is kind of nasty, you can use one of the following

bind $somekey [ thirdperson (mod (+ $thirdperson 1) 3) ] //all 3 modes
bind $somekey [ thirdperson (! $thirdperson) ] // first/third person only
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks Hirato.
This bit here is good stuff:

bind $somekey [ thirdperson (mod (+ $thirdperson 1) 3) ] //all 3 modes
bind $somekey [ thirdperson (! $thirdperson) ] // first/third person only
Now, how do I set an image for the hotkey graphic button?

hotkey_set_pending item use
Is not persistent through logoff-logon.

I would like to permanently assign a graphic image to the assigned hotkey button for certain functions. I want these icons to be persistent.
Hardcoded in will make them unchangeable by the user. I want to script certain actions to be used by an assigned button and show a graphic representation of said action as the hotkey button in the user GUI.

I know the file path, I put the image there myself. I want to know exactly how and where to assign that image to the button slot.

---------------------------

As for other functions using hotkeys, such as emote actions (e.g. Dance, Cheer, Salute, etc.)
What would make that any different than using a hotkey to change views or other functions?
Seems like it's be about the same.

bind 1 [animation 3]
Stuff like that is very RP-ish.

Not everyone may be interested in making movies, but they may like to take screenshots. Animations like that make for nice screenshots.

Same goes for the third-person and free-rotation views:
...the third person camera really isn't that great though, generally people wouldn't want to play via it.
Free-rotation view is not usable for game-play as there is only a strafe and no actual turn method. But, again, for screenshots of beautiful scenery and a really cool toon, this is good stuff.

In other words, if I spend two months building a beautiful map environment, and a month on modeling a beautiful player-character... I want people to be able to see that character. Not just the back of it's head. I want them to be able to spin the camera around and have a look at my creation. And if they want to park the toon on a mountain top, with it facing the camera and take a screenshot of a beautiful scene with the character facing them in the foreground... and zoom the camera back a bit, I want the user to be able to do that. Or say standing in front of a cool boss-monster that they just killed.

While it is great fun building maps and playing in the scripting of this software tool, the end goal is not necessarily self-entertainment. For my purposes, I want to create games that people will enjoy playing. I am not writing games for other PAS user/authors, I am writing them for end-users to play.

You guys can write your own games to play, and have geek-fun galore all up in the scripting and such... I'm not writing these for you, I am writing them for people who simply want to play a nicely crafted game.

Me personally, I do not mind at all writing the scripts manually to make the games work. But I am not interested in having end-users needing any sort of scripting knowledge or editing files to make their game function. I want to write games that people can simply download and play.

This platform is perfectly capable of that.

And after all, is that not the goal of the project? To provide a tool that creates playable games?

I would have split that up into separate posts, but hey, when in Rome...

The moral of the story is, many different game authors will want to use a very good creation tool, for a variety of game types or styles. This tool can do that. But only if we keep an open mind to a wide variety of applications. And in the end, this is not only about the game authors, but the end-product. I mean a fun geek-toy is one thing, a tool that can actually produce quality games that non-author players will enjoy is another.

This software is perfectly capable of that, and the direction of development should be towards providing a tool that will produce professional looking/feeling/acting games, right?

I have yet to see an example of a fully functioning and complete game. There are a few good demo games, but I have yet to see a full-on game that could be considered finished and complete, and of enough substance to entertain a user for days and days or weeks and weeks.

Are there any examples in existence of fully-functioning stand-alone games that would be considered commercial-worthy?
(or whatever, distributable as a full-on game, not necessarily commercial, but worthy of offering to the public)

Thanks for the discussion opportunity, And a hint at how to make my custom keybind buttons show a custom graphic to go with it would be great,
- Tony
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

I have yet to see an example of a fully functioning and complete game. There are a few good demo games, but I have yet to see a full-on game that could be considered finished and complete, and of enough substance to entertain a user for days and days or weeks and weeks.
It is sad that several of the games haven't neared completion. On the other hand, every *active* game on here is a one-man show. I've had several offers from people who want to help and they never pull through. So I'm stuck with the mapping, modeling, scripting, possible animation and complete game design. And I'm trying to change it over from FPS to RPG. Not quite the easiest scripting change to make ;D

EDIT: Forgot real life obligations :P Those tend to interfere at the most inopportune times.
Are there any examples in existence of fully-functioning stand-alone games that would be considered commercial-worthy?
(or whatever, distributable as a full-on game, not necessarily commercial, but worthy of offering to the public)
Most of us aren't going commercial simply because we know that, being one man teams, we won't have the level of immersion or play-ability a commercial game is supposed to have. As it is, I would recommend Master Chef Ogro just as a game that was completed with Sandbox. It is a stand-alone download which you can get on the Sandbox home page or ModDB page.
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Aye, and a one man show on the development side as well.This is a lot to expect of one volunteer guy in his spare time, for sure.
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

I might also recommend you take a *quick* look at The Golden Coin, I believe it's not being made with Sandbox anymore, but when it was, it was easily the biggest project here.

http://www.moddb.com/games/the-golden-coin-tgc
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

It's not even being continued CP. But I think Tony knows that....
Tony

Post by Tony »

Aye, I does me homewerkz yo.

S'ok, we gonna make it all happen anyway.

Perhaps some nice new content will be presented for the big upcoming contest.

We'll have to see what turns up in the running, eh?

- Tony
arcones
Support Team
Support Team

Post by arcones »

Tony wrote:Perhaps some nice new content will be presented for the big upcoming contest.
Honestly, Sandbox needs some new RPG-ish textures. I should probably take the time to create some. It's funny though, I've had this weird problem with the phillipk textures that Sandbox received. Apparently they reflect the character's little robo-chimp lights. And it's really annoying. Textures aren't supposed to do that.
Tony

Post by Tony »

What do you mean by RPG-ish textures?

Not sure what that means?

Clarify that and perhaps I can help you with it.