Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Compilation of Icon Sets and a Skin for Bob the Urban Ogre

Section for submitting new content to Sandbox, such as maps, code, etc.
Kids are also more than welcome to submit their work with parental permission!
Tony
Name: Tony

Compilation of Icon Sets and a Skin for Bob the Urban Ogre

Post by Tony »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/izcbgo

Download this one now, as it will probably be deleted soon.

Be warned, this freebie file host is pretty ugly with the pop-ups and ads.
There is one tiny text link near the center of the page for downloading this file.
You absolutely do not need to download and install their third-party "download manager".
I strongly advise against it, as a matter of fact. There aint no telling what's in that thing.
I won't use this host-site anymore. Not ever. I promise.
Mediafire.com is a much better and cleaner freebie service.

OK, that being said...

This is a compilation of my icon collection so far.

Here is a list of what the package contains:
  • Model Skin for the PAS Ogre model, "BoB"
  • License.txt
  • md3.cfg
  • skin.png
  • skin.xcf
  • Item Icon Images: Gems
  • gem-blue.png
  • gem-diamond.png
  • gem-green.png
  • gem-orange.png
  • gem-purple.png
  • gem-red.png
  • gem-uncut-blue.png
  • gem-uncut-green.png
  • gem-uncut-orange.png
  • gem-uncut-purple.png
  • gem-uncut-red.png
  • gem-uncut-yellow.png
  • gem-yellow.png
  • Item Icon Images: Various Items
  • cloth.png
  • ink.png
  • quill.png
  • royal-scepter.png
  • sack.png
  • scroll.png
  • Item Icon Images: Ores and Bars of Metal
  • bar-copper.png
  • bar-gold.png
  • bar-iron.png
  • bar-silver.png
  • bar-steel.png
  • bar-tin.png
  • ore-coal.png
  • ore-copper.png
  • ore-gold.png
  • ore-iron.png
  • ore-silver.png
  • ore-tin.png
  • Item Icon Images: Elixirs, Flasks, and Potions
  • elixir-black.png
  • elixir-blue.png
  • elixir-brown.png
  • elixir-green.png
  • elixir-orange.png
  • elixir-purple.png
  • elixir-red.png
  • elixir-toxic.png
  • elixir-yellow.png
  • flask-blue.png
  • flask-funkadelic.png
  • flask-green.png
  • flask-orange.png
  • flask-pink.png
  • flask-purple.png
  • flask-red.png
  • flask-yellow.png
  • potion-black.png
  • potion-blue.png
  • potion-brown.png
  • potion-empty.png
  • potion-empty-wbg.png
  • potion-green.png
  • potion-olive.png
  • potion-orange.png
  • potion-purple.png
  • potion-red.png
  • potion-toxic.png
  • potion-turquoise.png
  • potion-yellow.png
  • Item Icon Images: Tools
  • axe.png
  • hammer.png
  • pick.png
  • rake.png
  • rope.png
  • saw.png
  • shovel.png

Included as well are clear Instructions on how to use these and the license information.
Rockin' the Web for All the Right Reasons
Image Mind Reading Mastered
Image Canonize Juan Valdez and his Burro
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Re: Compilation of Icon Sets and a Skin for Bob the Urban Og

Post by Hirato »

just looking through them quickly, they seem good but...

1. The gemstones , I think making each face a different shade would work better than drawing the drawing the edges and blurring them. (and don't the bottom edges usually converge?)
2. The uncut gemstones have artifacts on the edges - they look as though you rendered some cloud noise, selected a rough oval and cleared everything else, why not try drawing it using vectors/paths?
3. The elixir icons seem a bit off, I can't put my finger on it
4. The Flasks have similar artifacts as #2 and contain extra pixels of noise on the edges, I would also move the corks up a bit
5. The potion bottles (with the exception of the empty one) have a white background, what you can perhaps do instead is to have the liquid glow, it is magical afterall :P
6. The rope looks flat and somewhat off, I'd draw it so the curves deviate to their respective sides and be nearly straight in the center of the image
7. The hand saw's handle seems rather off and the blade's alignment too as a result

I've otherwise included the icons I feel made the cut, even if our styles are radically different :)
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

I must agree, I like the gems, but the uncut ones look very weird. If you want a vector image editor, I'm recommending Inkscape, which I believe a few people (myself included) use here.

The lid of the elixir looks somewhat funny (to me at least), along with the edges, which don't look right as grey. Perhaps black would be better?

Also, what is Bob for exactly? Is he just the ogre in basic casual/street clothes like you'd see today?

And please use MediaFire, I believe you've established that you will.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
Tony

Post by Tony »

1. The gemstones , I think making each face a different shade would work better than drawing the drawing the edges and blurring them. (and don't the bottom edges usually converge?)

They're pretty *censored* really. But a hella lot better than what ya had, which was nothing.

2. The uncut gemstones have artifacts on the edges - they look as though you rendered some cloud noise, selected a rough oval and cleared everything else, why not try drawing it using vectors/paths?

I do use vectors. I dunno, I haven't even looked at those since the night I made them. Prolly half asleep when I did it.

3. The elixir icons seem a bit off, I can't put my finger on it

Don't put yer finger on it, or in it, some of that stuff is toxic.

4. The Flasks have similar artifacts as #2 and contain extra pixels of noise on the edges, I would also move the corks up a bit

Those are pretty *censored* too. Look more like grenades than a flask.

5. The potion bottles (with the exception of the empty one) have a white background, what you can perhaps do instead is to have the liquid glow, it is magical afterall :P

Yeah, they have to have a background. Else the clear glass looks terribad with a black background as in when you click an item in the inventory detail screen.

When the background where these will be displayed varies from clear, to white, to black, to brown... you gotta take precautions with transparent images.

6. The rope looks flat and somewhat off, I'd draw it so the curves deviate to their respective sides and be nearly straight in the center of the image

You should do that then. The Gimp is thataway, right?

7. The hand saw's handle seems rather off and the blade's alignment too as a result

It's a cartoon yo, like the rest of the game.
I've otherwise included the icons I feel made the cut, even if our styles are radically different :)
We have creative differences... I'm creative, and you're different :lol:

I wanted them to be cartoonish, but recognizable for what they are. If I were going for ultra-realistic, I'd just screenshot models as they are made. Which is probably what I'll do for some of this stuff.

One of my favorites was the Quill... and the scepter. The axe was pretty cool. The ores were pretty cool. Most of the rest of it is *censored*. Man it's been a long time since I have done this stuff, it takes some practice to get back into it.

Ha.. I forgot two folders too. I'll add those in on the next batch I suppose.

Oh well, practice is practice. Right now I'm working on some textures... which Mr. Programmer Guru Dood... Give me the breakdown on the settings for the shader settings, in English, that I can use.

Like this:

Code: Select all

setshader bumpspecmapparallaxworld
setshaderparam specscale 1 1 1
What exactly do these settings do, and what other rules can be set as well?
'Splain it to me.

I'm getting some textures that are far too shiny, I'd like to tone that down some. Especially anywhere near a Light... man they wash right out, they reflect too much of that light. Even just in the ambient world light, they are too shiny, but it gets really bad near a light entity.

Some of the other textures in our collection do as well, and I suspect they could be toned down in the shader settings there in the file.

Also... how are you guys getting color onto those greyscale textures? I see these greyscale maps, and I see the normal maps to go with them, but there is no diffuse layer... how do you get the color to show on those maps?

'Splain it, smart guy.

:geek:

Hugs,
- Tony
Tony

Post by Tony »

LOL@ Censored... too funny.

My post was auto-censored for saying naughty-bads... that weren't really bad...

That's a new one on me man, too funny.
Tony

Icons and such...

Post by Tony »

On yet another tangent.. and yeah Ima post again, that's right.

On these icon images, I think the safest way is to make them with solid backgrounds rather than to try and work everything around varying background colors where they are displayed. I've looked at a lot of other games, and they use solid pictures. I see why now. There is no benefit in trying to make transparencies and worrying about how a dark image will show on a black background in one screen, and then in the next screen the BG may be light. Especially when people start making custom UI's.That would resolve some of the artifact issue as well. It is difficult to make an image that will render properly over a black AND a white background. Flat images are cheaper too, that transparency cost some weight... multiply that by 40.. FORTY icon slots... on a screen.

An example.. a Black Potion Icon from my set.. with no Background looks really bad against a solid black background, but looks pretty good on a white background.

Another thing that I noticed with your magical RPG KeyBind thing... the images there get greyed out pretty bad. It looks like there is an alpha layer over the icon area that is not entirely clear... like it is grey, or rather a very thin black. Like it is shadowed over. Something is up with that, the icons do not look bright when applied to the key-bind button.

There ya go, yer major drama for the day, Enjoy,
- Tony
Tony

Post by Tony »

chocolatepie33 wrote: Also, what is Bob for exactly? Is he just the ogre in basic casual/street clothes like you'd see today?
What do you mean, what is he for?

That's Urban Ogre Bob !!!

He's wearing Converse Sneakers and baggy pants man... and has Bling...

He's like the Run DMC of Ogres.

if you get near to him, you can even hear, "Walk This Way..." playing on his iPhone.

Just wait until you see his sister, Erma... Urban Ogre Erma...
...we don't really have a female ogre model... so.. well... she looks a lot like Bob in Drag, m'k.

:D
Hirato
Developer
Developer

Post by Hirato »

Tony wrote:1. The gemstones , I think making each face a different shade would work better than drawing the drawing the edges and blurring them. (and don't the bottom edges usually converge?)

They're pretty *censored* really. But a hella lot better than what ya had, which was nothing.
Since I didn't add them, you could argue it's still nothing :P

Yeah, they have to have a background. Else the clear glass looks terribad with a black background as in when you click an item in the inventory detail screen.

When the background where these will be displayed varies from clear, to white, to black, to brown... you gotta take precautions with transparent images.
Of course, but this is in stark contrast to the other items. When UI lands as the default UI system, they will always be overlayed onto "data/rpg/hud/empty.png" (it's meant to act as the background).
If you're having visibility problems, you can always give the glass a colour, or even add some glare onto the glass (ie, light is reflecting)
You should do that then. Krita is thataway, right?
Fixed :3c

It's a cartoon yo, like the rest of the game.
Female figures aside, you don't see it stopping the Japanese when it comes to their cartoons :P
Oh well, practice is practice. Right now I'm working on some textures... which Mr. Programmer Guru Dood... Give me the breakdown on the settings for the shader settings, in English, that I can use.

Like this:

Code: Select all

setshader bumpspecmapparallaxworld
setshaderparam specscale 1 1 1
What exactly do these settings do, and what other rules can be set as well?
'Splain it to me.

I'm getting some textures that are far too shiny, I'd like to tone that down some. Especially anywhere near a Light... man they wash right out, they reflect too much of that light. Even just in the ambient world light, they are too shiny, but it gets really bad near a light entity.

Some of the other textures in our collection do as well, and I suspect they could be toned down in the shader settings there in the file.

Also... how are you guys getting color onto those greyscale textures? I see these greyscale maps, and I see the normal maps to go with them, but there is no diffuse layer... how do you get the color to show on those maps?
[/quote]

you can find the docs i wrote here http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/in ... g_textures
In addition there are also some stuff for sauerbraten that may be worth a look through, ask if you require any clarification

specularity wise, this is due to either having a very bright specular map (passed via 's') or having a high multiplier. specmap variants of the bump shader default to 6x for all the channels, so just try lower values until it looks okay.

the grayscale textures have a colour assigned using virtual slots - take my word for it, vcolor is awesome, I really only use the torley sets these days as a result :D
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks for the article link, that info is exactly what I needed.

Thanks man.
Hirato
Developer
Developer

Re: Icons and such...

Post by Hirato »

Q-Q-Q-Q-Quadruple Post Combo, keep this up and you're going to have more posts than me
Tony wrote:On these icon images, I think the safest way is to make them with solid backgrounds rather than to try and work everything around varying background colors where they are displayed. I've looked at a lot of other games, and they use solid pictures. I see why now. There is no benefit in trying to make transparencies and worrying about how a dark image will show on a black background in one screen, and then in the next screen the BG may be light. Especially when people start making custom UI's.That would resolve some of the artifact issue as well. It is difficult to make an image that will render properly over a black AND a white background. Flat images are cheaper too, that transparency cost some weight... multiply that by 40.. FORTY icon slots... on a screen.
The idea was more to make it easier to change the background for all the icons, as i stated somewhere they're all overlaid onto data/rpg/hud/empty.png, at least they will be when we stop using 3dgui. But for all intents and purposes the icons should be drawn to contrast with that as the background.
Whether we use the alpha channel or not, we already pay the cost of having alpha blending active during the blits, we can just as well use them.
Another thing that I noticed with your magical RPG KeyBind thing... the images there get greyed out pretty bad. It looks like there is an alpha layer over the icon area that is not entirely clear... like it is grey, or rather a very thin black. Like it is shadowed over. Something is up with that, the icons do not look bright when applied to the key-bind button.
Images will only change colour on 2 conditions, otherwise they're rendered at full colour.
Both of these refer to your "wield" slots drawn on the edges of the HUD, they are tinted grey during cooldown periods and tinted red when you have insufficient ammo to use it.

In any case, when we drop 3dgui, everything should look more like this as opposed to this